Quarterback Coach

dabrasco

On 1/10/2017 at 9:19 AM, ellitor said:

It's possible the new coach will be on defense but it won't be Kevin Greene IMO. 1. Coach Steele coaches OLBs & Bucks. 2. Steele & KG did not get along when they were at Carolina. Not sure where they stand with each other now but if Gus let's Steele make the call if it's a new D coach like he did with Brown I just don't see it. 3. After losing CWMcG we need a recruiter. I'm not saying KG can't recruit but he has never done it since he has never coached at the college level. It would take nealy 2 years for him to have an impact on the recruiting trail.

The new coach will be on offense. So I'm told anyways. Well let me rephrase this, AU will be bringing in a new offensive assistant. Not sure if this coach will be the new assistant or replace a existing assistant. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It could if Gus is opened to tweaking his offensive philosophy a little bit.  It would bring in a different point of view if that point of view can see the light of day.  It all revolves around Gus, as it should.  Only time will tell.

Correct.  I just don't think he's going to let his QB coach game plan. If he brings in a separate QB coach, it will be for the purpose of them focusing 100% on QBs.

26 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Correct.  I just don't think he's going to let his QB coach game plan. If he brings in a separate QB coach, it will be for the purpose of them focusing 100% on QBs.

I'm just hoping that who ever we bring in to the offensive side of the ball, Gus will be open to hearing different ways to structure his offense and have someone else to bounce ideas off of when things get tight in games.  Gus has to learn that if it's not his idea, it doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

I'm just hoping that who ever we bring in to the offensive side of the ball, Gus will be open to hearing different ways to structure his offense and have someone else to bounce ideas off of when things get tight in games.  Gus has to learn that if it's not his idea, it doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

Totally agree with the highlighted. I just highly doubt a QB coach will be that guy. I still think the focus needs to be on a new OC. I'd love to see us bring in an new OC and make Rhett full time QB coach, but I doubt Gus would demote him.

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

We really need to sign a HS TE this year that can redshirt.  Hopefully we use Canella a lot and it opens the door to TE talent next year.

Canella has 3 seasons to play. We don't need a HS TE this year but will sign 1 next year since Harris will only have 1 year left after that.

5 hours ago, AuGrad2004 said:

So as far as QB coach.

I'm hearing Chip Lindsey.  There's a Gus connection so sounds logical to me.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lots of smoke with Chip. 

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Considering he's a Power-5 OC and has been receiving head coaching offers, I kind of doubt he'd take a QB coach position.

Well after reading this article: 

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2016/07/18/asus-todd-graham-chip-lindseys-strength-qb-development/87266652/

He sounds just like what we need. But like lionheartkc said he is an OC and I doubt he would move just to become a QB coach. He does have Georgia high school football coaching experience and has college recruited in the south while a S Miss, which are both +'s in my book. Oh to have a blank check book.

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2016/07/18/asus-todd-graham-chip-lindseys-strength-qb-development/87266652/

He sounds just like what we need. But like lionheartkc said he is an OC and I doubt he would move just to become a QB coach. He does have Georgia high school football coaching experience and has college recruited in the south while a S Miss, which are both +'s in my book. Oh to have a blank check book.

So let's play a hypothetical game. Someone mentioned in another thread that Gus has been on record saying that if the NCAA allowed an additional assistant, he'd hire a full-time Special Teams coordinator (currently coached by Scott Fountain, along with TEs). So, it could be that:

Name                          Current Position                       Hypothetical Position

Scott Fountain                   ST/TEs                                 ST Coordinator

Rhett Lashlee                  co-OC/QBs                            TE/H-back coach

Chip Lindsey                     OC (ASU)                                 co-OC/QBs

In this scenario, we have Hand/Lindsey as co-OCs and Lindsey working with QBs. Rhett stays as an on-the-field coach and works with a critical position. Special Teams gets a full-time coordinator.

17 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

E mentioned in another thread that Gus has been on record saying that if the NCAA allowed an additional assistant, he'd hire a full-time Special Teams coordinator

No I'm not. I just saw another poster say they read Gus saying that & that's the first time I've heard of it.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No I'm not. I just saw another poster say they read Gus saying that & that's the first time I've heard of it.

My bad. Serves me right for browsing at work. Edited my post.

Would Lindsey be a yes man for Gus or someone who could convince him to make some much needed changes offensively?

1 hour ago, CR said:

Would Lindsey be a yes man for Gus or someone who could convince him to make some much needed changes offensively?

I would hope that the fact Gus is bringing in someone (whom ever it may be) to join the offense side of the coaching staff means he has realized he needs some help and is open to suggestions.  Otherwise what's the point! 

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

He has Alabama HS coaching experience too..I know this because twice I played against his  Colbert Heights teams.

Yes, this Chip Lindsey thing sounds intriguing but it is hard to see how the pieces can be moved around with the existing staff. Anything that causes RL a demotion doesnt seem possible. I read somewhere where CL was making over $500,000 as OC at ASU, so I see that would would have to offer him a little more to come back, and its hard to believe that we woould have that many high priced coaches, without moving someone else out of the coaching staff.

While, i see the need for a very good QB coach and someone to provide offensive input...someone will have to give me some feedback to show how the pieces can fit...

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

He has Alabama HS coaching experience too..I know this because twice I played against his  Colbert Heights teams.

I like the guys resume. On paper sounds like a perfect fit as a QB coach. I just don't see him leaving a OC job for a QB job. In my 2 year high school varsity football experience, he only comes her as an OC/QB coach. Which means Rhett????? 

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I read somewhere where CL was making over $500,000 as OC at ASU, so I see that would would have to offer him a little more to come back, and its hard to believe that we woould have that many high priced coaches, without moving someone else out of the coaching staff.

$500k is not high priced on the AU coaching salary hierarchy.

6 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I like the guys resume. On paper sounds like a perfect fit as a QB coach. I just don't see him leaving a OC job for a QB job. In my 2 year high school varsity football experience, he only comes her as an OC/QB coach. Which means Rhett????? 

imagepng

Maybe we can swap Lashlee for Lindsey? Louisville and Moo State just swapped Defensive Coordinators.

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes, this Chip Lindsey thing sounds intriguing but it is hard to see how the pieces can be moved around with the existing staff. Anything that causes RL a demotion doesnt seem possible. I read somewhere where CL was making over $500,000 as OC at ASU, so I see that would would have to offer him a little more to come back, and its hard to believe that we woould have that many high priced coaches, without moving someone else out of the coaching staff.

While, i see the need for a very good QB coach and someone to provide offensive input...someone will have to give me some feedback to show how the pieces can fit...

After flirting with Southern Miss, ASU gave Lindsey a raise to $650k

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2016/01/29/asu-offensive-coordinator-chip-lindsey-get-pay-increase/79528348/

I think that CGM shows he can make changes. He stated he had turned over playcalling duties to Lashlee which would be a hard thing for him to do with his offensive history. And he is not stupid as he surely looked at his offensive stats and saw that there are problems, not just with injured or weak production QBs. He knows how much they need to have a better offense if he is going to win more than 8 games.

So I believe he is trying to make changes to better the offense...

On 1/11/2017 at 9:02 AM, lionheartkc said:

Considering he's a Power-5 OC and has been receiving head coaching offers, I kind of doubt he'd take a QB coach position.

Not so far fetched now is it?

9 minutes ago, AuGrad2004 said:

Not so far fetched now is it?

Nope... said as much in the Rhett thread. I think he's probably the most likely OC candidate, unless Gus does something stupid like promote Hand.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Nope... said as much in the Rhett thread. I think he's probably the most likely OC candidate, unless Gus does something stupid like promote Hand.

Archived