Vandy postgame thread

tigerbrotha12

First JJ Frazier, then Fisher-Davis. It's as if they both came in knowing exactly what to do and did it. We got beat badly. It was a hot mess. We were never in the game with Vandy, but it was as if they saw the tape of the 2nd half of the UGA game and knew exactly what to do. Was anyone else getting deja vu? Kudos also to their big man Kornet who was giving us fits underneath and in the paint at both ends of the court. 

You go to college to get an education and we got schooled. TWICE! Now we get to see how we respond and what our players and coaches are made of. This entire thread agrees that we were not playing defense last night. They were getting open looks and hitting every damn on of them. We were not generating any offense to speak of and Vandy was able to maintain their wide margin of victory and answer every time we made a run, which was few and far between, they answered with certainty. 

I still like watching this team. I am "all in" whatever the outcome, but we have got to contain these hot shot shooting guards that seem to be having their way with us. TJ has to go into more huddles until we figure this out!  :o)

Sometimes you have games like this with a young team. What was it 60% of our points this season are from freshman? Yeah not a good recipe for success if thats what you're relying on. I love TJ Dunans but he had a poor game last night. He had one turnover which I may never forget. Where he was trying to do some spin or something and threw the pass without looking and it was directly to the defender. Not what you need out of your senior leader. 4 turnovers and 1 assist. He is our best creator off the dribble. He gets easy buckets for others because he can finish at the rim so he draws the D. It would be ideal for Harper to be that guy but his size limits this as defenders can stay home knowing their help inside has a 50/50 shot to block Harper's shot attempt.

But overall, we are a team that can literally beat almost every team we play. But with the way our roster is we also can lose to the crappiest of opponents (not saying Vandy was truly crappy, but there are not many d1 teams that we would beat playing like we did last night). When we are hot we are almost unstoppable. When we are cold we almost look like a winless team. That's the nature of how our team is right now. That will surely improve with time, as it does for everyone. We desperately need a strong showing vs Ole Miss this weekend, though. If for nothing else our young guys need a confidence boost right now.

In our early season non-conference games we survived our long lulls where we went super cold. It ain't gonna work that way in conference play. We aren't good enough right now to let teams go on extended runs and still survive it. We lost by 19, and wasn't Vandy up 21-2 to start the game? We played them even after that run* but you CAN'T put yourself in that big of a hole against most Power 5 opponents and expect to come out of it. Also shot selection is a weakness for us, I'd say. With the raw offensive talent we have I don't see a reason why we should be shooting contested jumpers, like, ever.

*not saying this is a moral victory, just doing some math here

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Sometimes you have games like this with a young team. What was it 60% of our points this season are from freshman? Yeah not a good recipe for success if thats what you're relying on. I love TJ Dunans but he had a poor game last night. He had one turnover which I may never forget. Where he was trying to do some spin or something and threw the pass without looking and it was directly to the defender. Not what you need out of your senior leader. 4 turnovers and 1 assist. He is our best creator off the dribble. He gets easy buckets for others because he can finish at the rim so he draws the D. It would be ideal for Harper to be that guy but his size limits this as defenders can stay home knowing their help inside has a 50/50 shot to block Harper's shot attempt.

But overall, we are a team that can literally beat almost every team we play. But with the way our roster is we also can lose to the crappiest of opponents (not saying Vandy was truly crappy, but there are not many d1 teams that we would beat playing like we did last night). When we are hot we are almost unstoppable. When we are cold we almost look like a winless team. That's the nature of how our team is right now. That will surely improve with time, as it does for everyone. We desperately need a strong showing vs Ole Miss this weekend, though. If for nothing else our young guys need a confidence boost right now.

In our early season non-conference games we survived our long lulls where we went super cold. It ain't gonna work that way in conference play. We aren't good enough right now to let teams go on extended runs and still survive it. We lost by 19, and wasn't Vandy up 21-2 to start the game? We played them even after that run* but you CAN'T put yourself in that big of a hole against most Power 5 opponents and expect to come out of it. Also shot selection is a weakness for us, I'd say. With the raw offensive talent we have I don't see a reason why we should be shooting contested jumpers, like, ever.

*not saying this is a moral victory, just doing some math here

In our more notable wins this year, we were fortunate that the opponents more or less matched our poor shooting stats.  Most of our wins, the opponents shot in the low to middle 30% from the field which we matched or beat in most cases....and based on what I saw, those low FG stats by Conn, Okla, etc were not due to our excellent defense.   

Coastal Carolina had the misfortune to catch us in the hottest shooting game of the year....otherwise, the freshmen are shooting as well as the rest of the team other than DP who has lost his shooing eye lately.  

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

This was easily the worst game of the Bruce Pearl era here. No need to go into the gory details, other than to say that an odd court shouldn't be an excuse for sloppy passing, failure to get loose balls and poor defense.

Everybody has played on a crappy court.

It's no excuse.

19 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

Don't know what to think about coach Pearl.  I know he inherited a mess, but I thought they would play a little bit better in league play in his third year.  I'm just not seeing it.  I hope he gets things turned around and fast, but it appears to be the same results the past several years.  It will be interesting to see how long they give him to turn things around, at least being somewhat competitive in league play.

He inherited a dumpster fire.

It's taken two years to put it out and is now beginning to reap some recruiting rewards.

We are just now on the ground floor talent wise.  It will now take time to make a "team" out of all these 17-18 yo's.

I too have been suckered in by high expectations and early season "success".  

"Patience", I keep telling myself.  Still hoping for an NIT bid.

After last night I was extremely frustrated as I'm sure many of you are, but I think we should wait until after saturday before we make any major assumptions on how the rest of the season will play out. Georgia's a good, experienced team and vandy is a lot better than their record indicates. Ole miss is also decent but if we don't beat them at home we are in serious trouble. Let's just hope BP lights a fire in these guys and hope they come out fired up and play some good defense and get the win this saturday.  I love Chuck Person but something isn't clicking with him, I'm in favor of BP taking over the defense until Chuck gets himself together. 

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Apparently I was lucky as I did not get to see the game. From what I am reading we did not play well but the other thing I am seeing is apparently Auburn always seems to have some issues at Vandy. While I agree with Mikey that a strange Court does not excuse all the bad play. I think a strange court with so many young players would have compounded the issue.   I think we need to see a few more games both at home and away to be able to see if this team is getting better but still being impacted by so may young players or if they are regressing.

AU has issues at Vandy, but this was way more than that. The team has taken a few steps back in terms of development and chemistry. 

I'm probably completely wrong but I think somethings happened to the chemistry since Wiley came here. Don't get me wrong, Wiley is a beast and is going to be a great player, but guys like Purifoy have struggled since he's been playing. You'd think we'd have those issues solved by now but apparently not.  I think we should start Horace for the near future. Horace may be nowhere close to what Wiley can bring but the kid brings effort, energy, and decent shot blocking and defensive ability. I think if we start him until Wiley can get more experience and get in better shape it can help us short term in getting off to better defensive starts. I'm sure this seems like a ridiculous notion but I'm searching for answers on what has happened to the chemistry.

Young team, up and down. The upper classmen are two year players....the best players are the young players....we have talented guys but not so talented they change a team by themselves....the young guys are going to hit a wall around SEC play....stuff I keep posting before the season started but I'll keep on as it actually happens....

Now as far as something new that can be ignored, but is actually another intangible thing to think about.... playing out of a hole is 95% something you learn and lean on from more mature players, and something you learn to do from experience and it helps you as you continue playing.....I'm pretty sure we don't have anybody on the roster that have been battle tested and won like this. Nobody to lead....

And nope, can't blame a court. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Young team, up and down. The upper classmen are two year players....the best players are the young players....we have talented guys but not so talented they change a team by themselves....the young guys are going to hit a wall around SEC play....stuff I keep posting before the season started but I'll keep on as it actually happens....

Now as far as something new that can be ignored, but is actually another intangible thing to think about.... playing out of a hole is 95% something you learn and lean on from more mature players, and something you learn to do from experience and it helps you as you continue playing.....I'm pretty sure we don't have anybody on the roster that have been battle tested and won like this. Nobody to lead....

Great analyses.  Especially  I like the part where you say we have talented guys but not so talented they change a team by themselves.  That statement should quite the people who are talking about a couple of our players being one and done type talent. All of our young guys should be back next year as all have things they need to work on to have a chance to get to the next level. Herron needs to improve as a pure shooter, Purifoy needs to develop a pull up mid range game and improve his rebounding, Wiley needs to improve his coverage on pick and rolls, conditioning and develop a more consistent Offensive game around the basket.

Wiley because of his age has to be here next year and the others need to. They have the talent and can develop but if they leave early they will be playing in a lessor league then the NBA if at all.

i think after the second half metldown against GA, the young ones still havent figured out how to get out of what caused them to play so bad in the last part of that game. And so they were very tentative to start the Vandy game, and Vandy took over early, and when they saw they were almost down 20 with only 6 mins gone, they didnt know how to respond.

But the one thing i don't accept is a lack of intensity and ability to play strong defense. If you're not confident in your offense, at least play hard and smart D and yes we may have a few 9-5 scores in the early part of games, but at least they can recover.

I've heard Pearl say they must play better D, and the offense will come from that, but they don't seem to be showing it or doing it for some reason. i.e the reason for such a long talk after the game and no post game Pearl.

I guess one positive to take away from a game with so few is that after the first 5 minutes of the game we played them pretty evenly. I'm sure they took the foot of the gas somewhat but atleast it didn't snowball into a 40 point loss

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

great post

Archived