Auburn Ale House

WarDlowe

As I sit here watching the Turds in the Playoffs I am enjoying a variety of local brews my lovely bride bought me for Christmas.  This made me think about the Olde Auburn Ale House, which was a regular establishment I visited during my years as a student at AU.  Does anyone remember this place?  My beer pallet was not nearly as honed as it is now for good beer so I don't know if it was very good or not, but I always enjoyed the fact that I was drinking beer brewed locally in Auburn at a time where local beer was unheard of, even semi-recently.  I always wanted a mug from this place, but $100 was a lot to drop as a college student.  

I found an article explaining how the costs became too much for the owner and he was quoted at the time as saying college students wanted cheap whiskey and beer.  Can you imagine if he'd held on for another year or two what a gold mine that place would be in downtown Auburn?  I'd love to see Auburn get a local brewery to compete with the one in Opelika and wonder if Daryl is still in Auburn and has thought about getting back in the game with the craft beer industry being what it is these days.   The restaurant that's in there now, The Hound, is one of my favorite places to eat when I get back to Auburn these days.  

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2009/01/rising_costs_end_auburn_pubs_b.html 

Archived