Greg Brown

auburn4ever

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Can we all agree some guys NO MATTER HOW good of a program they are at some coaches are just not good recruiters? Greg Brown would fall in this category. You are bringing him in to coach em up. he most certainly is not getting hired for his recruiting abilities.

How possibly can you conclude this? Please do tell? Greg Brown has been at 1 successful Power 5 program in his career. Bama. I am not putting UL in this. So no, I won't agree with you. Do I think his past shows some underwhelming in recruiting? Sure. I also realize he has never recruited with any schools with major resources.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We don't know that yet. GB has only spent 1 year at a high quality program like AU.None of his other stop had near the recruiting resources AU does.

And since the 10th coach coming in April will likely be a recruiting style coach on the D side of the ball GB does not have to be.

Wait what?   We do not know if he is a good recruiter?  If he has not proven it yet,. Then he is not... until he is.   He may become one at AU but currently from what little I know ,. He is not based on tenure at pretty much every location.  

I beleive he is a hired gun,.  We are all in for next year bar none.  Gus wants to remain a HC and next year is the year.   

5 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Wait what?   We do not know if he is a good recruiter?  If he has not proven it yet,. Then he is not... until he is.   He may become one at AU but currently from what little I know ,. He is not based on tenure at pretty much every location.  

I beleive he is a hired gun,.  We are all in for next year bar none.  Gus wants to remain a HC and next year is the year.   

Can we all agree some guys NO MATTER HOW good of a program they are at some coaches are just not good recruiters?

That is what E was responding to. You cannot know this until you see him recruit for a school like AU. He has recruited for average schools, who tend to rely on 2 and 3 stars.  Now, if he is recruiting at UGA, FSU, Bama, etc and only recruiting 2 or 3 stars, then you would have an argument.

Everyone points to his two and three star players, but fail to realize that is what schools like Wyoming, Purdue, Arizona, and Colorado are built with. They very rarely have the 4 star and even more rare the 5 star players...if ever

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Everyone points to his two and three star players, but fail to realize that is what schools like Wyoming, Purdue, Arizona, and Colorado are built with. They very rarely have the 4 star and even more rare the 5 star players...if ever

Why would Louisville have him as their Recruiting Coordinator if he didn't know how to recruit ?

4 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Why would Louisville have him as their Recruiting Coordinator if he didn't know how to recruit ?

Yikes. Logic has risen it's head.

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well if he was a good recruiter he would have had th 5 stars at Wyoming. Right,  ?

49 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is just stupid. Really stupid.  I think most people, including myself, are excited that we have a guy who seems like a quality coach in the secondary. I think most people, like myself, feel like his previous past of lower ranked recruiting can be offset by the resources set forth by AU. I think most people, like myself, are wondering why this guy is being dismissed before he ever coached a freaking down for AU. So, yes, I will give him the benefit of a doubt because he coaches at AU. Guess what? That is also okay.  

Also these big programs you speak of are the likes of UL, CU, Wyoming, Purdue, Arizona, Missouri..Many of these schools are not bringing in the Jabril Peppers of the world. You can argue UL, that is about it. Be realistic. You know your boy CDC? A lot of people dismissed him as a fit at AU because he was an "average" position coach. Do you think that is right? Nor is it okay to completely dismiss Coach brown either. 

I could easily turn that around and spin it in my argument and say does that not worry you that he is 59 years old and has only been a coach at 1 program that has our resources before now?

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is just stupid. Really stupid.  I think most people, including myself, are excited that we have a guy who seems like a quality coach in the secondary. I think most people, like myself, feel like his previous past of lower ranked recruiting can be offset by the resources set forth by AU. I think most people, like myself, are wondering why this guy is being dismissed before he ever coached a freaking down for AU. So, yes, I will give him the benefit of a doubt because he coaches at AU. Guess what? That is also okay.  

Also these big programs you speak of are the likes of UL, CU, Wyoming, Purdue, Arizona, Missouri..Many of these schools are not bringing in the Jabril Peppers of the world. You can argue UL, that is about it. Be realistic. You know your boy CDC? A lot of people dismissed him as a fit at AU because he was an "average" position coach. Do you think that is right? Nor is it okay to completely dismiss Coach brown either. 

I will take average position coach who is a great recruiter anyday over the better coach but weaker recruiter. You obviously prefer the better coach. Different philosophies that is all. A life of a coach is a lot easier with the more talented player obviously.

If one can turn 3 star recruits into 5 star players that lessons the stress over recruiting and opens his pool of players tremendously. If one needs 5 star recruits to perform as 5 star players that put his margin of error for recruiting at zero. I'll take the first one every time.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Because a lot of us have learned that while recruiting is important it's nowhere near the end all be all that you think it is. Hell if it was UGA would have had at least a couple of natties the past 36 year but they don't. They have had 30 or more top 10 classes in that time but 0, national titles. As I told you before you can't just recruit your ass off and do nothing else. It's not a video game where you just get the talent & they progress on their own from year to year.

Don't act like georgia under richt was a bad program. they whipped our butts and had a better more consistent program he just could never win the big one. What kirby is doing scares me. He already has the QB in place now he is getting the rest of the team talent up in a major way. IDK how it will pan out but recruiting in georgia has been a problem for us this year. We are getting worked big time like we have not seen in a long time. NOW HOW THE HAYUUUUL you being the recruiting sharpshooter going to side with a guy who is OBVIOUSLY not being hired for his recruiting greatness? OL? ok yah thats where you need a technician. Secondary has long been a problem for us for awhile for bringing in consistent talent. IMO we need a elite recruiter there.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If one can turn 3 star recruits into 5 star players that lessons the stress over recruiting and opens his pool of players tremendously. If one needs 5 star recruits to perform as 5 star players that put his margin of error for recruiting at zero. I'll take the first one every time.

Agree with this totally. Believe it wasn't that long ago we had 4 star talent being coached (or not) but diving at ankles rather than making contact and locking up. Teaching/developing fundamentals will go further (most times) than talent alone.

49 minutes ago, DAG said:

Can we all agree some guys NO MATTER HOW good of a program they are at some coaches are just not good recruiters?

That is what E was responding to. You cannot know this until you see him recruit for a school like AU. He has recruited for average schools, who tend to rely on 2 and 3 stars.  Now, if he is recruiting at UGA, FSU, Bama, etc and only recruiting 2 or 3 stars, then you would have an argument.

I am aware what E was responding too.  But until he proves he is a good recruiter,. Then he is not,  one is or is not. 

It is not a knock,.  And I do not mean it as a negative.

We did not know T-Will was a great recruiter until this year really.  He's earning that.  

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Devils advocate,.  What could he do with a 5* recruit?  

Just now, The Plainsman said:

Devils advocate,.  What could he do with a 5* recruit?  

A lot, but there aren't a whole lot out there.

Just now, bigbird said:

A lot, but there aren't a whole lot out there.

The day Auburn gets a 5 star DB recruit is the day jay jacobs get fired. Both are highly unlikely. No matter really who is the secondary coach. All the 5 star dbs seem to go to the same programs and we are not in that clique.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

The day Auburn gets a 5 star DB recruit is the day jay jacobs get fired. Both are highly unlikely. No matter really who is the secondary coach. All the 5 star dbs seem to go to the same programs and we are not in that clique.

So knowing this, what is the real concern about his recruiting?

Just now, bigbird said:

Because secondary recruiting has always been tough for us so I want the best recruiter possible to up the talent there. If Trob could of stayed he would of got us right in that department. On my bucket list is to live to see the day Auburn gets a 5 star DB. I am not picky safety or corner does not matter to me. With Greg Brown I know that will not happen. But he will not be here long most likely judging by his nomadic ways.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

That he has not been around anywhere long enough to have a track record and that can be used against him. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Because secondary recruiting has always been tough for us so I want the best recruiter possible to up the talent there. If Trob could of stayed he would of got us right in that department. On my bucket list is to live to see the day Auburn gets a 5 star DB. I am not picky safety or corner does not matter to me. With Greg Brown I know that will not happen. But he will not be here long most likely judging by his nomadic ways.

So be piss'd off at trob for being a muschamp wanna be but pizzing on coach b is ridiculous 

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I could easily turn that around and spin it in my argument and say does that not worry you that he is 59 years old and has only been a coach at 1 program that has our resources before now?

No? Seeing as he has coached 4 Thorpe wins. He has longevity. He did get hired by Saban. NFL teams did seem to seek his service. Yeah, I think he has done pretty good in his 59 years of life.

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The point of recruiting is to get the best most talented players possible who fit your program and what your looking for. The fact that people say he can coach em up is great. But wouldn't it be awesome if the talent he was coaching already had a lot to work with to begin with and was not a project?  I will take 4 and 5 star players for him to work with and turn them in to first round draft picks. or at the worst high draft picks. When is the last time we had a secondary player draft in the first round?

Just now, DAG said:

No? Seeing as he has coached 4 Thorpe wins. He has longevity. He did get hired by Saban. NFL teams did seem to seek his service. Yeah, I think he has done pretty good in his 59 years of life.

But your argument is he has never been at a program with our resources besides 1 year at bama in making your case in saying we do not know how he can recruit. So it is not troubling to you he has made only 1 stop at a major program with good recruiting resources?? Maybe he is just not that good of a recruiter. It could be as simple as that.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

But your argument is he has never been at a program with our resources besides 1 year at bama in making your case in saying we do not know how he can recruit. So it is not troubling to you he has made only 1 stop at a major program with good recruiting resources?? Maybe he is just not that good of a recruiter. It could be as simple as that.

No? Why would that trouble me? I want him to produce good DBs. I don't care if they are 2 star or 5 stars. He has shown that he can produce the best DBs. Case closed. If he does that AU, I am happy. That is the point. Just like I don't give a damn, how many top ten recruiting classes we get, if they aren't doing crap on the field.  Clearly you care about that. I don't. I care about producing results.

Just now, DAG said:

No? Why would that trouble me? I want him to produce good DBs. I don't care if they are 2 star or 5 stars. He has shown that he can produce the best DBs. Case closed. If he does that AU, I am happy. That is the point. Just like I don't give a damn, how many top ten recruiting classes we get, if they aren't doing crap on the field. 

why did you not say that to begin with that you do not care what kind of recruiter he is? That would of saved me you and jeff this whole argument and back and forth! It was fun I must admit though! haha

Archived