Projected 2017 Starting Lineup

thaitopher

I did read the article.  I can read a short article fairly quickly.  Again, looking for evidence that our coaching staff expressed their concerns that you quoted.  I think Jovon deserved to be kicked off of the team for what he did to the DB.  I just question the whole not giving effort in practice thing.  

wde

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I did read the article.  I can read a short article fairly quickly.  Again, looking for evidence that our coaching staff expressed their concerns that you quoted.  I think Jovon deserved to be kicked off of the team for what he did to the DB.  I just question the whole not giving effort in practice thing.  

wde

I don't have a link, but a GA told me that he rarely gave his all and if he had he would've easily been invited to NYC. TIFWIW

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Clearly not as you just got a second article with Tim Horton comments about him not being engaged in practice. 

Btw, here is another supporting @lionheartkc

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/10/whats_holding_back_auburn_running_back_jovon_robinson.html

An ankle injury has hampered Robinson's progress, coaches have said, but that's not the only thing holding back the Georgia Military College transfer. On Wednesday, offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee was asked if the ankle injury is the sole reason why the junior has only four carries for 20 yards in four games.

"A large part," Lashlee responded.

*Hint, hint* 

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't have a link, but a GA told me that he rarely gave his all and if he had he would've easily been invited to NYC. TIFWIW

Thanks

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Clearly not as you just got a second article with Tim Horton comments about him not being engaged in practice. 

Btw, here is another supporting @lionheartkc

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/10/whats_holding_back_auburn_running_back_jovon_robinson.html

An ankle injury has hampered Robinson's progress, coaches have said, but that's not the only thing holding back the Georgia Military College transfer. On Wednesday, offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee was asked if the ankle injury is the sole reason why the junior has only four carries for 20 yards in four games.

"A large part," Lashlee responded.

*Hint, hint* 

Fair enough.  I stand corrected.

wde

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 11:29 AM, ellitor said:

No worries. It will play out how ever it plays out and we will know eventually.

Just read that Cowart is full time DT going forward. Just say I told you So. 

:poke:

29 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Just read that Cowart is full time DT going forward. Just say I told you So. 

:poke:

Is this your impression of Viper1?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2017 at 2:33 PM, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

This is interesting, with Auburn at number 2.  

Also interesing is this:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-secs-football-rosters-2017

Athlon compiled data on recruiting rankings over the past 5 years and correlated them with overall and conference records.

According to 247, we have built the 4th best roster in the SEC over the past 5 years, but we have the 10th best conference record (if I'm reading this correctly). Is this concerning?  We have certainly had QB issues, but what do you all make of this? 

Also, SIAP.

And, War Eagle! 

2 minutes ago, Barkchevious said:

This is interesting, with Auburn at number 2.  

Also interesing is this:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-secs-football-rosters-2017

Athlon compiled data on recruiting rankings over the past 5 years and correlated them with overall and conference records.

According to 247, we have built the 4th best roster in the SEC over the past 5 years, but we have the 10th best conference record (if I'm reading this correctly). Is this concerning?  We have certainly had QB issues, but what do you all make of this? 

Also, SIAP.

And, War Eagle! 

Until we get that 2012 season off the books, its going to drag us down.

51 minutes ago, Barkchevious said:

-Gene Chizik
-An amazing roster in 2013 that realized its full potential and got us all the way up to the 10th best conference record. 
-The 2014 defense
-A million roster problems in 2015 (JJ, Duke, Jovon, youth/inexperience highlighted by a center who had never played the position before)
-A coach who underestimated and lacked confidence in his team to begin 2016, particularly at QB, and then who handled it poorly when we actually did have QB problems later in the season. Injury problems on top of that.
-If we had an SECE schedule instead of SECW, we'd likely be higher.

2016 is the one year I won't give Gus a pass on. He requires no pass for 2013, he fixed the defense after 2014, and 2015 was a freaky combination of attitudes, injuries and the erosion of the program under Chizik's watch coming home to roost. (Chizik's last recruiting class should've dominated the roster; instead, we were playing freshmen all over the place. And that's an important part to remember- the recruiting rankings are based on what those classes were on signing day, not what they became.) But in 2016, Gus failed the QB position massively in the offseason and early in the regular season. As a result, we lost the Clemson game, we can possibly blame the TAMU loss on his mishandling, and we had no depth at QB to fall back on at the end of the season. 1 decent QB on the entire roster, unless Woody is decent, which we don't know because Gus trotted out garbage instead of giving him a chance (just like he did to Sean against Clemson). 

So, what I make of it is that Chizik's failures factor heavily into that ranking at 10, but Gus bears some of the blame, too. What we should be happy about is that he continues to recruit very well, we might have a blue chip QB and- at worst- do have a top-3-in-the-SEC-when-healthy QB in Sean, and we return a lot of experience all over the field, to include the best kicker in the nation. If Gus lets Lindsey do his job, and if Lindsey isn't incompetent, and if Stidham is as good as we hope or Sean can stay healthy, then the program is possibly in very, very good shape. But until we are, we aren't. 

52 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Until we get that 2012 season off the books, its going to drag us down.

Ahh, that season.  Forgot about that.  Makes sense.  

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

-Gene Chizik
-An amazing roster in 2013 that realized its full potential and got us all the way up to the 10th best conference record. 
-The 2014 defense
-A million roster problems in 2015 (JJ, Duke, Jovon, youth/inexperience highlighted by a center who had never played the position before)
-A coach who underestimated and lacked confidence in his team to begin 2016, particularly at QB, and then who handled it poorly when we actually did have QB problems later in the season. Injury problems on top of that.

2016 is the one year I won't give Gus a pass on. He requires no pass for 2013, he fixed the defense after 2014, and 2015 was a freaky combination of attitudes, injuries and the erosion of the program under Chizik's watch coming home to roost. (Chizik's last recruiting class should've dominated the roster; instead, we were playing freshmen all over the place. And that's an important part to remember- the recruiting rankings are based on what those classes were on signing day, not what they became.) But in 2016, Gus failed the QB position massively in the offseason and early in the regular season. As a result, we lost the Clemson game, we can possibly blame the TAMU loss on his mishandling, and we had no depth at QB to fall back on at the end of the season. 1 decent QB on the entire roster, unless Woody is decent, which we don't know because Gus trotted out garbage instead of giving him a chance (just like he did to Sean against Clemson). 

So, what I make of it is that Chizik's failures factor heavily into that ranking at 10, but Gus bears some of the blame, too. What we should be happy about is that he continues to recruit very well, we might have a blue chip QB and- at worst- do have a top-3-in-the-SEC-when-healthy QB in Sean, and we return a lot of experience all over the field, to include the best kicker in the nation. If Gus lets Lindsey do his job, and if Lindsey isn't incompetent, and if Stidham is as good as we hope or Sean can stay healthy, then the program is possibly in very, very good shape. But until we are, we aren't. 

Great post, sir.

I am in agreement with you, McLoofus. 

One possible exception, I am a little more inclined to give Malzahn a "pass" for 2016.  We knew QB was a concern. I would have thought he would've had a better plan sooner.  That's on him.  Once SW got hurt towards the end of the year we were very one dimensional and you just can't beat good teams like that. 

And now he seems to have gone to the appropriate lengths to fix the problems from 2016. 

IF he does what he said he was going to do and he let's CCL run the O, I expect much better things in 2017. 

I wonder if we have the most players in the country with the last name Davis?

On 2/9/2017 at 8:38 AM, McLoofus said:

-Gene Chizik
-The 2014 defense

Every time I think about the 2014 defense I get so pissed off. Way to squander one of the most talented offenses in AU history, Ellis. >:(

I know that we had  breakdown of both offense and defense from 1st string down to 2nd, 3d, and so forth for each position on both sides of the ball. Is it possible to get a somewhat rough draft of this?  I have looked and cannot seem to find this.

15 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I know that we had  breakdown of both offense and defense from 1st string down to 2nd, 3d, and so forth for each position on both sides of the ball. Is it possible to get a somewhat rough draft of this?  I have looked and cannot seem to find this.

Not really... the offense is currently a blank canvas and there are a ton of unknowns on D.  You have to wait for Spring to get any educated speculation and you have to wait until fall to get 4 deep.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, mcgufcm said:

Well, it's a TON of guesswork, but I'd be inclined to say yes. Offense would look something like this:

LT:  James or Ashley
LG:  Horton or James
C:  Golson
RG:  Smith
RT:  Ashley or Tega
TE:  Canella
HB:  Cox
RB:  Pettway/Johnson
WR:  Stove or R. Davis
WR:  K. Davis
WR:  Slayton or Craig-Myers
QB:  Stidham

DE:  Davidson
DT:  Russell
DT:  Brown
DE:  Holland or P. James
OLB:  D. Williams
MLB:  D. Davis
OLB:  T. Williams

NB:  Thomas or Roberts
CB:  C. Davis
S:  Roberts or Ruffin
S:  Matthews
CB:  J. Davis or Dean

That's a pretty solid starting group on both sides of the ball with very good OL and DL talent. It's a fine automobile for any QB.

Probably the best group of starting LB's we've had in a long time...IMO

• 6 months later...

Archived