Jacobs needs to meet with Gus

doc4aday

I know that Gus & JJ usually have a meeting at the end of the season to assess the damages or positives about the ended season.  Whoever will be the college president, needs to let Gus know that if he wants to coach beyond 2017 at Auburn, he has to do the following:

1. The college president and board of trustees needs to meet first together and put together a list of must-does and then have another meeting with Jacobs in attendance. Jacobs needs to be instructed that Gus must part ways with Lashlee and bring in an elite OC that understands how the spread offense works and what he can bring to the table. Gus will either go along with this and give Lashlee a decent severance package. Gus will be given his kiddie cuffs with a fairly short length. It all depends on Jacobs being given an strict instructions of what he must do to keep his job. Money talks folks, and this is what needs to be spread out on the table with instructions that must be followed. I hope that we can have something with some sharp teeth that will bite into JJ & Gus' rear ends. 

Won't happen.  Never happens this way in the business world.  There may be some innuendos of winning more or beating this or that team or the expectations of playing for championships...

I don't think we need to force Gus to do anything. If he can't see the problem that everyone else can clearly see then he does not deserve to be our head football coach. I believe that he needs to be advised on what he needs to do but allowed to make that decision himself. He should then be held accountable for the decisions he does or doesn't make. 

8 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I know that Gus & JJ usually have a meeting at the end of the season to assess the damages or positives about the ended season.  Whoever will be the college president, needs to let Gus know that if he wants to coach beyond 2017 at Auburn, he has to do the following:

1. The college president and board of trustees needs to meet first together and put together a list of must-does and then have another meeting with Jacobs in attendance. Jacobs needs to be instructed that Gus must part ways with Lashlee and bring in an elite OC that understands how the spread offense works and what he can bring to the table. Gus will either go along with this and give Lashlee a decent severance package. Gus will be given his kiddie cuffs with a fairly short length. It all depends on Jacobs being given an strict instructions of what he must do to keep his job. Money talks folks, and this is what needs to be spread out on the table with instructions that must be followed. I hope that we can have something with some sharp teeth that will bite into JJ & Gus' rear ends. 

Absolutely NOT to all of that.  The last thing we need to do is having the higher ups tell any coach what they need to do in regards to anything related to their program.  It's up to the coaching staff to identify the issues and fix them.  It's not up to the President or the AD to issue ultimatums.  That would create a major cluster screw of everything and in no way would it solve anything..  In fact it would be damaging to the future of the program. 

36 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Absolutely NOT to all of that.  The last thing we need to do is having the higher ups tell any coach what they need to do in regards to anything related to their program.  It's up to the coaching staff to identify the issues and fix them.  It's not up to the President or the AD to issue ultimatums.  That would create a major cluster screw of everything and in no way would it solve anything..  In fact it would be damaging to the future of the program. 

Agree with your post with exceptions.  I agree that the President of AU should never issue an ultimatum to the head football coach.  The President should issue ultimatums to the AD, who in turn, should issue ultimatums to the head football coach.  What is damaging to our football program is that we have a weak AD and a weak HC.  Hopefully our new AU President can correct the weak AD issue by hiring a new competent AD.  Then, hopefully, that new competent AD will then hire a new, competent head football coach.

wde

I'm not a fan of Jacobs based largely on the state of men's sports. A change at AD would be welcomed. As far as Gus goes, don't give him any staff ultimatums. Just let him know that the past 3 season's results will be good enough for many schools across the country and a few in the SEC but not at Auburn. Let him either sink or swim next year but with his own decisions being made about his staff. I believe he has to be solely responsible and accountable for any changes at this time. If he wants to continue at 8-5 each year he can do it somewhere in Arkansas. 

Jacobs is going to stick with Malzahn no matter what our record is every year. Us going 8-5 twice and then 7-6 should tell you that.

52 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Jacobs is going to stick with Malzahn no matter what our record is every year. Us going 8-5 twice and then 7-6 should tell you that.

Agree. If Jacobs gauges his coaches success rate on his own standard then he thinks 7-6, 8-5 is successful. Seems he misses the mark more than not and that's being generous. 

6 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Understood WT.

WDE Doc

8 hours ago, WarTiger said:

If I could I would use all my likes for the week on this one post.

Though I believe Malzahn will be gone if he has another 7 or 8 wins next years, I just don't trust Jacobs in hiring a proven winning head coach.

Oh yeah, having a freaking administrator dictate staff changes to the head coach, that's a winning formula. Come on...:thumbsdown:

Win and he's in. Loose and he's out. End of discussion. ;) 

Jay meet Gus, Gus meet Jay..............cup of coffee?.......yeah........blah, blah, blah.......

Jay Jacobs would be a great AD at a school like a Arkansas State, Southern Miss, Tulane or a Louisiana-Monroe where 7-6 and 8-5 records are considered awesome years.The fans love the head coach that Jacobs hired cause he's such winner and he's apart of their "family".

Realistically will Jacobs ever be fired? He can sit around and brag all he wants about how the non-revenue sports have improved, but the man has completely destroyed football, basketball, and baseball.  The upsetting part is we have never been great in basketball and baseball but I also don't think we were ever in the cellar of the SEC every year.  So embarrassing. The new president must do a complete review of the athletic department imo and then sack Jacobs and go from there.

On 1/6/2017 at 11:24 PM, doc4aday said:

Doc did you forget the last time the BOT and the AU President meddled in the football program?  JetGate ring a bell?

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Doc did you forget the last time the BOT and the AU President meddled in the football program?  JetGate ring a bell?

Hey Keesler! I hope that you and your family had a wonderful Christmas and New Years!

I did give  a lot of thought about jetgate and its ramifications on the football program. It seems that we are at a crossroads as to what to do with to do with this. The situation here is so much different than jetgate. We pretty much know what are faced with. Gus is the kind of coach that sometimes must be jolted back into the reality of the situation at hand. There is no wrong answer as is no right answer to resolve the football issue. However there are answers that could have a dramatic effect with resolving the issue.

Jacobs does need to meet with Gus and have a heart to heart talk about the future of the program, and what Gus is going to do to right the ship. My guess is that Jacobs will give Gus the green light with the DB coach hire. I believe that we hired a solid DB coach who can recruit. I am thinking that Gus wants to surround himself with competent position coaches who can do their job of which is on the defensive side of the ball.

The offensive side of the ball is the area of  concern of which needs to be addressed before spring practice kicks in. I hope that Jacobs will give Gus some ideas as to how to address the problem(s). After the Sugar Bowl I like many of you, were very disappointed with the play of the team. I blame the coaching staff far more than the young men on the field who were trying to do the best they could with what the coaching staff had given them throughout the game. We know there were busted assignments here and there, and that happens even to the best of teams. Some say we need a new OC, a QB coach, and so on.

I as well as many of you, want us to be a much better team next year on both sides of the ball. A 9-3 season would be a sign that we are finally turning the corner that we seem to have missed since the end of our 2013 season. If JS is all he has been proclaimed to be, maybe we can move back to the lead for the SEC West

While ADs should not give ultimatums they should and do give expected guidelines. Rest assured that Gus has been giving those details. While JJ may bend quite far sometimes, he has also been made very aware that the present trend cannot continue and JJ values his job immensely. That said while no particular numbers were given it was quite obvious that wins do matter. A repeat of this year WILL cost Gus his job and he knows that. Will he make the changes he needs ? I don't know, but he knows that his days are numbered if he can't find the answers. WDE

I would think that any AD in any program would meet with each individual head coach at seasons end to assess where the program is going. I do not understand why there is so much negativity about this. We all have a dislike of Jacobs and rightfully so at times. This is no excuse for the AD to go about his merry way whistling down the hallway to his office without any plans to meet with the coaches in all athletic programs.

Who knows if JJ has any concern whatsoever about our football team. He might be pleased as punch over this past season, and is ready to hit the golf course without a care whatsoever. The degree of accountability should be a huge factor that motivates any AD at any program in this country, especially one in the SEC. Alumni and boosters donate millions of dollars and you can bet that they are breathing down Jacobs' neck as to what they expect.

No one likes this including myself. However, accountability is what makes or breaks an athletic program including Auburn in a very huge way. I would be bet that they are doing this here and now. There are some of us who take the position that coaches are the ones who decide who they want as their assistants without any input from their AD.  However, others who believe that when problems get to a certain point to where intervention is necessary for the good of the program, the AD needs to step in and have a serious heart to heart with the head coach. The AD should sit down with  the HC and come up with solutions to right the ship.

I am at this point right now and believe that JJ should take whatever time it takes to come up with a plan that will give Auburn the best chances to improve our record for 2017. Sometimes, micromanagement is the solution to right the ship. Failure to do this when the situation warrants this, is a recipe for disaster.

Archived