2017 4* WR Oliver Martin

ellitor

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

He reminds me a lot of me, I'd say

Funny - I was just thinking to myself, "This kid sure reminds me of Barnacle".

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Meta has already shown enough wholes in it.

Maybe you should point them "wholes" out. His retorts were inaccurate and his argument, misguided.  I called both Hastings and Oliver possession receivers and all of a sudden I'm comparing only to the other white receiver. However he agrees with another poster that Oliver's game could be comparable to another slow possession receiver. 

Also, the two receivers are not several inches apart. Hastings is actually faster than the other. Just to confirm that Oliver is indeed white though, he also could've joined the collegiate swim team as well. Is that racist, or is that justpointing out 95% of all collegiate swimmers are white?

3 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

What's the chance we get this guy?

Too soon to tell. Gotta get him on campus on the 20th first.

Just now, triangletiger said:

Funny - I was just thinking to myself, "This kid sure reminds me of Barnacle".

I am pasty white and 5'11", and I do have good hands, soooo I'm just sayin' 

But seriously, what's so funny about calling some of these kids "average athletes" is that they really aren't. An average athlete in D1 is an elite athlete in high school. The fastest WR on my high school team ran a 4.6 40, and he was blazing fast, compared to almost everyone that we played. I ran a sizzling 5.0 and was still faster than a lot of wide receivers that we played in Alabama 5A football. 

No kidding. I've had the pleasure of playing other sports with future D1 football players and of playing pick up football with a number of D1 guys. They're almost all CRAZY athletes. The only guy I shared a field with that seemed mortal was a guy named Tee Milons (Freddie Milons' little brother if you remember Freddie at Bama). He was meh. He went on to have basically no impact at MSU. Still, he was fast as all get out.

I'll also say Will Herring seemed like a mortal on a basketball court. He didn't have hops. He just fouled a lot.

I watched the video which I think was junior year highlights. Martin has all the moves and is very athletic.  Not a world class sprinter but definitely looks faster than 4.65 pulling away from everyone.  However I doubt many of the defenders were D-1 prospects either. But hard to argue with no. of catches and yards gained.  And then coming back with even better numbers as a senior with a huge reputation and probably facing double or triple coverage.  As we say kid appears to be a baller.

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Heck I ran a 10.3 in the 100 way back when...........talk about hijacking a thread.

Ten and a half minutes sucks, old man. No wonder why you stuck with Golf. That's definitely your pace.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ten and a half minutes sucks, old man. No wonder why you stuck with Golf. That's definitely your pace.

well.........................as  Jack Benny would say

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

well.........................as  Jack Benny would say

Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air.

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Heck I ran a 10.3 in the 100 way back when...........talk about hijacking a thread.

And now, your electric wheelchair is even faster. 

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air.

You have no idea who I have played golf with on the female side. She lived in Orlando at the time. Now back to Mr. Oliver

51 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Dude, the yard measurement was based on the length of a Roman's forearm back then and called a cubit.  Closer to 100 ft. than 100 yds today. 

Can we now argue about speed vs. quickness vs. football speed vs. crisp route running vs. pads vs. shorts vs. handtimed vs. electronic timed vs. laser timed vs. accurate height/weight reporting vs. what they get at the NFL combine?  I need to keep my mouth shut more often.  All I meant is that I'm not gonna get excited about an ~ 6 ft. 170 - 180 lb. WR playing HS ball in Iowa with a reported 4.65 forty time.  Hell, he may be the next Dwight Clark or Chris Collinsworth for all I know (wait are they white too?). :rollin:

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I am pasty white and 5'11", and I do have good hands, soooo I'm just sayin' 

But seriously, what's so funny about calling some of these kids "average athletes" is that they really aren't. An average athlete in D1 is an elite athlete in high school. The fastest WR on my high school team ran a 4.6 40, and he was blazing fast, compared to almost everyone that we played. I ran a sizzling 5.0 and was still faster than a lot of wide receivers that we played in Alabama 5A football. 

Nice to meet you Sean. How's your shoulder and arm doing?

3 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

Jerry Rice ran a 4.59 at the NFL combine...I would love to have Oliver wearing the orange and blue of my Auburn Tigers!

So did Cam

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Ahh. They had you chasing a PBR didn't they.

Archived