PJ Fleck to Minnesota

ScottsboroAuburnFan

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18418215/minnesota-golden-gophers-hire-pj-fleck-replace-tracy-claeys

Fleck will receive a 5-year deal at Minnesota, according to ESPN's Brett McMurphy and multiple reports. Fox 9 in Minneapolis was first to report a tentative agreement between Fleck and Minnesota.

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Announcement soon. Deal is being finalized.

Bad bad move imo. Should have held out for better job.

The Apple of one's eye, my friend.

Will commit head coaching suicide in that gopherhole. They've had a dumpster fire at Minnesota for awhile now. Don't know if Fleck can put it out or not. Probably not.

I really thought Les Miles would have gotten that gig. So much for that. If Fleck can win 7 or more games each season, he will do fine there. Anything above that, he will be called on early and often by bigger schools looking for a solid HC.

Now we'll see if Fleck can really coach. If he can turn one of the perennial bottom feeders of the Big Ten into a national contender then he'll be able to pick his job.

Good move, IMO.  Takes over a turmoiled school. Expectations will be low enough to be given the time to solidly build a program. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Good move, IMO.  Takes over a turmoiled school. Expectations will be low enough to be given the time to solidly build a program. 

Maybe?

Seems he inherited a pretty good roster if he can get them to focus on playing football rather than defending thug team mates. 

Hoping for Fleck that the "support" for the suspended players was just a short term lack of judgment....and the players will re-focus....but signing day should be very interesting....he does not have much time to save their commits. 

On 1/6/2017 at 0:01 PM, bigbird said:

I think it's a good move, too.  It's all dependent on how good a job he does recruiting.  Good start so far

Maybe no big surprise but looks like Fleck has found a way to deal with the malcontent players at Minnesota.....he's brining at least 6 of his commits from Western Michigan with him.....and might not be the end of it. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/6-recruits-flip-from-western-michigan-to-minnesota-on-p-j-flecks-first-day-162558217.html

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Maybe no big surprise but looks like Fleck has found a way to deal with the malcontent players at Minnesota.....he's brining at least 6 of his commits from Western Michigan with him.....and might not be the end of it. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/6-recruits-flip-from-western-michigan-to-minnesota-on-p-j-flecks-first-day-162558217.html

Well that's showing his love for W. Mi. wonder if they still love him...

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well that's showing his love for W. Mi. wonder if they still love him...

Probably not as much as last week. :)  But schools like WMU expect to lose their coaches if they have a good season.   But also says something about his recruiting and Minnesota's players and commits  if he thinks he has 6 guys who can play in the Big10.... 

47 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Minnesota just relieved us of Robb Smith. Maybe you guys should schedule them.

Interesting ...was wondering if some of the staff would stay considering the 9-4 season but maybe Claey's comments /position on the boycott were  the kiss of death for everyone on the staff. ?

I assume no tears in Fayetteville over his departure? :)

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Interesting ...was wondering if some of the staff would stay considering the 9-4 season but maybe Claey's comments /position on the boycott were  the kiss of death for everyone on the staff. ?

I assume no tears in Fayetteville over his departure? :)

Haha we've been expecting it for a while, not the last defensive guy that will leave. Paul Rhoads may have a shot at it.

2 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Haha we've been expecting it for a while, not the last defensive guy that will leave. Paul Rhoads may have a shot at it.

How many more mediocre or worse seasons before you send Bret packing? He's yet to win more games than he's lost at Arkansas, and people here are calling for Gus's head when he went to the National Championship Game and hasn't had a losing season.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

How many more mediocre or worse seasons before you send Bret packing? He's yet to win more games than he's lost at Arkansas, and people here are calling for Gus's head when he went to the National Championship Game and hasn't had a losing season.

He has next year. If we go something like 9-4 he'd probably be ok, but less than that would be enough to consider ponying up for the buyout.

7 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

He has next year. If we go something like 9-4 he'd probably be ok, but less than that would be enough to consider ponying up for the buyout.

While I know it doesn't sound like a nice thing, I hope you have another disappointing season, next year.  I've never thought Bret was worthy and I hope you get someone much better... and less obnoxious... to replace him.

49 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I know it doesn't sound like a nice thing, I hope you have another disappointing season, next year.  I've never thought Bret was worthy and I hope you get someone much better... and less obnoxious... to replace him.

Not sure who all is out there that we could get though. Supposedly Gundy had some interest last time (he has/had a kid at Arkansas and isn't getting along with the OSU administration) but we went with Bielema.

44 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Not sure who all is out there that we could get though. Supposedly Gundy had some interest last time (he has/had a kid at Arkansas and isn't getting along with the OSU administration) but we went with Bielema.

I hear Les Miles is available :) 

Archived