Christobal leaving UA.

ScottsboroAuburnFan

5 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Nothing official yet but there is smoke. That's a big loss for little man if he is gone.

Where will he land, Florida or Oregon?

13 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Can we get him?

Not right now. We can't add a 10th coach til April & our current vacancy is for a DB coach.

41 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Surely He wasn't gonna be let go, right?

It's possible. The Bams I've talked to the past few years say he's a great recruiter but a subpar OL coach.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's possible. The Bams I've talked to the past few years say he's a great recruiter but a subpar OL coach.  

That's all the SEC needs, for Bama to get better coaches that they currently have. 

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

What?  You mean he's not teaching them how to hold properly? Or is it the hands to the face that he isn't getting instilled well enough?

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

My bammer brother-in-law has cursed Mario for years, Oline has been undisciplined.  They racked up damn near 10 penalties vs Washington if I remember correctly.   

For the life of me I don't know how a bammer fan has the audacity to fuss and complain about one thing in that football program.  They crazy as hell I guess?

7 hours ago, keesler said:

My bammer brother-in-law has cursed Mario for years, Oline has been undisciplined.  They racked up damn near 10 penalties vs Washington if I remember correctly.   

For the life of me I don't know how a bammer fan has the audacity to fuss and complain about one thing in that football program.  They crazy as hell I guess?

I think almost all the oline penalties were on one player....cam robinson. He jumped all year long.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:03 PM, AU80cruiser said:

I think almost all the oline penalties were on one player....cam robinson. He jumped all year long.

I don't think Robinson or any of the others were called for holding too many times this season.

Well it's official now. He has gone to Oregon to become a co-offensive coordinator under Taggert. I would say that's a major blow to Bamas recruiting but as long as Dodge Chargers are still being made they won't have a problem.

In looking for some information on this Cristobal news, I run into this little story about some other coaches (potentially) leaving uat...  http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/report-alabama-attempting-keep-key-assistant-tuscaloosa/

The opening paragraph is what struck me:

"Former Maryland OC Mike Locksley turned heads when he accepted a $45,000 per year job at Alabama as an offensive analyst this season after previously making $898,940 with the Terrapins. With the low pay and off-field role, Nick Saban certainly knew that other teams would come seeking the services of the veteran coach and highly touted recruiter. According to a report from Football Scoop, it appears Saban has a plan to keep Locksley in Tuscaloosa."

I don't follow the coaching carousel stuff that closely and maybe these "analyst" rules are pretty lax but instead of just "turning heads" how does nobody at the NCAA or SEC look at a situation like this and turn their head 360 deg and say "WTH Nick"?

I mean, I can certainly get that some poor kid from a bad neighborhood would be willing to go ride the pine for him a couple for a few hundy here and there and maybe some 45" rims on his Charger but is it not a Red Flag when a grown man takes a $803,940.00 pay-cut to go make "cubicle money" working for him in such a "limited position"?

Forgive me if this was already discussed during the summer but I just saw this and it made me go :blink:.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

In looking for some information on this Cristobal news, I run into this little story about some other coaches (potentially) leaving uat...  http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/report-alabama-attempting-keep-key-assistant-tuscaloosa/

"Former Maryland OC Mike Locksley turned heads when he accepted a $45,000 per year job at Alabama as an offensive analyst this season after previously making $898,940 with the Terrapins. With the low pay and off-field role, Nick Saban certainly knew that other teams would come seeking the services of the veteran coach and highly touted recruiter. According to a report from Football Scoop, it appears Saban has a plan to keep Locksley in Tuscaloosa."

I don't follow the coaching carousel stuff that closely and maybe these "analyst" rules are pretty lax but instead of just "turning heads" how does nobody at the NCAA or SEC look at a situation like this and turn their head 360 deg and say "WTH Nick"?

I mean, I can certainly get that some poor kid from a bad neighborhood would be willing to go ride the pine for him a couple for a few hundy here and there and maybe some 45" rims on his Charger but is it not a Red Flag when a grown man takes a $803,940.00 pay-cut to go make "cubicle money" working for him in such a "limited position"?

Forgive me if this was already discussed during the summer but I just saw this and it made me go :blink:.

It does seem odd at best that someone would willingly take a pay cut of that magnitude... especially to work for someone who is widely known to be a nightmare boss. The thing is... I don't know that there's anything nefarious that could be going on.  It's not like schools have salary caps and have to pay analysts under the table. Heck, a school can load a coach down with drugs and hookers and the NCAA doesn't care (though the cops might). 

Was Locksley just a REALLY bad coach who couldn't land another coaching gig? I'm sure @augolf1716 is not a fan...

14 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I imagine there was some promise made to upgrade him to OC when Alabama presumed Kiffin would be getting ready to go, and then Sark came along, which bred competition. Or maybe UA just lied to him and never planned on promoting him over Sark. 

On 1/4/2017 at 10:15 PM, ellitor said:

Great coach and a sure fire killer on the recruiting trail. Very well liked by everyone one I know in the high school coaching community. Very well liked. Straight up guy. 

Told he really didn't fit in with the other personalities on the uat staff. 

Archived