Message to Coach Herb Hand

dmoney

Let me start off by saying this, I love the guys we have at on line.... but for future reference,  please recuit whomever Wisconsin is recruiting at oline. They always have road graders... Just sayin... Not bring critical, so dont beat me up in the comments. ?.. 

I think we average more yards per game than they do.  But they do have a good line, but I am always pleased with our line as well.  Always seems like we have top offensive lines.  Even in 2012.  

No, I agree we've had great offensive line.. looking at them now, I know who they are playing, but they seem to have very good olines too. (Also remembering what Melvin Gordon did to us)..... just like lsu and florida with CBs...

34 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

My open letter to Herb..... Please read up on pass pro and picking up blitzes. 

You are spot on. Very few kids out of HS are good Pass blockers they rely on their size to over power smaller and less talented D-Linemen and most HS team stunts and Blitzes are not that well disguised. It is up to the O-Line coach to teach that. Last year we did a very good job of run blocking and we did a decent job of pass blocking when it was our 5 O-Line against 4 D-Line we were not very adept at picking up blitzes.

I would suggest recruiting more linemen from top 6A and 7A programs in Alabama.  I coached at the 6A level before 7A was created and having worked closely with pass protection as a RBs coach.  I can tell you that the top D Coordinators at those levels are difficult to prepare against because they are so good at disguising things and being creative.  Linemen in this state will be prepared IF they played in some of those programs.

Be careful what you wish for. Coach BB @ Arkansas has tried to replicate this with the big uglies. Yes, it has it's benefits but those guys usually have trouble with very fast d-linemen and cardio is also a killer. Often times that huge Arkansas line is tired by the second half. I would see no different, If UW played a full SEC schedule.

Our line has graded out very well....yes there's been missed blocks but mostly vs elite pass rushers ( multiple top 10 picks) and missed blocks by RBs 

What we need to recruit:

Tackles: guys who are 6-5 through 6-7 300 lbs, through 325 lbs.

Guards: guys from 6-3 through 6-6 300 lbs. through 325 lbs.

Center 6-2 through 6-5 285 lbs. through 310 lbs.

All of these linemen should be around 5.00-5.30 forty dash 

This OL looked bad again after that first drive. I know OU started stacking the box, but we were getting no push at the point of attack.

So far I'm not very impressed with Herb Hand as a coach or recruiter. Penn State's OL was garbage when he was there and this year they all of a sudden look great. Coincidence?

I like the guys that Hand has recruited.  He gets what UW does with recruiting, he understands to get guys that are warriors and are smart.  I think we star chase way to often in recent years and don't chase football players and guys who love the game.  Star ratings by these recruiting services mainly go by summer amps when nothing matters.  They build up guys who test well, because quote they have potential, but potential can never be reached if you don't love it and want it.

9 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I like the guys that Hand has recruited.  He gets what UW does with recruiting, he understands to get guys that are warriors and are smart.  I think we star chase way to often in recent years and don't chase football players and guys who love the game.  Star ratings by these recruiting services mainly go by summer amps when nothing matters.  They build up guys who test well, because quote they have potential, but potential can never be reached if you don't love it and want it.

It might be a little early to judge Hand's recruiting.  His scheming seems to be another story.

I do agree with the spirit of your post.  The star system seems mostly about measurables and pro potential.  I tend to believe linemen should be evaluated as much, or more on toughness, meanness, determination, heart, whatever you want to call it.  

That fourth down and less than a yard was very telling in regard to how the coaches feel about the physical toughness of the OL.

I also agree we need to wait on Hand after this next season to see how the new OL starters do.  Hand came on board late so he did not have much time to recruit in 2016.  He may have the best OL recruiting class in the nation for 2017 with one 5-star and two 4-stars coming in.  If they actually sign their LOI we can say he is a great recruiter so far.  And if our OL does a good job in 2017 we can say he is also a good coach.  By that point we can chalk it up to his coaching, not Grimes' coaching like you could make an argument for this year.  I am curious to see how Horton or one of the Princes handle the starting job.

I have not been impressed by Hand to this point,hope he improves.I know it's hard to block when the defense knows what play is coming but with the talent we have I expected more from this years O-line.

11 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

This OL looked bad again after that first drive. I know OU started stacking the box, but we were getting no push at the point of attack.

So far I'm not very impressed with Herb Hand as a coach or recruiter. Penn State's OL was garbage when he was there and this year they all of a sudden look great. Coincidence?

been like that everywhere he has coached....we had a good line coach in jb

• 2 weeks later...

Because I feel coach Hand is did a good job with our OL in 2016, I know he'll do a better job next year with the guys we have coming back the guys that will be in our signee class for 2017. I hope he stays as OL coach and not try to wear two hats OL coach and OC.

On 1/2/2017 at 8:59 PM, auburn4ever said:

They have a better OL then Auburn has. Hand isn't getting the job done. Neither is Lashlee but that's no surprise.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Because I feel coach Hand is did a good job with our OL in 2016, I know he'll do a better job next year with the guys we have coming back the guys that will be in our signee class for 2017. I hope he stays as OL coach and not try to wear two hats OL coach and OC.

What happened in the last 12 days to change your mind?

Archived