2017 3* Dual QB Malik Willis Commits to AU!!! 12/30/16

TexasTiger

21 hours ago, DAG said:

I love LJ. However based on his highlights, you can't sit here and tell me he looks like the next big thing at QB. He has a nice little spiral, but he floats the ball quite a bit and doesn't have nearly as much zip on the ball as some of his counterparts. Point being, if you are going to go this route, you have to be able to take the risks. People need not forget, many of the schools recruiting LJ was recruiting him as an athlete. Lousiville took a chance on him as a QB. I am excited for Malik and AU.

Heck,  you couldn't tell from looking at the footage from today's citrus bowl and determine he was the newly crowned Heisman winner.

Welcome Malik!  

• Like 1

Sigh. If I ever really want to read page after page after page after page after page of pointless arguing about pointless points, I know exactly where to come.

The coaches obviously saw enough talent here to make the offer. Welcome to Auburn and WDE, Malik!

• Like 8

Jackson from Louisville was also a "project" you never know what you have until they get on campus.

you can revisit all top 10 prospects from 2011-2015 and see all the high star bust

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

Does anyone know where to stream the grayson vs roswell championship game? A youtube search resulted in nothing.

You may have to contact the Georgia High School Athletic Associate to see if you can buy a copy of it.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

You may have to contact the Georgia High School Athletic Associate to see if you can buy a copy of it.

I just wanted to see how Willis handled the grayson defense which was pretty scrappy.

18 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I just wanted to see how Willis handled the grayson defense which was pretty scrappy.

His highlights from that game are on his hudl video page.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

His highlights from that game are on his hudl video page.

Haha, I wanted to see his bad and mediocre play as well. Thanks for the info you gave me though. Appreciate what you do here.

32 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Haha, I wanted to see his bad and mediocre play as well. Thanks for the info you gave me though. Appreciate what you do here.

GHSA has it available on it's own through Georgia Public Broadcasting as it usually does for big games in the state.

Full game Malik & Roswell vs. Grayson

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

I have no idea what Gus is doing with this recruiting class... why would you take this guy? Is he taking another QB just to take one? Is Woody B's immaturity a serious concern? Is Queen and Franklin done at QB? You have three solid options at QB for the next two years with Gatewood coming in next year. Why add another QB when we only have 5 or 6 spots left in this class?

We only have 1 DL and 1 WR committed. We're likely taking a HB and K in the same class, and we need to upgrade our talent wherever we can. My hope, though unlikely, is to finish out the class with Tyler Taylor, Markaviest Bryant, Aubrey Solomon, Ryan Johnson, Devon Hunter, and Tamorion Terry. Even if we land all of these guys plus Lassiter, we still need to upgrade talent across the board; especially on the OL and in the secondary. So why take another 3* project when that spot could be used to improve in so many other areas?

Edited by CameronCrazy

17 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I have no idea what Gus is doing with this recruiting class... why would you take this guy? Is he taking another QB just to take one? Is Woody B's immaturity a serious concern? Is Queen and Franklin done at QB? You have three solid options at QB for the next two years with Gatewood coming in next year. Why add another QB when we only have 5 or 6 spots left in this class?

We only have 1 DL and 1 WR committed. We're likely taking a HB and K in the same class, and we need to upgrade our talent wherever we can. My hope, though unlikely, is to finish out the class with Tyler Taylor, Markaviest Bryant, Aubrey Solomon, Ryan Johnson, Devon Hunter, and Tamorion Terry. Even if we land all of these guys plus Lassiter, we still need to upgrade talent across the board; especially on the OL and in the secondary. So why take another 3* project when that spot could be used to improve in so many other areas?

Queen and Woody are question marks and Franklin has talked of transferring and likely won't play next year anyway. Gatewood has a long time to change his mind or get hurt. We are hardly deep at QB. Malik probably RS and then either develops at QB or changes to DB or WR. Players with that kind of versatility are less of a risk, IMO.

• Like 1

Plus we lead or have a very real shot at almost every guy you listed, including Solomon and Hunter. 

You take takent where it's needed. HB and Knare two of those spots with Carlson set for one more year and Cox the only scholarship HB on the roster now that Pettway is the feature back. Those are need positions. 

QB was another need position with 2017 looking like one senior, one junior with experience, one sophomore with experience, another with injury issues, and a redshirt freshman. Not a lot of proven commodities or depth at the most important position in the game. 

4 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Tyneil Hopper looked like a pretty good TE. The Roswell coach said he had the best hands on the team.

2018 4* prospect for those wondering.

4 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

You may want to read this...

1. Stidham likely won't be here after 2 years and may leave after 1.

2. Sean will be gone in 2 years.

3. JF3 will transfer or be gone in 1 year.

4. Woody is struggling to develop on and off the field.

5. All signs point to Queen not being a good option in a real game down the line

6. Joey has loads of upside but has not taken many snaps at QB his Soph & Jr seasons high school. It will take him at least 1 but more likely 2 years in college to develop to where he can be a quality starter.

Based on the above AU needs the QB depth and if all goes well for Malik in development & what not he could be ready as a JR or RS Soph after 2 years when Sean is gone & likely Stidham too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

You have three solid options at QB for the next two years 

Who? Stidham and...?

I love Sean when he's healthy, but that qualifier looms larger with every injury. And I certainly can't think of a third "solid option". 

I remember people wondering why we were chasing juco guys last year when we had "5 QBs" already. We've still got all 5 of those guys, yet we're about to play a really important bowl game without a single healthy, P5 caliber quarterback on the roster. 

• Like 1

I think Gus sees the potential in this guy, and frankly so do I. If he doesn't develop then a move is always possible. But Gus has been in on several quality guys, they just haven;t dropped our way. Gus understands that you must take a chance on guys from time to time. So let him recruit the way he wants and then give the guys a chance to develop. I'm sure he has a better perspective than any of us on this board anyway.

On 12/30/2016 at 4:53 PM, aujeff11 said:

And Malik isn't Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson....

Your probably right he won't work out like the two examples most don't but the reason these two were given as examples is to prove that sometimes players who were not rated highly work out. I watched his film also I have a higher opinion then you do based on his film and athleticism but I am not blown away by his passing skills but he could develop and fit into our offense. My big question is can we develop him?

• Like 3