Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

This is not to defend Gus at all but historically Auburn has the 6th best winning percentage in the SEC. We trail Bama, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and Florida. That's our history.  We don't like it but we played this year for lack of a better way to put it- paraphrasing the words of Dennis Green, "We are who they think we are". I'm glad I'm an Auburn fan but I'm tired of the mediocrity. 

which is exactly why Auburn is its own worst enemy. WE SETTLE. We are a sleeping giant. Just got to commit to be great and get everyone on board working in the same direction for the same GREATER cause and good! 

Kam Pettway had zero carries versus Clemson and Nate Craig-Myers had 4 catches all year. Both of those facts alone should qualify for a fireable offense for this staff. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't think you could ask for a more fair description of Sean, honestly. If I ever defended him, it was because he was better than our other options, and somehow people on this board took that as "crowning him." In reality, some of us realized he was our best hope, and decided to get behind him. 

Actually, there were people in this forum that thought he was the best QB in the SEC.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't think you could ask for a more fair description of Sean, honestly. If I ever defended him, it was because he was better than our other options, and somehow people on this board took that as "crowning him." In reality, some of us realized he was our best hope, and decided to get behind him. 

Edit: In retrospect. DAG, you're right. Might as well move along. 

I mean why are we killing each other over a subject that is moot? SW will not be the starter next year, unless a drastic injury happens to JS.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

not defending Sean.  I'm saying, this offense was a very good offense when it had a competent passing threat at QB.  That's a fact.

Shock and awe of Pettway coming on strong out of nowhere combined with Auburn playing many s***ty defenses seems more likely for our strong offenses. Our running game helped SW in those games. We wore them out on the ground before they even had a chance to think about pass defense. Hell, one game we had stove score on an 80 yard sweep on the first play of the game. That play hadnt worked since 2013. That is what kind of defenses we were playing against. 

I, too, am excited that SW won't be starter next year. 

I honestly feel bad for a lot of the big time recruits we get who come here. I just know they will never be coached up to the best of their abilities and we will not get the most out of them under this staff and not know how the heck to use them. Especially Wide Receiver. Good Lord no elite WR should ever come here. This staff has shown all they do is make you worse at that position and have a case of the drops.

Just now, DAG said:

I mean why are we killing each other over a subject that is moot? SW will not be the starter next year, unless a drastic injury happens to JS.

It's because we are all pissed off, cranky, fed up, exhausted and likely depressed. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

which is exactly why Auburn is its own worst enemy. WE SETTLE. We are a sleeping giant. Just got to commit to be great and get everyone on board working in the same direction for the same GREATER cause and good! 

Yep.  For the love of all thats good and holy CLEMSON is playing for the natty for a second straight year and has six straight double digit win seasons!!! Friggin Clemson!!! And yeah I know the pumpers will say but but they play in the ACC. Well the ACC is handing everyone their butts right now and the good ol SEC was crap this year for sure and prob not much better last year.  

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Shock and awe of Pettway coming on strong out of nowhere combined with Auburn playing many s***ty defenses seems more likely for our strong offenses. Our running game helped SW in those games. We wore them out on the ground before they even had a chance to think about pass defense. Hell, one game we had stove score on an 80 yard sweep on the first play of the gam. That is what kind of defenses we were playing against. 

We wore them out on the ground because we had an actual passing threat.  If they crowded the box too much, Sean was accurate enough to keep the chains moving.  It gave us some balance.  Once that wasn't a threat, they could just load the box and it wouldn't matter how good Pettway was anymore.  This was true even with Nick Marshall at QB.  We don't have to pass a lot, but we do have to pass some and make a defense pay for overloading the run.  If they send more people than you can block, running game no worky.

Every SEC coach has incentives like this. No, he didn't do anywhere close to a $200k job getting ready for this one, but it's better than the Birmingham Bowl. 

He should give it back for the play calling in the 2nd half and calling not 1, but 2 time outs to barely score a garbage time td.  Invest wisely Mal...  the villagers are gathering their pitchforks and torches.

I was as excited as anyone else when we landed Jarrett Stidham. But after watching tonight, I'm fully convinced that we'll once again go 8-5 next year. Jarrett Stidham will not change the predictable play-calling. Jarrett Stidham will not change the predictable and elementary routes that we run. OU DB's were sitting on all of our routes. The reason that Malzahn is a run-first, play action pass coach is because play action is the only way he knows how to get receivers open. We better get a serious upgrade at DB coach and hire Art Briles as an offensive analyst or we will illustrate once more the definition of insanity.

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Kam Pettway had zero carries versus Clemson and Nate Craig-Myers had 4 catches all year. Both of those facts alone should qualify for a fireable offense for this staff. 

I'm out of likes but this one have a big one. Kam is only playing because of a transfer and dismissal and we've totally wasted NCM and the freshmen wideouts. 

Just now, NoALtiger said:

I'm out of likes but this one have a big one. Kam is only playing because of a transfer and dismissal and we've totally wasted NCM and the freshmen wideouts. 

Im out of likes too but "like" 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I honestly feel bad for a lot of the big time recruits we get who come here. I just know they will never be coached up to the best of their abilities and we will not get the most out of them under this staff and not know how the heck to use them. Especially Wide Receiver. Good Lord no elite WR should ever come here. This staff has shown all they do is make you worse at that position and have a case of the drops.

Why would elite receivers come to Auburn with Gus as head coach? 85% of Auburn's play calls are runs and another 10% are two yeard passes to the sidelines. For crying out loud Oklahoma's defensive backs had better hands than Auburn's receivers.

Just now, NoALtiger said:

there is so many flaws gus has that you forget some of them but player evaluation is a HUGE ONE!!!!!!! he was playing peyton freaking barber over jovon robinson this year and until he got kicked off the team and roc transferred he was playing behind chandler cox!!! the only time gus has success is by accidents in a season (2013) or players like pettway!!! He sees these guys everyday at practice and still has no idea who is better. He seriously has a walk on kicker starting at WR over some of our 4 and 5 star wrs.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

We wore them out on the ground because we had an actual passing threat.

Yeah those ten yard route trees really opened up our offense. Nick Marshall opened our offense by actually having a vertical passing game.

1 minute ago, DC4AU04 said:

He should give it back for the play calling in the 2nd half and calling not 1, but 2 time outs to barely score a garbage time td.  Invest wisely Mal...  the villagers are gathering their pitchforks and torches.

I would say play-calling after the first series. StatTiger mentions every week about breaking trends and throwing on first down. We did that successfully in that first drive and then went completely away from it. It does not matter how well we can run the ball. If we are 1-dimensional then we will always get beat by good and/or great defenses. 

Malzahn should give that money back. This was completely embarrassing.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Yeah those ten yard route trees really opened up our offense. Nick Marshall opened our offense by actually having a vertical passing game.

No, it's not as effective as having a vertical threat.  But it's still effective when your QB is hitting 77% of his throws and moving the chains.

I never said Sean made this offense into a replica of 2013 or 2014.  But he, when healthy, did make this a very good offense.  And when he wasn't there, the difference was immediate and obvious.

Archived