Jacobs needs to meet with Gus

doc4aday

7 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I would think that any AD in any program would meet with each individual head coach at seasons end to assess where the program is going. I do not understand why there is so much negativity about this. We all have a dislike of Jacobs and rightfully so at times. This is no excuse for the AD to go about his merry way whistling down the hallway to his office without any plans to meet with the coaches in all athletic programs. Because your first sentence in this post is not what you initially said.  You said the PRESIDENT (and the BOT) should issue ultimatums to Malzahn.  What you are saying now is a complete 180 from what you started this thread with.  Oh, and NO we do not all have a dislike of Jacobs.  The AD does meet with the head coaches after every season but that wasn't the original premise of the thread.

Who knows if JJ has any concern whatsoever about our football team. He might be pleased as punch over this past season, and is ready to hit the golf course without a care whatsoever. The degree of accountability should be a huge factor that motivates any AD at any program in this country, especially one in the SEC. Alumni and boosters donate millions of dollars and you can bet that they are breathing down Jacobs' neck as to what they expect.  If you don't think Jacobs cares about the state of the football program then nothing anybody says here will convince you otherwise.  But its completely ludicrous to thing the AD doesn't care about the financial backbone of his own department.

No one likes this including myself. However, accountability is what makes or breaks an athletic program including Auburn in a very huge way. I would be bet that they are doing this here and now. There are some of us who take the position that coaches are the ones who decide who they want as their assistants without any input from their AD.  However, others who believe that when problems get to a certain point to where intervention is necessary for the good of the program, the AD needs to step in and have a serious heart to heart with the head coach. The AD should sit down with  the HC and come up with solutions to right the ship.  Again, not what you initially said.  I still vehemently disagree that the AD needs to help find solutions.  That's not his job.  His job is to leave the coaching up to the coach.  He may offer his assistance or voice his willingness to help out, but its not his job to actually coach football or identify problems on the field.  Let the coach identify the problem and make the necessary adjustments to make it work.

I am at this point right now and believe that JJ should take whatever time it takes to come up with a plan that will give Auburn the best chances to improve our record for 2017. Sometimes, micromanagement is the solution to right the ship. Failure to do this when the situation warrants this, is a recipe for disaster.   Again, not the job of the AD.   That's solely on the shoulders of the head coach and the rest of the coaching staff, not the AD.    Telling a coach what to do or how to do it or what plays to call or what routes the WR should run is just asking for trouble.  That's just not how you accomplish progress.  There's a huge difference in offering support and assistance vs. micromanaging the situation and forcing someones hand. 

54 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

While I agree with you, I do believe in this situation that Gus did not have a come to Jesus moment with his offensive staff, but was informed a change is needed, he has to work that out.  While his 1st choice was somewhat shockingly turned down by administration we will have to wait and see what the next move is.

On 1/7/2017 at 8:26 AM, WarTiger said:

Absolutely NOT to all of that.  The last thing we need to do is having the higher ups tell any coach what they need to do in regards to anything related to their program.  It's up to the coaching staff to identify the issues and fix them.  It's not up to the President or the AD to issue ultimatums.  That would create a major cluster screw of everything and in no way would it solve anything..  In fact it would be damaging to the future of the program. 

Agree with you entirely. This would not only handcuff CGM worse than any perceived handcuff he's given himself with Lashlee, but it turns away future coaches we would be interested in should we ever decide to part ways with CGM. No coach wants to be where they can't put their own program together.

Jacobs has been around football all his life. Even though he has not be in the field coaching, i think he has people advising him on the needs of the program, besides CGM. They just come out of the woodwork when the team struggles like it has the last 3 years. 

I do believe that JJ as the boss, would have a sitdown meeting with Gus to evaluate the football program, and ask CGM what he will do to improve those deficient areas, which has to include offensive issues. 

Stat Tiger has shown with areas of concern on the offensive side that has directly led to us losing some games we should have never lost. 

And as laymen here, we may not know x's and o's, we have watched enough football to raise concerns when our head coach:

1. comes up with the game plan that he tried against CLemson with the 3 headed QB, causing a terrible offensive display. It took us 3 games for coaches to overcome that and settile down with SW running the offense. Why did he feel he needed to use such a bizarre scheme when he had a healthy SW. 

2, Tells the media during the year that he is giving up the playcalling and spending more time just being the HC, turning over the playcalling to RL and then at the end of the year we are hearing he has taken over the calling again. Who knows what to believe. But when our coach is our coach because of his offensive success, why are we going through such indecision in our offensive program.

I realize CGM is still learning on the job as a HC, and success definitely came too quickly for him that first year. Many here cant stand the playcalling, others cant stand that we run pass plays that are so vanilla, or they simply dont know how to call pass plays that show dedication to a variable passing scheme. But with a very good passing QB, that seems to have all the QB skills we need, i HOPE the offense is diverse and consistent to helping us win the important games.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I realize CGM is still learning on the job as a HC, and success definitely came too quickly for him that first year. Many here cant stand the playcalling, others cant stand that we run pass plays that are so vanilla, or they simply dont know how to call pass plays that show dedication to a variable passing scheme. But with a very good passing QB, that seems to have all the QB skills we need, i HOPE the offense is diverse and consistent to helping us win the important games.

Agreed. We'll see if Malzahn can shake his stubborn nature and actually evolve his offense to the point he abandons his dependency on running on 1st and 2nd down and actually opens it up to use the passing game to back off the D, and not as a last hope on 3rd and long. 

15 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Can you teach me how to do purple highlights on posts? Seriously, I would like to know how to do this. Yes, Gus needs to have a soul searching meeting with JJ no doubt. Heck, I cannot remember when I last flushed the toilet, much less keep up with my posts! Anyhow, all is good and I take no offense with the highlights, it does bring out the worst of best of me of which all should be informed of!

Again we're gonna play the national champions and national runner ups in the SAME season. Good grief...

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Again we're gonna play the national champions and national runner ups in the SAME season. Good grief...

and again,

#1 away

Don't you know that JJ and Gus are breathing a sigh of relief today because Bammer didn't win another NC last night.

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

What a great opportunity for us

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

When Life gives you Lemons...

sue the manufacturer.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And in '03, we played both national champions.

We really need to find a new thing to be "our thing". 

Whatever doesn't kill you

makes you limp around for a while.

On 1/6/2017 at 7:24 PM, doc4aday said:

I know that Gus & JJ usually have a meeting at the end of the season to assess the damages or positives about the ended season.  Whoever will be the college president, needs to let Gus know that if he wants to coach beyond 2017 at Auburn, he has to do the following:

1. The college president and board of trustees needs to meet first together and put together a list of must-does and then have another meeting with Jacobs in attendance. Jacobs needs to be instructed that Gus must part ways with Lashlee and bring in an elite OC that understands how the spread offense works and what he can bring to the table. Gus will either go along with this and give Lashlee a decent severance package. Gus will be given his kiddie cuffs with a fairly short length. It all depends on Jacobs being given an strict instructions of what he must do to keep his job. Money talks folks, and this is what needs to be spread out on the table with instructions that must be followed. I hope that we can have something with some sharp teeth that will bite into JJ & Gus' rear ends. 

A little late to this thread, and maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of the original post, but I'm assuming it has to do with Lashlee not being a capable O.C. or disappointment with his play calling (or both).  If I'm wrong in assuming this, then ignore the latter part.

Since I'm a little sick and tired of the constant tirade of Lashlee being an inept coordinator by some AU faithful let me make one point clear.  If it weren't for Lashlee taking over the offense and play calling duties our season would have gone in a different direction very quickly... and not in a good way.  In addition, for those who think Lashlee was still calling plays versus UGA or UA then I highly recommend to reconsider their stance based off of the VERY similar play calling from Clemson and Texas A&M versus UGA and UA.

I think the issue on offense is pretty simple really.  This season it came down to the depth we have at QB (lack thereof).  When the pieces were there it seemed AU could not be stopped on offense.  When injuries hit, I believe Gus took over the play calling duties to adjust for JF3 and JJ which was quite unfortunate. 

On 1/10/2017 at 10:34 AM, bigbird said:

Would feel the same if Gus wasn't the way he is.

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Would feel the same if Gus wasn't the way he is.

Well, it's a great opportunity for Gus too.  It's his time to evolve as a coach and what better way then to have the opportunity to compete with the best from last year?  It's time for optimism, just my opionion, I reserve the right to be wrong.

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Methinks that Bird didn't have his sarcasm switch engaged. 

Not this time. I truly believe this gives us a great opportunity to learn from past mistakes, create a new identity, and give our team (coaches and players) a real boost of confidence.

Just now, bigbird said:

Not this time. I truly believe this gives us a great opportunity to learn from past mistakes, create a new identity, and give our team (coaches and players) a real boost of confidence.

Ah. Well, you're right. I just hope I can nut up and genuinely view it that way by the time the season rolls around. 

Archived