Looking on to 2017 (Merged)

WDE_OxPx_2010

The defense has been righted. We'll be in every game again. Solid line, the backers are playing very well, and the secondary looks like the best we've had in a decade.

We have gone and gotten our 'much needed' QB (I still believe in SW, personally) and have new and returning weapons all over the field on Offense.

We have the (should be) best FG kicker in the nation coming back.

2017 it's SEC Title and playoff or bust for Auburn. For me, an avid Gus supporter, this will be the last year I'll accept mediocrity add excuses. I'll look for no less than 10 wins. If he can't do it, then it's time to start turning the heat back on the seat. 

And it starts on 1/2/17. Watch out, Sooners. You're about to be hit by a train.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see your point....but I don't recall Gus making excuses or being mediocre. Not many teams will make the playoff getting their #1 QB and RB injured, especially in the crunch month of November...I just want to see the team come out with a defined offensive identity and not wait until game 4 or 5...the QB position looks good with JS and SW both in the fold....get UGA and Updyke U at home...no reason for another 8-4 season...

48 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

The defense has been righted. We'll be in every game again. Solid line, the backers are playing very well, and the secondary looks like the best we've had in a decade.

We have gone and gotten our 'much needed' QB (I still believe in SW, personally) and have new and returning weapons all over the field on Offense.

Spoiler

2017 it's SEC Title and playoff or bust for Auburn. For me, an avid Gus supporter, this will be the last year I'll accept mediocrity add excuses. I'll look for no less than 10 wins. If he can't do it, then it's time to start turning the heat back on the seat. 

no, it won't be time to turn up the heat....if he doesn't win at least ten games, it time to replace him...no more excuses

1 hour ago, tombigbeetiger said:

no, it won't be time to turn up the heat....if he doesn't win at least ten games, it time to replace him...no more excuses

I do think if we are 9-3 with the 3 loses in tight or overtime games will show enough progress to keep the Gus bus rolling. 10+ wins would be super and we should come very close or hopefully surpass 9 wins. I do feel that we are close to turning the corner for a good deal of successful seasons ahead. I do not want to get into a UGA Richt scenario with getting someone who could actually worse than Gus. Success and stability go hand in hand.

'PUT UP OR GET OUT'...I can't understand people defending an employee paid 4.5 mil a year and producing so many poorly coached games.  I love Auburn...not Gus...

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

I don't recall Gus making excuses or being mediocre. Not many teams will make the playoff getting their #1 QB and RB injured, especially in the crunch month of November...

I agree. I was anticipating the negative Nancys. I've been a firm supporter of Gus and the team progress to this point. I'm not going to be so forgiving next year. It's time to get it done. I believe 17 will be the year it all happens and gets us going

I agree with those who haven't heard Gus offering excuses. I also feel like there aren't any excuses in football. Reasons yes, excuses no. There is a difference. With that said, yes, it's time for head scratching losses to stop. Auburn needs to beat the teams they should beat, period and it's not a rivalry if you don't win half of the games. The UGA thing has got to stop. 

For those who say put up or get out. What will it take for you. Obviously 8 or 9 isn't enough (I agree). Is it 10, 11 or NC. If it's NC or nothing you need to get out. I don't know if we beat Okie or not but if SW tells the coaches he is hurt we beat GA I know everyone will disagree and say the coaches should have known, it's just my opinion. That would be one more win for this year. I know you can't go back again jus my opinion.   

I agree bg5 that if SW had told the coaches and we played JFIII the second half, we beat Georgia.  That might would have changed perception tremendously.  I don't like the Clemson and A&M losses but can handle them.  Just hate the uga loss.  But when CGM is "chastized" for playing multiple QBs (granted play calling wasn't great early in the season) early, then is "chastized" because he didn't play other QBs, you can understand some perplexion.

"chastized" i use loosely as I am talking more about board chatter than anyone in authority.

32 minutes ago, bg5 said:

For those who say put up or get out. What will it take for you. Obviously 8 or 9 isn't enough (I agree). Is it 10, 11 or NC. If it's NC or nothing you need to get out. I don't know if we beat Okie or not but if SW tells the coaches he is hurt we beat GA I know everyone will disagree and say the coaches should have known, it's just my opinion. That would be one more win for this year. I know you can't go back again jus my opinion.   

Be, for me it's not about the number of wins and losses. Don't get me wrong I want to win them all. However, my issue with Gus is he never seems to make adjustments to his going in game plan. His motto seems to be 'I have a plan and be damned if I'm going to change.' (My opinion only). As far as SW telling the coaches, I'm one who does not believe SW should have had to tell the coaches he wasn't 100%. If some random viewer (no football expert) can tell SW is not 100%  from his living room, then I find it hard to believe the coaches didn't know. With that said, that could have very well have kept SW in due to the lack of confidence in either of the other options. Either way, as frustrating as this year was at times I'm ready for next year. War Eagle!

Gus has recruited well since he has been here. That being said, I feel other than landing Stidham, that success will slip some this year. He has got to perform at a new level next season, or the downhill slide to the program will be unrepairable without a regime change. The man has lost 12 of his last 19 SEC games. That will get you ran off at Vanderbilt, much less Auburn. He needs to win at least 10, and at least one of those has to be GA, or Bama.

Haha Gus isn't going anywhere, even if we win just 8 games. I think it would have to be a complete meltdown of a season for CGM to get fired. I am talking 6 wins or less. 

We hear the same thing every year. AU administration has shown they are happy with mediocrity and I see no reason that will change following another 7-5 or 8-4 next year which will almost assuredly include another loss to UGA. We have lost 2 straight games to the worst UGA teams I have seen in 30 years. This is the current state of AU football.

2 minutes ago, CR said:

We hear the same thing every year. AU administration has shown they are happy with mediocrity and I see no reason that will change following another 7-5 or 8-4 next year which will almost assuredly include another loss to UGA. We have lost 2 straight games to the worst UGA teams I have seen in 30 years. This is the current state of AU football.

Sad, very sad.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Haha Gus isn't going anywhere, even if we win just 8 games. I think it would have to be a complete meltdown of a season for CGM to get fired. I am talking 6 wins or less. 

Unfortunately you are probably right. When the stadium begins to repeatedly half full they will wake up.

IF the AD doesn't change, we can't replace GM.  Another JJ hire will put us down to Mississippi's (both) and Arkansas level fighting out for last place in SEC.

GM should be replaced if he wins fewer than 9 regular season games with at least one of the wins being UGA or Bama.

GM should be replaced if he runs the Cox whirlybird and Cox touches a direct snap from center.

GM should be replaced if he doesn't have a viable option at QB by the first game of the season.

But, with so many accepting of mediocrity, I'm not holding my breath.

7 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

It must also be said that footballs bounce funny

Look no one doubts Gus can coach. The question is can he get out of his own way. It is not so much about wins and losses, it is about the stupid things he does. The Clemson QB fiasco. The follow up at TAM. His stupidity of playing SW in the uga game when any intelligent person could see that SW was actually costing us a game that we could win. I don't believe he played him because SW said he wasn't hurt. If Gus could not see it then I am sure his coaches in the press box could. This isn't about injuries. Every team has them. It is about the immature mistakes that Gus continues to make. If he seemed to be learning from them that would be a start, but so far I do not see that. I hope we turn it around. I like Gus. But if he continues to make dumb decisions that continue to cost us then it is time to move on. JS is good but I can assure you he cannot succeed if Gus continues his bonehead moves. WDE

Be careful what you wish for..the grass is not always greener on the other side. I don't think UGA or LSU will benefit much from their post firings. There just aren't many great coaches out there. I do believe CGM should be expected to win at least 9 games next year, but unless we completely crap the bed, I don't know if a firing should be warranted, UNLESS their is a slam dunk hire truly available. No point in firing CGM to pick up P.J. Fleck. 

We could very easily, actually should have, been a 10 win team in 2016. So a 10 win regular season is a reasonable expectation for the 2017 team. He will probably be ok with 9 wins.

Archived