2017 4* WR Oliver Martin

ellitor

4_4862518.jpg

Iowa City, IA (West Senior)

Ht 6-0.5 Wt 188

40 4.65, Shuttle 4.15, Vert 37.80

AU offered 1/1/17

12 P5 conference offers and high independents including ND, Oregon, Michigan, Wisky, & Mich St.

Believed to be a skilled route runner & have real good hands

May OV AU on Jan. 20th

Sr stats: 85 catches for 1272 yards and 14 TDs

Jr stats: 72 catches for 1208 yards & 17 TDs

Sr Highlights

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched most of his film. Incredible. Kid is so skilled. Would love for him to move south and play for AU. What is is the word on him. You don't typically see offers late like this unless the kid has expressed some real interest.

25 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I watched most of his film. Incredible. Kid is so skilled. Would love for him to move south and play for AU. What is is the word on him. You don't typically see offers late like this unless the kid has expressed some real interest.

Still early with him and AU. Gotta see if he visits.

2 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

why would any decent receiver want to play for us?....i mean, really?

We can change this mindset if we adapt our offense to the skillset of the excellent QB we now have I the fold. Watching the s--show I've seen for two straight years now I am not hopeful. Mr. Martin looks like he could be an excellent weapon if signed and utilized appropriately.

3 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

why would any decent receiver want to play for us?....i mean, really?

Because next year we have a QB that has already proven he can throw the rock.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Because next year we have a QB that has already proven he can throw the rock.

But will Gus and co let him throw on anything other than third and long is the question?

39 minutes ago, kd4au said:

But will Gus and co let him throw on anything other than third and long is the question?

I think so. I think Gus will have a lot of trust in Stidham. I just hope it comes before game 4.

In the first drive against OU he let SW throw, he let CAM throw, and he let NM throw.  It is not that he won't let his QB's throw it is he won't let a QB he doesn't trust throw.  He initially let JJ throw last year but the results were so ugly he stopped letting him throw he lost confidence in JJ and because of that he was originally very tentative with SW.  Last night he tried to let JF3 throw maybe because of his arm tightening up or because of what they have seen in practice he realized that was a bad idea.

So for those who say Gus won't let his QB's throw it has more to do with the QB than Gus's philosophy.  Any criticism of Gus in the Clemson game was well deserved, I think Gus has lost a little confidence and it is reflected in his play calling. He misjudged JJ badly and it has effected his confidence. He needs Stidham to be the man next year partly to keep his job but also to give him back his offensive swagger.

Gus will have to learn how to be more creative as many coaches have learned you don't always end up with the best QB. Gus has not shown the ability to work around his QB weaknesses and to adapt to the QB's strength's. However his two backups are so flawed that I am not sure who could have made them appear better than they were. Many myself thought that he did not use JF3's legs enough last night I saw why yes he is fast but if you blow on him he goes down. JJ a true Auburn man with so many tools but for whatever reason he can't read the defense and he locks onto his receiver, he has the heart of a champion and I wish he could have found a way to live up to his hype.

After this season it seems apparent there are several things Gus needs work on.  Lord only knows how long it will take him and boy wonder who will open the season as the starting QB.

Seriously Iowa football?  4.65 receiver?  Are they expecting Hastings to declare for the draft early?  This kid have any onside kickoff experience?  I don't get this one.  Probably great in the Big 10 in super cold, bad weather conditions.  Doubt he would get open in the SEC.

9 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Seriously Iowa football?  4.65 receiver?  Are they expecting Hastings to declare for the draft early?  This kid have any onside kickoff experience?  I don't get this one.  Probably great in the Big 10 in super cold, bad weather conditions.  Doubt he would get open in the SEC.

He's doing very well this week at Army Bowl Practice including 1 day he went up against East team's SEC committed DBs. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Hopefully Oliver is a better WR than Hastings. We could use a Julian Edelman around here.

15 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In the first drive against OU he let SW throw, he let CAM throw, and he let NM throw.  It is not that he won't let his QB's throw it is he won't let a QB he doesn't trust throw.  He initially let JJ throw last year but the results were so ugly he stopped letting him throw he lost confidence in JJ and because of that he was originally very tentative with SW.  Last night he tried to let JF3 throw maybe because of his arm tightening up or because of what they have seen in practice he realized that was a bad idea.

So for those who say Gus won't let his QB's throw it has more to do with the QB than Gus's philosophy.  Any criticism of Gus in the Clemson game was well deserved, I think Gus has lost a little confidence and it is reflected in his play calling. He misjudged JJ badly and it has effected his confidence. He needs Stidham to be the man next year partly to keep his job but also to give him back his offensive swagger.

Gus will have to learn how to be more creative as many coaches have learned you don't always end up with the best QB. Gus has not shown the ability to work around his QB weaknesses and to adapt to the QB's strength's. However his two backups are so flawed that I am not sure who could have made them appear better than they were. Many myself thought that he did not use JF3's legs enough last night I saw why yes he is fast but if you blow on him he goes down. JJ a true Auburn man with so many tools but for whatever reason he can't read the defense and he locks onto his receiver, he has the heart of a champion and I wish he could have found a way to live up to his hype.

What concerns me when we do throw is it is almost always with at least one defender draped on our receiver, and sometimes two or three.  That's a huge indicator that our route schemes are flawed. It's hard for any QB to be crisp when that happens regularly. About a third of OUs passes against us were to wide open receivers. That rarely happens for us. I hope we work that out soon because we have some game breaker type receivers on the roster now. 

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's doing very well this week at Army Bowl Practice including 1 day he went up against East team's SEC committed DBs. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

I think I found video of him at practice, but only one clip and I only think it's him, not 100% sure.  At least he looks physical and fights through the DB, but he still doesn't look very fast.  But, if he's tough and will fight through press and bump/run and battle for the ball bring him on.

Was supposed to embed at 2:30 but didn't so that is where I think Martin runs a route.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Funny that someone is comparing Oliver to Hastings... I wonder why... :-\

Because they're comparable. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Funny that someone is comparing Oliver to Hastings... I wonder why... :-\

You're saying we have someone slower and shorter on the team that played this year that I should have picked?  Nice bait though.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Because they're comparable. 

5'7 White unrated walk on backup Onside Kicker turned receiver and white middle of the pact 95 rated WR 5'11.5 who is an Army All American. The only thing comparable is their skin color.

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You're saying we have someone slower and shorter on the team that played this year that I should have picked?  Nice bait though.

See my reply to Jeff. Hastings and Oliver aren't even remotely comparable. 

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Hastings is one of the most athletic guys on the team. 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

The only thing comparable is their skin color.

And this is a lie. 

Nice job of race baiting though. I'm sure @TitanTiger appreciates it.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Hastings is one of the most athletic guys on the team. 

And productive...lol. But Clayton says they aren't comparable.  So you're saying Martin isn't athletic?

Look, I'm making a comparison about undersized receivers and slow forty times.  Someone tried to race bait.  Didn't work.  Move on.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

See my reply to Jeff. Hastings and Oliver aren't even remotely comparable. 

Who is Oliver comparable to? 

He isn't a downfield WR.

He is a 4.65 route runner.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

And this is a lie. 

Nice job of race baiting though. I'm sure @TitanTiger appreciates it.

No race baiting. How are they comparable Jeff? Tell me.

Archived