Projected 2017 Starting Lineup

thaitopher

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think he or D. Thomas although Thomas got lost a few times during the bowl game.

He has not done too bad considering the two games he has really played in was Alabama and Oklahoma.  If he only makes a few mistakes in those caliber games with how inexperienced he his, I think this kid can really be something special.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

He has not done too bad considering the two games he has really played in was Alabama and Oklahoma.  If he only makes a few mistakes in those caliber games with how inexperienced he his, I think this kid can really be something special.

Please don't take my criticism of Thomas as me thinking he won't be any good.  He has played very well considering how and when he came in to the season. I love his aggressiveness, but like we saw with Therezie, that aggressiveness can get you out if position at times.  I like his upside and think he will do very well.

We must throw the ball.  That group of freshman WR's need to step up in their Soph year and we need to get them the ball.  An effective passing game will open things up for Big Bubba and KJ when the defenses are no longer able to crowd the LOS.  It may be that Gus needs to bring in a passing game coordinator because he and Rhett clearly don't know WTF they are doing when it comes to throwing the football.  

I think we have a ton of depth, especially at DL and in the secondary. My rough run at a starting lineup could shift drastically from players moving or just competition. I don't think Javaris Davis has the size to play Nickel. That position has to be filled with someone that can have an impact in the run game as well as cover. That's why Rudy Ford was so good there. I don't see it with Javaris. He's a CB.

Dean absolutely could the spot opposite Carlton Davis, but I could just as easily see us shifting him inside to Nickel or back to Safety, given his size. He's bigger than Stephen Roberts.

Interesting that multiple folks like Boston to take a Safety position. I liked what I saw this year, but I'd put him well behind Roberts and Matthews.

Daniel Thomas looked great for a true freshman. I have really high hopes for him.

Everybody seems to see the O-line as a strength I must be in the minority. We lose our RT Leff who actually played really well this year and Kozan. James to me looked like a guard playing tackle maybe he can play RT but I don't see him as a LT. That means we have a freshman Ashley though talented still a freshman and the two Prince's who are talented but learning how to be O-Linemen. That does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

Up till the OU game I wasn't worried about our D part of the beat down was the OU talent but part was how they exploited both our strength's and our weaknesses on D. Other coaches saw this. I have been a Steele fan all year but I was shocked by the lack of adjustments during the game and especially after half time. It was like what I have been doing has worked why should I make adjustments. I am hoping this was a one time aberration.

Unlike many I have faith in Gus throwing to our receivers this year as Stidham has similar skill set to SW on short and mid-range passes and superior skill set on long passes with more mobility to buy time and find receivers. Gus has shown with CAM and NM he will mix up pass and run and throw both when expected and when not expected.

The lineups people have presented are pretty solid on paper now to see if the coaches can get them playing as cohesive units.

1 minute ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Our DB depth has really improved... Dean, Davis's, Dinson, Roberts, Boston, Mathews, Thomas. Plus guys like Character, Brossuard and Myers to push for PT. 

Our depth at safety is not very good. Mathews, Roberts, Ruffin, Boston, Character, Thomas. 3 graduate next year. That means we can't have a miss with any of the others.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think he or D. Thomas although Thomas got lost a few times during the bowl game.

Yes I could see that too. I can also see us being better in the secondary but maybe not show it statically because I don't think the pass rush will be as good

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yes I could see that too. I can also see us being better in the secondary but maybe not show it statically because I don't think the pass rush will be as good

Agreed. We need an elite pass rusher at end. As good as Lawson is he isn't an elite pass rusher. We need a Groves/McGlover type that can play in the backfield consistently

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Agreed. We need an elite pass rusher at end. As good as Lawson is he isn't an elite pass rusher. We need a Groves/McGlover type that can play in the backfield consistently

This over and over again 

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I liked to speed holland showed but he also looks overwhelmed most of the time.  

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

He was not running crisp enough routes for Gus's taste.

LOL...even better.  You can't make this stuff up.  Wow.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Unlike many I have faith in Gus throwing to our receivers this year as Stidham has similar skill set to SW on short and mid-range passes and superior skill set on long passes with more mobility to buy time and find receivers. Gus has shown with CAM and NM he will mix up pass and run and throw both when expected and when not expected.

The lineups people have presented are pretty solid on paper now to see if the coaches can get them playing as cohesive units.

Was about to hit like until I saw this part.  I'll have faith too if Stidham winds up with 1000+ rushing yards.  Cue the Chris Todd and Tulsa years refrain from the chorus now.

2 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I agree Tex, I think a Price starts at LT. James at RT.

James would rather be at LG. If 2 tackles like Tega & Ashley step up, that's where James will be.

31 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Was about to hit like until I saw this part.  I'll have faith too if Stidham winds up with 1000+ rushing yards.  Cue the Chris Todd and Tulsa years refrain from the chorus now.

Stidham won't get to 1000 IMO nor need to IMO. He's in the Steve Young school of dual QBs. He's a very good passer that is a passer first but will not hesitate to beat you with his legs if he has too.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Stidham won't get to 1000 IMO nor need to IMO. He's in the Steve Young school of dual QBs. He's a very good passer that is a passer first but will not hesitate to beat you with his legs if he has too.

Oh I agree he won't get that many rushing yards either, which is why I'm dubious of GM/RL utilizing him correctly in the passing game.  But hey, maybe he will become the 1st QB in the Malzahn Auburn era to either produce double digit wins or take us to a championship game without rushing for 1000+ yards.

19 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

And Tuberville knows what difference a year can make, because the year I was a freshmen at Auburn I am pretty sure we went to the Music City Bowl.  That was 2003.  2004 we went perfect.  So time can make a difference.

We were in school around the same time. I can still remember sitting in the student section during many of the 2004 games and going to New Orleans and the SEC game that year. So fun. 

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

this is absolutely what we need.

J Davis was actually a good tackler but nickel priority is coverage. Lately like the last 3 years big corners has been playing nickel but usually that's where your smaller corners would play because a majority of time they would be lined up against slot wr's. 

IMO Roberts took a step back last year, and Thomas is getting too hyped up off the bammer game. Not saying Thomas isn't good but I think people are just snap shotting that one game.

Like how people ran with Hastings being the best wr we had at the beginning of the year, and Burns clearly working wonders with the wr's....

Boston has been consistent and hopefully after this the game will slow down even more for him and he'll REALLY start showing what he can do

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

J Davis was actually a good tackler but nickel priority is coverage. Lately like the last 3 years big corners has been playing nickel but usually that's where your smaller corners would play because a majority of time they would be lined up against slot wr's. 

IMO Roberts took a step back last year, and Thomas is getting too hyped up off the bammer game. Not saying Thomas isn't good but I think people are just snap shotting that one game.

Like how people ran with Hastings being the best wr we had at the beginning of the year, and Burns clearly working wonders with the wr's....

Boston has been consistent and hopefully after this the game will slow down even more for him and he'll REALLY start showing what he can do

I think Character will make a move too.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I think Character will make a move too.

Yup. I forgot he has wowed Tre Williams and I got the impression he could play any spot in the backfield.

Also not on list: true frosh Anders Carlson wins Lou Groza after taking over kicking duties when two-time Groza finalist and future NFL Superbowl MVP older brother Daniel slightly injured during game winning faked FG conversion at Clemson.

:big:

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Jeff Holland was in the back field all night , he just over- pursued, or flat out miss -tackled Mayfield.

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

We were in school around the same time. I can still remember sitting in the student section during many of the 2004 games and going to New Orleans and the SEC game that year. So fun. 

Same!

So, am I the only one who lost faith in KJ's ability to really contribute to the team? His KR skills are severely lacking, his RB skills are sub-par even when healthy, and he really doesn't look like the shifty/speed back we were all told he was. I like the guy and he showed flashes of what he could do (like his toughness against LSU) but overall it was just meh.

If he's not at least 3rd on our depth chart next fall, I'll be worried about our RB position.

Archived