2017 3* Dual QB Malik Willis Commits to AU!!! 12/30/16

TexasTiger

8 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Roswell has made the state final the last 2 years. They are loaded with talent. Grayson is even more loaded. Auburn is recruiting an OL from Roswell for this classs too.

Still had to have a QB lead them there.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Still had to have a QB lead them there.

This is a perfect QB recruit to me this year now that we have JS and SW.   He is not expected to play for two years which gives him the chance to grow and learn the position and he will either push Woody to get better or get out.  

if we hold onto Gatewood and he is the player we all hope it will set up just nice!    

I'm not sure what all the discussion is about.  Recruiting will never be an exact science.  From watching this kid's tape, he has a pretty good arm, decent speed and some crazy moves.  I have to wonder why he's only a 3 star.  I think he has a tremendous up side.  Welcome to the Family, Malik!!!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, lala said:

This is a perfect QB recruit to me this year now that we have JS and SW.   He is not expected to play for two years which gives him the chance to grow and learn the position and he will either push Woody to get better or get out.  

if we hold onto Gatewood and he is the player we all hope it will set up just nice!    

Apparently he will be here for the spring too so that is great news.

40 minutes ago, saminbama said:

I'm not sure what all the discussion is about.  Recruiting will never be an exact science.  From watching this kid's tape, he has a pretty good arm, decent speed and some crazy moves.  I have to wonder why he's only a 3 star.  I think he has a tremendous up side.  Welcome to the Family, Malik!!!

Sites have only evaluated him as an Athlete. They have not evaluated him as a dual QB yet. His rating may go up if they reevaluate him as a Dual QB.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

On 247 only. On the composite he is much further than that.

Ah, okay. I was just going off of an article I read earlier. None the less, had he played even just his entire SR year like he did the playoffs, I feel like he'd be a much higher prospect. (Obviously) but his playoff/championship performances definitely raises the potential ceiling for him imo 

32 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Anyone here think this kid couldn't hang with Eli Jenkins?

Eli had a 49% pass completion percentage his senior year.  I'd certainly hope so.

He had one good game against an Auburn defense that sucked then. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Eli had a 49% pass completion percentage his senior year.  I'd certainly hope so.

He had one good game against an Auburn defense that sucked then. 

Thanks. My point is that almost no one here knows anything about evaluating quarterbacks. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Thanks. My point is that almost no one here knows anything about evaluating quarterbacks. 

Maybe so. But the rankings are pretty accurate. Like I said, there are many more two and three star players that play to their rank than the ones  that don't.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Maybe so. But the rankings are pretty accurate. Like I said, there are many more two and three star players that play to their rank than the ones  that don't.

Probably, but I would imagine that's because there are so many more 2 and 3 star players than 4 and 5 star players coming out of high school, many of whom may not have been evaluated, or given much exposure. Here's what I do know, the quarterback position is the hardest position to evaluate. Here's what else I know: 

NFL Quarterbacks in 2014

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Probably, but I would imagine that's because there are so many more 2 and 3 star players than 4 and 5 star players coming out of high school, many of whom may not have been evaluated, or given much exposure. Here's what I do know, the quarterback position is the hardest position to evaluate. Here's what else I know: 

NFL Quarterbacks in 2014

Break that down by the % of 5 stars vs the % of 2 stars in the league.  Then you'll understand the star system.

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

NFL Quarterbacks in 2014

Not accusing you of anything, but I need links if you're going to post anything like that...There are some around here that will make up anything to support their argument and not feel one ounce of guilt afterwards.

With the thousands of two and three stars around, you will have some that slips through the cracks. Still, the percentages are incredibly small. Four star and a five star ranks are more exclusive so of course the numbers wont be as high.

As far as QB being hard to evaluate, if the QB has a weak arm and is inaccurate, he wlll not receive much attention. Hence what is going on with Malik. 

Edited by aujeff11

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Break that down by the % of 5 stars vs the % of 2 stars in the league.  Then you'll understand the star system.

Why? We are talking about quarterbacks. Breaking down any other position wouldn't be helpful. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Why? We are talking about quarterbacks. Breaking down any other position wouldn't be helpful. 

I meant QB's.  How many 5 star QB's you think there are each year?  And there are 8 currently in the league?  I'd bet that is a much higher percentage than the percentage of 2 or 3 star QB's is all I'm saying.  Not saying you suck if you aren't a 5 star, but there is a much higher probability that you do.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Not accusing you of anything, but I need links if you're going to post anything like that...There are some around here that will make up anything to support their argument and not feel one ounce of guilt afterwards.

With the thousands of two and three stars around, you will have some that slips through the cracks. Still, the percentages are incredibly small. Four star and a five star ranks are more exclusive so of course the numbers wont be as high.

I'll post a link in a few, and to your second point -  yes, you are right, and that was my point to you earlier. More 2 and 3 stars don't pan out because there are more of them. I don't think anyone is wrong to rely on stars, and I'm certainly not accusing you of relying upon them exclusively, but history tells us that success at the QB position is highly unpredictable, and stars are only a starting point. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It doesn't have to be exclusive to QBs. LMAO. Across the board, the other positions get rated NR to 5* just like the QBs.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

I meant QB's.  How many 5 star QB's you think there are each year?  And there are 8 currently in the league?  I'd bet that is a much higher percentage than the percentage of 2 or 3 star QB's is all I'm saying.  Not saying you suck if you aren't a 5 star, but there is a much higher probability that you do.

Yes, I made this point earlier. Which is why you can't rely upon stars exclusively. If anything the amount of 2 and 3 stars in the NFL shows the difficulties in evaluating the position, and perhaps flaws in how they are rated. 

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

As far as QB being hard to evaluate, if the QB has a weak arm and is inaccurate, he wlll not receive much attention. Hence what is going on with Malik. 

I thought the scouting report on malik said he had a live arm.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

and stars are only a starting point. 

This is exactly what I'm saying. I gave a whole list of factors that can negatively alter the course of an elite high school QBs recruit toward achieving their hype. 

However,  in a nutshell, I don't believe in equality either. Some QBs are more gifted than others at QB and you're more gifted than me in certain things. Jacob Eason had more potential than the latest QB addition to JSU for example and deserved a better rank.

If a Jacob Eason performs like the elite HS QB everybody thought he was, the ratings are never questioned as it was obvious he had the arm strength to be a helluva QB. If a three star performs great, the recruiting system is all of a sudden garbage. This doesn't have to be the case

An obscure three star may defy the odds and outperform his rank as well but that's not necessarily a knock against the ratings.With social media and seven on seven camps, exposure isnt quite the problem it used to be. The recruiting misses may have to do with other  factors unknown during recruitment that eventually molded the three star into a four star+ player. Such as:

-The reverse Brandon Harris- maybe the strengths can be utilized in a better system and the glaring deficiencies become less relevant. System QBs. Think Georgia Tech's Justin Thomas. 

- The late bloomer- Three stars that blossom thanks to late growth spurts.. Or Three stars that finally blossom despite being slow learners, etc. These kids can be athletic their whole lives but never make it to the SEC because of a variety of reasons. I know a 2018 3* kid that runs about a 4.6 but he is too small to make an SEC roster. He could still hit a growth spurt at JSU or UNA and end up being an all-world player. But for now, he is a three star and even though he has taken recruiting visits to Bama and other prestigious schools,  he will be attending a school like UAB unless he gains two inches and about twenty pounds of muscle.

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I thought the scouting report on malik said he had a live arm.

About as live as a dummy round.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

This is exactly what I'm saying. I gave a whole list of factors that can negatively alter the course of an elite high school QBs recruit toward achieving their hype. 

However,  in a nutshell, I don't believe in equality either. Some QBs are more gifted than others at QB and you're more gifted than me in certain things. Jacob Eason had more potential than the latest QB addition to JSU for example and deserved a better rank.

If a Jacob Eason performs like the elite HS QB everybody thought he was, the ratings are never questioned as it was obvious he had the arm strength to be a helluva QB. If a three star performs great, the recruiting system is all of a sudden garbage. This doesn't have to be the case

An obscure three star may defy the odds and outperform his rank as well but that's not necessarily a knock against the ratings.With social media and seven on seven camps, exposure isnt quite the problem it used to be. The recruiting misses may have to do with other  factors unknown during recruitment that eventually molded the three star into a four star+ player. Such as:

-The reverse Brandon Harris- maybe the strengths can be utilized in a better system and the glaring deficiencies become less relevant. System QBs. Think Georgia Tech's Justin Thomas. 

- The late bloomer- Three stars that blossom thanks to late growth spurts.. Or Three stars that finally blossom despite being slow learners, etc. These kids can be athletic their whole lives but never make it to the SEC because of a variety of reasons. I know a 2018 3* kid that runs about a 4.6 but he is too small to make an SEC roster. He could still hit a growth spurt at JSU or UNA and end up being an all-world player. But for now, he is a three star and even though he has taken recruiting visits to Bama and other prestigious schools,  he will be attending a school like UAB unless he gains two inches and about twenty pounds of muscle.

Yeah, I'm not knocking the rating system. I'm knocking the people in this thread who act as if we have no business recruiting a 3-star quarterback. And, I'm trying to point out how difficult the position is to evaluate, in general. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, I'm not knocking the rating system. I'm knocking the people in this thread who act as if we have no business recruiting a 3-star quarterback. And, I'm trying to point out how difficult the position is to evaluate, in general. 

I'm not knocking signing three star QBs. There are still some diamonds in the rough. If anything, I'm more concerned with his film confirming his rank and lack of interest at QB from other schools. We are the only ones that want him at QB. Evaluation may be hard but being the only one to offer should give pause. If it doesn't, then I'm going to attack the hypocrisies on here every time some poster says "great list of offers, nice pickup."

Edited by aujeff11