Projected 2017 Starting Lineup

thaitopher

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's a TON of guesswork, but I'd be inclined to say yes. Offense would look something like this:

LT:  James or Ashley
LG:  Horton or James
C:  Golson
RG:  Smith
RT:  Ashley or Tega
TE:  Canella
HB:  Cox
RB:  Pettway/Johnson
WR:  Stove or R. Davis
WR:  K. Davis
WR:  Slayton or Craig-Myers
QB:  Stidham

DE:  Davidson
DT:  Russell
DT:  Brown
DE:  Holland or P. James
OLB:  D. Williams
MLB:  D. Davis
OLB:  T. Williams
NB:  Thomas or Roberts
CB:  C. Davis
S:  Roberts or Ruffin
S:  Matthews
CB:  J. Davis or Dean

That's a pretty solid starting group on both sides of the ball with very good OL and DL talent. It's a fine automobile for any QB.

I am good with the returning DL and depth and the Lbs but we need to see the DB group better coached and deeper, than what we saw especially last night. OL, RB and WR's groups look good. We will have to see what we have in JS. I don't think there is enough film yet to anoint him as the perfect replacement. And even if he is good, do we have a viable backup. We don't want to repeat this year, where coaches had no faith in the backups.

15 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I am good with the returning DL and depth and the Lbs but we need to see the DB group better coached and deeper, than what we saw especially last night. OL, RB and WR's groups look good. We will have to see what we have in JS. I don't think there is enough film yet to anoint him as the perfect replacement. And even if he is good, do we have a viable backup. We don't want to repeat this year, where coaches had no faith in the backups.

Really looking forward to seeing how much our offense can improve with JS taking over. From watching Baylor's 2015 games when JS started, I got extremely excited and have major confidence that Stidham will be a great replacement. His stats during his starts against KSU (419 pass yards w/ 3TDs), #12 Oklahoma (257 yards w/ 2 TDs) , and #6 OK state (258 yards w/ 1 TD & 36 rush yards). Those stats are REALLY good especially from a freshman. From what I saw, he is extremely accurate, has a cannon for an arm, and when he gets pressured the guy is quick on his feet and can scramble for good yardage. I am looking forward to seeing how good he does with our play-makers at WR and hoping that his arm adds a much needed dimension to our offense.  

I know that he was playing against Big 12 defenses but pretty much the same defense (minus 3 NFL draft picks their D had last year) that gave us fits last night, allowed him to throw for 257 and 2 TDs compared to our 154 yards and 1 int showing from 3 different QBs.

6 minutes ago, WarEagleManiac15 said:

Really looking forward to seeing how much our offense can improve with JS taking over. From watching Baylor's 2015 games when JS started, I got extremely excited and have major confidence that Stidham will be a great replacement. His stats during his starts against KSU (419 pass yards w/ 3TDs), #12 Oklahoma (257 yards w/ 2 TDs) , and #6 OK state (258 yards w/ 1 TD & 36 rush yards). Those stats are REALLY good especially from a freshman. From what I saw, he is extremely accurate, has a cannon for an arm, and when he gets pressured the guy is quick on his feet and can scramble for good yardage. I am looking forward to seeing how good he does with our play-makers at WR and hoping that his arm adds a much needed dimension to our offense.  

I know that he was playing against Big 12 defenses but pretty much the same defense (minus 3 NFL draft picks their D had last year) that gave us fits last night, allowed him to throw for 257 and 2 TDs compared to our 154 yards and 1 int showing from 3 different QBs.

remember, he had a different set of coaches at baylor....they knew how to develope a real offense, even though they didn't run the whirlybird at all

Just now, tombigbeetiger said:

remember, he had a different set of coaches at baylor....they knew how to develope a real offense, even though they didn't run the whirlybird at all

That is true, but at the same time I feel like this kid has SO much talent and potential. Doubt that there will be any need for the Cox-cat/whirlybird...but then again there was no need for it this year for that matter.

53 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

We do get two DB's back from injury next year along with a few redshirt freshmen.  So that's good.  

As far as projecting stuff, it might be best to wait until after signing day so we know who he have and who we don't have.  Aside from early enrollees, it is all verbal commits.  

29 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

We do get two DB's back from injury next year along with a few redshirt freshmen.  So that's good.  

As far as projecting stuff, it might be best to wait until after signing day so we know who he have and who we don't have.  Aside from early enrollees, it is all verbal commits.  

I agree about signing day but we both know that not a lot of freshman that don't make spring ball are going to be ready to contribute early in the fall. That's why we are just looking at what will be available this spring.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Well, it's a TON of guesswork, but I'd be inclined to say yes. Offense would look something like this:

That's a pretty solid starting group on both sides of the ball with very good OL and DL talent. It's a fine automobile for any QB.

There's a whole lot to like there. 

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I like this. I am still baffled at how little NCM played this year.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Meh, probably couldn't block as good as Hastings.

Just now, oracle79 said:

Hastings has no business being out there. I for the life of me cannot understand how he is getting more PT than NCM

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

I thought he was hurt most of the year? 

57 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I thought he was hurt most of the year? 

He was scored a touchdown in one of those midseason games where JF3 scored on his first run and then threw a perfect TD to him. Pretty sure he had sub 5 catches since then 

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He was scored a touchdown in one of those midseason games where JF3 scored on his first run and then threw a perfect TD to him. Pretty sure he had sub 5 catches since then 

I remember that TD, but I could have sworn someone said he was out with an injury after that. Or maybe it was his brother...

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Where is Byron Coward on that list?  Am I missing something?

I think Boston takes a safety spot and Dean takes one of the outside spots and Davis plays nickel. 

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Also, don't forget about Coe (man child) on D and Prince Sammons on O.   I think we will be deep in all positions with those that red shirted and those returning from injury, as well as the early enrollees this month.  It's all got to come together though and that is on the coaches.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

He was not running crisp enough routes for Gus's taste.

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

I remember that TD, but I could have sworn someone said he was out with an injury after that. Or maybe it was his brother...

Brother.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I think Boston takes a safety spot and Dean takes one of the outside spots and Davis plays nickel. 

Agreed about Boston...which Davis are you referring?

1 hour ago, roe4christ said:

Where is Byron Coward on that list?  Am I missing something?

To big and not explosive enough to be a weakside end and at this point I don't see him beating out Russell, Brown, or Davidson for 1 of the other 3 starting spots.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

J. Davis. My bad

I think he or D. Thomas although Thomas got lost a few times during the bowl game.

Archived