Jarrett Stidham Film analysis

autigersj

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I ask is for Gus to coach to JS strength. He does not need to be a huge QB read guy. I feel as if we will get much more passes on 1st down situations. I wish we had some more height on the outside, however. The biggest issues will be how quickly JS can pick up the offense, although it doesn't seem like a whole lot and stay healthy.

I would expect a offense very similar to this years with more attempts downfield and far fewer drops. I really hope to see 25-30 passes a game, but until I do...

Concerning the downfield passes, he looks like he has some nice touch and accuracy. I am excited for the spring game just to see some passes.  81-yard-deep-ball-to-coleman-vs-ksu

That pass is a beauty.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I would expect a offense very similar to this years with more attempts downfield a far fewer drops. I really hope to see 25-30 passes a game, but until I do...

I would expect the same thing. This year I have blamed a lot of the quality of the Gus/Rhett play calling on the fact that when SW was hurt we didn't have any QB capable of being trusted to pass. Next year with Stidham who has proven he can play college ball and hopefully SW recovered there is no excuse for not throwing more often. If the quality of the play calling remains the same with Stidham, SW and maybe Woody after a year of learning the O then I will join the group that says Gus has lost it and we need to start looking for a new coach.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I would expect the same thing. This year I have blamed a lot of the quality of the Gus/Rhett play calling on the fact that when SW was hurt we didn't have any QB capable of being trusted to pass. Next year with Stidham who has proven he can play college ball and hopefully SW recovered there is no excuse for not throwing more often. If the quality of the play calling remains the same with Stidham, SW and maybe Woody after a year of learning the O then I will join the group that says Gus has lost it and we need to start looking for a new coach.

I'll add, as I said in another thread, anything less than a top 10 offense, with these players and Gus's pedigree, will be a disappointment... the only caveat being a complete failure to rebuild the O-Line.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

All I ask is for Gus to coach to JS strength. He does not need to be a huge QB read guy. I feel as if we will get much more passes on 1st down situations. I wish we had some more height on the outside, however. The biggest issues will be how quickly JS can pick up the offense, although it doesn't seem like a whole lot and stay healthy.

Your right it is going to be so hard picking up our 4 to 5 plays. Sean may even have to start the first couple of games till Stidham is well versed in the playbook.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I would expect a offense very similar to this years with more attempts downfield a far fewer drops. I really hope to see 25-30 passes a game, but until I do...

Insert other media

Gus is incapable of running a successful pass first offense. Never been done with him outside a future NFL MVP and even that offense was 50/50 pass to run ratio correct? Until I see it with my own eyes I will always believe Gus passing offense will be chicken @#$%. IF ANYONE though can make Gus basic, rudimentary, elementary route tree and passing offense look decent its this Kid and these young wrs. OF course if he plays said talented wrs. We could just be subjected to all world walk on kicker will hastings again and throwing him fade passes in the sugar bowl and key third down balls to him in the thuga game and iron bowl...........

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Your right it is going to be so hard picking up our 4 to 5 plays. Sean may even have to start the first couple of games till Stidham is well versed in the playbook.

I don't think that happens.  you put the best player in to give you the best chance of winning.  correct me if im wrong but didn't Nick Marshall come in during the Fall and beat out Khiel Frazier who knew the playbook?  Stidham coming in during the spring gives him plenty of time to learn the plays.

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

What team have you been watching the last two years?  Khiel Frazier ain't no SW!

he's saying to start Sean over JS because Sean knows the playbook better.  Khiel knew the playbook better than Nick.  Never compared Sean to KF.

Sorry, forgot my yellow font again.  But, GM will find a way to drag it out I think.  Not saying JS won't be starter, but he'll wait as long as he can before naming him.  Like say SW isn't healthy enough for spring practice.  GM will say SW deserves a shot to compete in fall camp and JF3 has really worked hard and made good progress.  And, don't count out Woody because he's starting to understand the offense, and we haven't decided if we're going to redshirt Malik yet or not for this year....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, etc.

I see the phase route tree used all the time and I'm not sure everyone is correct when they use it.  There are only X number of routes. Every teams route trees are the same. They might be numbered/called something different, but otherwise a fly is a go is a 9. The differences come with the different splits and combinations that they are run with. Everyone loves Baylor's passing attack, but they run the same route tree as Auburn.

passing-tree.jpg

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I see the phase route tree used all the time and I'm not sure everyone is correct when they use it.  There are only X number of routes. Every teams route trees are the same. They might be numbered/called something different, but otherwise a fly is a go is a 9. The differences come with the different splits and combinations that they are run with. Everyone loves Baylor's passing attack, but they run the same route tree as Auburn.

passing-tree.jpg

I'm glad you clarified this. When people talk about our "terrible route trees", I've always gotten confused because the images above (with slightly different numbers) are the images that pop into my head when I think route tree, and I think to myself, "a route tree is a route tree, how could ours be any different than another teams?" 

When we start talking about route combinations, splits, and alignments, I'm more inclined to think of words like "scheme" or "concepts", but never "route tree." 

20 minutes ago, KerryThachWDE said:

I don't think that happens.  you put the best player in to give you the best chance of winning.  correct me if im wrong but didn't Nick Marshall come in during the Fall and beat out Khiel Frazier who knew the playbook?  Stidham coming in during the spring gives him plenty of time to learn the plays.

I am sure he was being sarcastic. Absolutely no way JS does not start

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

passing-tree.jpg

I think most people are referring to receiver alignments and the combination of routes playside along with the complimentary routes backside.  And not utilizing all of the route tree in your passing game.  But yeah, you're right that everyone has all those patterns.  Some get creative with smash routes, rub routes, choice routes, etc.

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

passing-tree.jpg

I think some might argue that our route tree is missing 2 & 4 is underutilized... and that 0, 1, and 3 are used excessively. 

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

passing-tree.jpg

That is missing the signature wheel route, with a pump fake thrown in there.

Every route is under-utilized, have receivers running routes instead of some gimmick crap fake, limit gimmick crap so JS can get his eyes down the field sooner and make a good read.  Just please meet with Art and develop the passing routes and in practice don't always throw to option one.  Most of the big plays with Cam and Nick were on broken plays and not on designed plays.  We have a wealth of size and talent not being utilized by the coaching staff.  We have WR's that only run one or two routes when they are in games.  See issues with Coates and Louis in the NFL.  Check out of a WR screen when the D is in press coverage.   I think all this is needed to improve in the plays to see success, I just hope that ego will allow this to happen.  There is not an offense out there that does not stay successful long without evolving and the whirly bird is not evolving, it gets you fired almost everywhere else

JS has the potential, with our current WR talent, to light it up this season. Despite having GusLashlee offense behind him. The kid has skill.

38 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Most of the big plays with Cam and Nick and Baker Mayfield were on broken plays and not on designed plays.

Fixed. :laugh:

57 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think some might argue that our route tree is missing 2 & 4 is underutilized... and that 0, 1, and 3 are used excessively. 

But good ol' number 8 is used jusssssst right.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

passing-tree.jpg

I love ya my brother but context in this route tree is what is missing.  When we refer to "route tree" we aren't specifically talking about one receiver.   We are talking the complexity of all the eligible receivers in combination with each other.  

Also you hear the statement he threw late... This has 2 meanings, either he threw the ball after coverage was able to close on an open Receiver or that 2 routes came into the same vicinity of each other and let 1 defender cover 2 receivers.  

Like our favorite deep play, the "whirlybird" or "twhirlybird".. the orbit motion play...

The orbit guy coming from the field orbits into the backfield play action to the back holds the LBs, the orbit guy holds the DE to outside leverage so the RT will know where the defender will be rushing from.  The orbit is the checkdown "hot" read on a blitz.  The boundry receiver runs a deep In pattern about 15 yards and should draw at least 1 of the safeties the field receiver runs a go or skinny post on the hash "7 step drop" boom deep throw or if both the safeties played deep coverage hit the deep in.

This is a good example of proper timing and route tree.  Our problem is routes run into each other and normally are designed for open spaces, what most here are complaining about is there is no attacking a certain player considered to be weak in coverage whether it be a DB or a LB.  They want to combo routes against those players to make them pick their poison.  Like a double slant attacking an outside line backer, where he has to choose which to cover, either the short WR in from on him or the intermediate WR behind him.    

Archived