Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Haha you are about to get killed 

I don't even care rn. He can defend powderpuff and his completion percentage all day and I'll show Titan SW's list of road victories in two years.

@Kentucky last year

@ the s***ty Mississippi teams( defenses) this year.

Personally I think just Lashlee needs to go. He has no clue how to pit our strengths against the other team's weaknesses. Why do we have Kyle Hastings running a fade route when we have Kyle Davis, NCM, Tony Stevens, etc.? Scheme for the purpose of putting your best players in position to make a play, not for the purpose of trying to trick the defense.

Just now, ToraGirl said:

This is no "Gus defense".  Just an interesting stat...he and Nick Saban are tied in one respect.  Lest we forget...both have seen the "mediocrity" of Bob Stoops (game thread, now closed to replies or I'd post it there) and been denied.

"The win against Alabama also was gratifying for Stoops because he had previously questioned the overall strength of the SEC.  "They said 'the SEC this, the SEC that,' " Stoops said. "I said, 'You talk like all 14 teams are this, that and the other thing.' I said, 'You have to give credit to the first one or two that have won the national championship, but don't act like they're all doing that.'

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11254478/oklahoma-sooners-bob-stoops-bashes-nick-saban-consolation-remark

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, smackydoodle said:

Sean White is a starting QB only because Franklin and Johnson are his backups.

Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner

The coaching staffs at Kansas State, Wisconsin, Western Michigan, and North Dakota State can all coach circles around this bunch, and they do it for pennies on the dollar. It is so easy to out scheme us. And a 5 star QB is not going to be enough to fix this mess. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Where is that one guy who is always screaming for P.J. Fleck?

You called?

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

The coaching staffs at Kansas State, Wisconsin, Western Michigan, and North Dakota State can all coach circles around this bunch, and they do it for pennies on the dollar. It is so easy to out scheme us. And a 5 star QB is not going to be enough to fix this mess

I'm pretty sure it would but, I have zero confidence that Auburn's coaching staff would be able to sign one let alone develop one.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

You called?

There he is. We needed some motivation today.  And by we, I meant our boys on the field.

16 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Two positives:

1) Saban still hasn't beaten a 9 win Auburn team.

2) Urban Meyer has never beaten us.

How the hell is #1 a positive for Auburn?  If Saban hasnt beaten a 9 win Auburn team after all the times Saban has played AU, then that reflects really poorly on Auburn doesn't it?

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don't even care rn. He can defend powderpuff and his completion percentage all day and I'll show Titan SW's list of road victories in two years.

@Kentucky last year

@ the s***ty Mississippi teams( defenses) this year.

I'm not defending Sean.  I'm saying, this offense was a very good offense when it had a competent passing threat at QB.  That's a fact.  I don't think Sean is anything more than a smart kid with moxie and an accurate arm.  But he doesn't have a strong arm, he's not very big and strong, he's short, and he's an adequate runner when he has to.  The second the passing threat was taken out of the offense, we were easy to defend.  One backup can't hit the broad side of a barn and the other can't stop throwing to the other team.

But to act like this isn't a completely different offense with a healthy Sean running it is utterly ludicrous.

DAG, not that it matters, because Auburn's problems are bigger than any of us can apparently put our finger on...but let it not be said that we faced an inferior coach, as some were beginning to go on about in the locked thread.  We play in the traditionally toughest conference, but that tradition is changing.  Even "the man" felt the burn in their Sugar Bowl from the same one who out-coached Auburn's tonight.  That is all.

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

8 of last 10 seasons with at least 4 losses. Average. Thats where this program is.  Without Cam and the miracles of 2013 we are basically average to mediocre. 

This is not to defend Gus at all but historically Auburn has the 6th best winning percentage in the SEC. We trail Bama, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and Florida. That's our history.  We don't like it but we played this year for lack of a better way to put it- paraphrasing the words of Dennis Green, "We are who they think we are". I'm glad I'm an Auburn fan but I'm tired of the mediocrity. 

Out of likes but the OP is spot on. Without looking at the schedule we need to hit 9 regular season wins minimum considering what we have on our roster or else we should be looking for a new coach. We have given on the job training for long enough. You can't produce 4 mediocre seasons in a row and stay at AU. Not with this talent. 8 wins should be our floor, history (no b2b 10 win seasons) be damned. We have 1 national title and another 2nd place finish in the last 6 years. We have too many sets of training wheels for our staff on the O side of the ball currently IMO and it's killing us.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm not defending Sean.  I'm saying, this offense was a very good offense when it had a competent passing threat at QB.  That's a fact.  I don't think Sean is anything more than a smart kid with moxie and an accurate arm.  But he doesn't have a strong arm, he's not very big and strong, he's short, and he's an adequate runner when he has to.  The second the passing threat was taken out of the offense, we were easy to defend.  One backup can't hit the broad side of a barn and the other can't stop throwing to the other team.

But to act like this isn't a completely different offense with a healthy Sean running it is utterly ludicrous.

I don't think you could ask for a more fair description of Sean, honestly. If I ever defended him, it was because he was better than our other options, and somehow people on this board took that as "crowning him." In reality, some of us realized he was our best hope, and decided to get behind him. 

Edit: In retrospect. DAG, you're right. Might as well move along. 

Just now, gr82be said:

This is not to defend Gus at all but historically Auburn has the 6th best winning percentage in the SEC. We trail Bama, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and Florida. That's our history.  We don't like it but we played this year for lack of a better way to put it- paraphrasing the words of Dennis Green, "We are who they think we are". I'm glad I'm an Auburn fan but I'm tired of the mediocrity. 

Yeah I agree. Historically we are one of the top dogs in the SEC but the last 10 years are what the records say they are.  Fact is 2010 took a once or twice in a lifetime type player to pull off and 2013 took two of the greatest and perhaps flukiest plays in college football history.  Outside of that our program has fallen into the doldrums and needs someone other than harry high school to pull it out. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

I don't think you could ask for a more fair description of Sean, honestly. If I ever defended him, it was because he was better than our other options, and somehow people on this board took that as "crowning him." In reality, some of us realized he was our best hope, and decided to get behind him. 

That's because about 70% of this board needs to be on lithium.

Archived