Quarterback Coach

dabrasco

Question I have is when was the last time we had great QB development and who was the coach in charge of it? Is this person available to hire or come in as a consultant?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

Question I have is when was the last time we had great QB development and who was the coach in charge of it? Is this person available to hire or come in as a consultant?

Gorgeous Borges, baby. But I can't imagine that Gus will ever be hiring him. Nothing negative, no history, nothing like that. Just a million practical reasons it's not likely and none that it is. 

This is not an answer to the original question, but QBS under Dye seemed to have good progression over their career. He had a run of R Campbell, P Washington, Burger, Slack, and White. With the exception of White the others played sparingly as freshmen and sophomores and became very solid starters as juniors and seniors. White is an exception because he started as a redshirt freshman, but he too progressed over his career. I know the game has changed a ton but I wish we could get into that type of QB career sequence again. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Gorgeous Borges, baby. But I can't imagine that Gus will ever be hiring him. Nothing negative, no history, nothing like that. Just a million practical reasons it's not likely and none that it is. 

Loved Al.  Wish Tubs woulda let him spread his wings.  The handling of Caddy & Ronnie...pure genious.  And Campbell thrived under him.

45 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

We had a good QB coach last year, but he was coaching WR's, was also an ace recruiter.

What do you base this on? He has coached QB's at Tuskegee...I guess that makes him a QB coach?  He wasn't the QB coach(he was just given that title) at FSU, because Jimbo is. I was happy to have Dameyune back at Auburn for recruiting purposes, but he's not a proven QB or WR coach from my standpoint. He is a hired gun/top notch recruiter.

Just now, imaolgatiger said:

What do you base this on? He has coached QB's at Tuskegee...I guess that makes him a QB coach?  He wasn't the QB coach(he was just given that title) at FSU, because Jimbo is. I was happy to have Dameyune back at Auburn for recruiting purposes, but he's not a proven QB or WR coach from my standpoint. He is a hired gun/top notch recruiter.

Lol, just stirring the pot to see what it found.....

Just now, auburnphan said:

Lol, just stirring the pot to see what it found.....

Don't get me wrong, I wish DC was still on our side, but I hope we can do better than DC if we hire a QB coach. And yes, I do think we need one. However, talent makes a coach look good and other than Sean, we just haven't had it the last couple of years.  I wish TQ wasn't injured, because I think he could have been a good backup if not a starter. I was also sick on how things turned out for JJ. I really expected big things from him. I don't think his issues were coaching.

7 hours ago, dabrasco said:

Petrino was the last 1 I can remember If you include how he has progressed since leaving AU.

12 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Oh hell yes, Jack Crowe would definitely be an improvement at this point, lol.

I  thought Jack was already calling the offense....

Folks, not gonna happen as long as Gus and the Lash are on the Plains. Gus considers himself and Lash as QB gurus. Gus is probably sitting with Lash in some candle lit room around a waterpipe at this moment with their turbans on chanting and hoping for some vision of what to do next, and anything or anyone outside of their little circle ain't going to happen. Imho.

27 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Folks, not gonna happen as long as Gus and the Lash are on the Plains. Gus considers himself and Lash as QB gurus. Gus is probably sitting with Lash in some candle lit room around a waterpipe at this moment with their turbans on chanting and hoping for some vision of what to do next, and anything or anyone outside of their little circle ain't going to happen. Imho.

I liked this, but just for effect i really like this.

11 hours ago, cctiger said:

I wouldn't assume Gus sees Rhett as a QB guru anymore. Just sayin.

This? Again? Really? smh...and so it goes...

4 hours ago, WarTim said:

This? Again? Really? smh...and so it goes...

Until we get more consistent QB play threads like this should be expected.

IMO, Sullivan and Borges are the only coaches to coach our QB's up and get the best and have them really to play every Saturday.

Archived