Vandy postgame thread

tigerbrotha12

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

We shoot about 11% and Vandy shoots one million percent from 3 point range. This happens every year and I'm sick of it. 

high ceiling... elevated floor... weird layout... everyone seems to struggle there.

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We shoot about 11% and Vandy shoots one million percent from 3 point range. This happens every year and I'm sick of it. 

That's how Vandy always plays everyone. It just looks worse because AU doesn't seem to care about defending at all tonight.

But the gym there is really weird too. The seats are way back from the basket and it makes the goal seem farther away. The whole configuration give Vandy a big home court advantage, especially against a very streaky team like this AU team.

Granted our team is young but from what I have seen this year we don't play as a team. I am no coach but from what I have seen our players like to hog the ball and don't pass it around 

5 minutes ago, bootskii said:

Granted our team is young but from what I have seen this year we don't play as a team. I am no coach but from what I have seen our players like to hog the ball and don't pass it around 

True. We seem to be getting worse with every game instead of better. I didnt expect the tourney this year but progress. The last 5 games or so have been a regression. 

Ugly and disappointing start to the SEC schedule. I hope BP gets this young team settled down and playing together or the BB program will be sitting home after the regular season for the 13th time in the past 14 years.

15 minutes ago, bootskii said:

Been that way for 3 years.....I wouldn't expect any drastic changes unless support staff is revamped.  That's the dribble drive when the kick out is covered.  We are becoming very easy to defend. We either hit 3s or crumble. Last two games we crumbled. Gotta get somebody that can shoot good every game and not just 1 out of every 3 if we are gonna keep with this game plan. 

I hate the excuse that we are young....I watch quite a bit of basketball and everyone seems to be young....freshmen playing all over the league in big numbers...but at least playing as a team....which should have nothing to do with age or experience.....but something we seem to have trouble doing. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I hate the excuse that we are young....I watch quite a bit of basketball and everyone seems to be young....freshmen playing all over the league in big numbers...but at least playing as a team....which should have nothing to do with age or experience.....but something we seem to have trouble doing. 

The difference is playing 4 freshmen together instead of having one or two out there that can learn from veterans

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

The difference is playing 4 freshmen together instead of having one or two out there that can learn from veterans

We don't always have 4 freshmen out there together....sometimes there is only one or 2...but the other guys are just as individualistic as the freshmen...maybe worse. I can't see any of our upper classmen setting a good example for the young players. 

Maybe our guys will shoot better when they aren't freshmen. 

Maybe our guys can play defense when they aren't freshmen. 

Maybe our guys won't turn the ball over when they aren't freshmen.  

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Maybe our guys will shoot better when they aren't freshmen. 

Maybe our guys can play defense when they aren't freshmen. 

Maybe our guys won't turn the ball over when they aren't freshmen.  

JMO but I'm not blaming most of our problems on the freshmen......we have some upper classmen who are every bit as troublesome...and more. 

Don't know what to think about coach Pearl.  I know he inherited a mess, but I thought they would play a little bit better in league play in his third year.  I'm just not seeing it.  I hope he gets things turned around and fast, but it appears to be the same results the past several years.  It will be interesting to see how long they give him to turn things around, at least being somewhat competitive in league play.

It's the worst college gymnasium I've visited other than our old Sports Arena. Our young colts were ice cold with their shooting tonight,  but also  did not finish plays at the rim and have little concept ofdefense. We'll be a great deal better next season and will be contenders the following year.

We played bad, weird arena or home court we lose playing like that 10/10 times. It was an extension of what I did see in the second half versus uga. I have a hard time blaming CBP due to his previous success and the accolades he receives from announcers/analysts game in game out. Of course being year three I expected us to come out of the gates stronger in conference play. But as cole has mentioned many times, the freshmen have seem to hit a wall (except Harper, so far.), this could play into it. I also recall a video from CBP before the season started saying something like "you wont see a great team at all times this year but you will start to see what we are putting together" with hindsight view that may have been him warning us about the streaky tendencies of this team. Which I'm hoping is the problem, experience, good coaching and comfort coming throughout the season being the cure. 

As some have mentioned, the "ball hog" stuff is there. Likely stemming from the young guys familiarity of being able to take over a game by themselves (high school) and the older guys senses of "I've been here before, I can do this" causing individuals to try and do it all on their own when we are in a slump. This team is still all relatively new to each other. Suspensions and additions have hindered the already rushed attempts at chemistry that we see working for other young teams.

those are my positives out takes on the situation. We've really only played 3 straight halves in which we've seemed to regress, it's not time to completely panic yet..for me anyway. I still have enough faith in the staff (at the least, CBP) to hope that we see overall improvement by seasons end and finish a little better than projected. The last two games have dampened my far fetched hopes of being a bubble team but I'm still holding onto the chance a few of our freshmen have some crazy games that get us a few upsets and give us a chance. I just feel like I might be telling myself that to keep the season more interesting but it worked with football so who knows

Team is going to have to find away to pick themselves of the floor. I could only stand to watch the first 5 minutes of the game but we looked totally lost for the first 5 minutes. Completely out of sync on offense and no desire to defend. Gut check time for these guys...

This was easily the worst game of the Bruce Pearl era here. No need to go into the gory details, other than to say that an odd court shouldn't be an excuse for sloppy passing, failure to get loose balls and poor defense.

Apparently I was lucky as I did not get to see the game. From what I am reading we did not play well but the other thing I am seeing is apparently Auburn always seems to have some issues at Vandy. While I agree with Mikey that a strange Court does not excuse all the bad play. I think a strange court with so many young players would have compounded the issue.   I think we need to see a few more games both at home and away to be able to see if this team is getting better but still being impacted by so may young players or if they are regressing.

Archived