Carl Lawson

Cam Toney
Deon Mix
Markell Boston
Tyler Queen
Woody Barrett
Marlon Character
Antruan Jackson

@Mikey keeps up with this stuff and has for years. Here's a post from him  talking about it...

Here's how I do it. My "attrition year" starts August 1st and ends July 31. That's roughly when a new fall camp starts. I've kept up with this on and off since Coach Jordan was coaching, somehow got interested in it after he said :"If they are going to quit I want them to quit on the practice field, not in the 4th quarter against Alabama". Note that I count as attrition any player that left with eligibility remaining. He could have left for the NFL, been kicked off the team or any reason inbetween. The only thing that matters is that he had one or more years of eligibility left and didn't come back.

...Last year it was 14, year before last 15, so we've run high for the past two years. I could have missed one or more this time, it's been a helluva last six months around here. If I missed any dropout, someone please post it. (Scholarship players only).

Edited by ellitor

Been wondering where we stand.  Thanks @Mikey and @ellitor for the update.  Side note:  Do either of you know current # of Scholarship players and the number of Seniors we lose this year?

6 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Been wondering where we stand.  Thanks @Mikey and @ellitor for the update.  Side note:  Do either of you know current # of Scholarship players and the number of Seniors we lose this year?

We are losing 15 SRs plus 1 walk on that got a scholly by my count for a total of 16

Scholarships can be a bit tricky to keep track of cuz walks ons sometimes get them but they do not automatically roll over to the next school year. There are 6 walk ons that got schollies this year that will be eligible next year. Since those schollies don't roll over they will be subtracted for now for the purpose of this discussion. Subtracting them as well as SRs and attrition from above we have 58 on scholarship for next season. If we enroll the full 25 in the 2017 class as planned we will be at 82 and still short of the max 85 scholarship players.

Edited by ellitor
1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We are losing 15 SRs plus 1 walk on that got a scholly by my count for a total of 16

Scholarships can be a bit tricky to keep track of cuz walks ons sometimes get them but they do not automatically roll over to the next school year. There are 6 walk ons that got schollies this year that will be eligible next year. Since those schollies don't roll over so they will be subtracted for now for the purpose of this discussion. Subtracting them as well as SRs and attrition from above we have 58 on scholarship for next season. If we enroll the full 25 in the 2017 class as planned we will be at 82 and still short of the max 85 scholarship players.

Meaning 3 of those walk-ons could keep/earn the scholarship for 2017?

Just now, Linayus said:

At least.

To both principals responsible.

I, for at least one, find this thread extremely informative and useful.

Might I suggest pinning it?

4 people like this

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

To both principals responsible.

I, for at least one, find this thread extremely informative and useful.

Might I suggest pinning it?

I'll leave that for RIR to decide.

Seems like Gus has problems keeping players because he doesn't play them enough. That's pretty clear.

Edited by auburn4ever
1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Seems like Gus has problems keeping players because he doesn't play them enough. That's pretty clear.

Would have to look individually at the players that left to see if that is a valid conclusion. I'm not going through all that.

Does anyone know the average turnover for all of the Power 5 teams combined?

Edited by abw0004

3 hours ago, Linayus said:

I would hope that we would go with 3 grad transfers that could actually add productivity, instead of just rewarding a guy for practicing hard. I'm not trying to undervalue those guys. But we need to utilize ever available spot on this roster to help this team win. 

2 people like this

When did Roc leave? 

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

When did Roc leave? 

He left end of May.

14 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

When did Roc leave? 

Wow...

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Does anyone know the average turnover for all of the Power 5 teams combined?

Not exactly and certainly not for all Power 5 teams. However, every time I've bothered to check some teams other than Auburn their numbers have been roughly the same as ours. I see no reason to think any are significantly different.

Over the years our attrition has normally been in the range of 7 to 11 each year , so the 15 in 2014/15 and 14 in 2015/16 are historically high. It's hard to get to the full 85 limit when there is a 25 annual limit on signees and grads+attrition can easily surpass 25.

Edited by Mikey
2 people like this

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

I would hope that we would go with 3 grad transfers that could actually add productivity, instead of just rewarding a guy for practicing hard. I'm not trying to undervalue those guys. But we need to utilize ever available spot on this roster to help this team win. 

Can't. Grad transfers count against the 25 initial counter limit when they enroll too. The ones we brough in last year counted as part of the 2016 25 limit Initial Counter group.

Edited by ellitor

Count me not a big fan of grad transfers.  Most have lost favor with current coaches. Seems like our coaches expend a lot of time and effort to get them in the rotation maybe at expense of younger players or guys who have been at Auburn for a few years and know the system. There are exceptions of course but I bet most do not actually add that much productivity. Unfortunately they count against the 25 so I would probably prefer walk-on reward unless we get a real steal (not likely).

1 person likes this

Who was the transfer grad who was a DB from Miami of Ohio, I believe? I don't think he played much this past season.

13 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Who was the transfer grad who was a DB from Miami of Ohio, I believe? I don't think he played much this past season.

Marshall Taylor and he didn't play much but did get a tackle on kick off the other night.

Countess was a great grad transfer iirc. This years seemed great but it didnt seem to translate too well.

onto the topic though, the past two years numbers don't look good, unless we are sending a bunch of first/second round picks. This year seems better though. Truitt was surprising and Lawson was a given but getting Kam, Carlson, Smith, Matthews all back seems like it'll help balance this year out. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Marshall Taylor and he didn't play much but did get a tackle on kick off the other night.

I think he also got mentioned for a block in the back on a  great return by Roberts.

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

Jovon Robinson

Rashad Kennion

Landon Rice

Stanton Truitt

Carl Lawson

@Mikey keeps up with this stuff and has for years. Here's a post from him  talking about it...

Kennion was a project from the beginning. Kid couldn't put on any weight. 

And is Lawson really considered attrition? 

What about a player who leaves after playing all 4 years?  They could've redshirted their 5th year...is that attrition, too?

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

What about a player who leaves after playing all 4 years?  They could've redshirted their 5th year...is that attrition, too?

I'd say no. Kozan is going to play on Sundays. Why risk another injury? 

2 people like this