Franklin Staying

lionheartkc

No clue what position he'll be playing, unless he wants to finish his career as a 3rd of 4th string QB behind Stidham and White (and maybe Barrett), but...

“I plan on being here for my fifth year. I’m graduating from Auburn and playing my last season here,” Franklin III said after the game.

Full Story:
http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-quarterback-John-Franklin-III-returning-for-senior-season-50244963?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170103_091613_Auburn Tigers&utm_content=Link

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No clue what position he'll be playing, unless he wants to finish his career as a 3rd of 4th string QB behind Stidham and White (and maybe Barrett), but...

In his interview he said he is open to changing positions.  Most likely a jet sweep guy or wide receiver.  Here is his quote:

"That's fine, whatever (I need) to do to help my team win.  I'm a team player first. If I can contribute, I really just want the ball in my hands at the end of the day. So however I can get that to happen, I'm willing to do whatever."

Just now, abw0004 said:

In his interview he said he is open to changing positions.  Most likely a jet sweep guy or wide receiver.  Here is his quote:

"That's fine, whatever (I need) to do to help my team win.  I'm a team player first. If I can contribute, I really just want the ball in my hands at the end of the day. So however I can get that to happen, I'm willing to do whatever."

Yea... he said that earlier in the season, too. If he ends up as a speed back, he's going to need to practice protecting the ball. Every time he's in traffic I hold my breath and hope he and the ball end up in the same place.

Not to attack the player, but who cares?  Hes an awful qb.  He has terrible ball handling skills, and he is not big enough to take any hits.  There is literally nothing save his speed to redeem the worth  the scholarship he is taking up.  And we already have players that fill the McCaleb role for this offense who are better suited to the task.

I cannot see Franklin III taking snaps from Truitt or Martin.We already have young, quality receivers we are not utilizing to their potential. He is a player without a position. Maybe he can join the track team. 

You guys are being awful flippant and dismissive about a kid who's willing to stay and change his role if it helps the team.

I say welcome back John!  

And War Eagle!

16 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I'd be all for that move. However, i feel like wouldn't even attempt to utilize him enough. We can't even use our TE. A TE that has been targeted twice and both times scored a TD....go figure. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I'd be all for that move. However, i feel like wouldn't even attempt to utilize him enough. We can't even use our TE. A TE that has been targeted twice and both times scored a TD....go figure. 

amazing ain't it?....but malzahn is a genius, right?

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You guys are being awful flippant and dismissive about a kid who's willing to stay and change his role if it helps the team.

I say welcome back John!

I think he's rubbed many the wrong way. I don't have a problem with him. Do i think he's a bit smug and immature..yes but he wants to win and contribute and can help if given the chance. Not saying that has to be at QB but he can help if he learns to secure the football better. 

1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

I cannot see Franklin III taking snaps from Truitt or Martin.We already have young, quality receivers we are not utilizing to their potential. He is a player without a position. Maybe he can join the track team. 

So you're saying he won't get to rush for over 100 yards against our FBC opponent next year? ;D

Put him in the slot and see what happens. You can't teach speed so if he contributes at all would be gravy. Why the heck not. 

Does anybody think JF is afraid of contact and that's why offense doesn't click when he's in there? I'm no expert on the zone read but it seems he should be keeping the ball more than he does. 

Just now, tgr4life said:

Does anybody think JF is afraid of contact and that's why offense doesn't click when he's in there? I'm no expert on the zone read but it seems he should be keeping the ball more than he does. 

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gus has told him to give it more than keeping it, because he struggles with ball security in traffic.

Well he dates someone from the softball team Haley Fagan, that obviously played a part. If I was him i would switch to WR. His speed with get him a practice spot on an NFL roster as you cant teach speed. 

Denard Robinson made the transition

This discussion reminds me of another situation where Auburn wasted talent. Chizik s staff kept Trovon Reed at WR for three years and promised to get him more involved each year. They never did, finally moving him to DB where he played as a reserve his senior year. Now he is an NFL corner, picking passes. JF3 should move to CB. 

1 hour ago, CCslim said:

Well he dates someone from the softball team Haley Fagan, that obviously played a part. If I was him i would switch to WR. His speed with get him a practice spot on an NFL roster as you cant teach speed. 

Denard Robinson made the transition

So did Kodi Burns, which might be more relevant to the situation.

5 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I think he's rubbed many the wrong way. I don't have a problem with him. Do i think he's a bit smug and immature..yes but he wants to win and contribute and can help if given the chance. Not saying that has to be at QB but he can help if he learns to secure the football better. 

I like the kid. I agree he rubbed some wrong but I don't know how. I just don't think he is a qb. 

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

This discussion reminds me of another situation where Auburn wasted talent. Chizik s staff kept Trovon Reed at WR for three years and promised to get him more involved each year. They never did, finally moving him to DB where he played as a reserve his senior year. Now he is an NFL corner, picking passes. JF3 should move to CB. 

I was thinking the same thing. If he has the skill set. Lot more to playing corner than just speed.

Archived