Greg Brown

auburn4ever

We've always done well in Georgia and do fairly well against bammer, they just can go out and get top players in other states like Cali, Texas, and Virginia. We haven't been shut down like we were this year in Georgia as long as I've been keeping up with recruiting

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read several posters talk about his looks. I don't give a rats-a$$ what he looks like. I just want him to be able to recruit, coach and develop players, not to be a candidate for "The Dating Game."

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't know.... I do know we're going to be out recruited by bammer and Georgia for a few years minimum. The resume is solid. I cringed when I heard Missouri though

I think we all know there aren't a ton of guys who are balls to the wall recruiters AND excellent teachers of a position.  You're usually dealing in tradeoffs...hoping the recruiter gets such amazing talent that it doesn't matter as long as they have average coaching or that he's such a great teacher that even the 3-star kids play above their ratings.

I'm not convinced that our problem the last several years has been the inability to get enough talented DBs signed.

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I've read several posters talk about his looks. I don't give a rats-a$$ what he looks like. I just want him to be able to recruit, coach and develop players, not to be a candidate for "The Dating Game."

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Maybe if they would post a pic of themselves then it would give us all an idea of what the rest of us should shoot for each day. 

6 hours ago, aubaseball said:

We always get out recruited by those two schools.   It comes with the territory.    It would take us hiring the best coach ever to out  recruit those schools.   It's always been that way.    For whatever reason....history, tradition, state name or small town auburn seems at a disadvantage.  The key is to find a coach that can recruit several playmakers that can carry a team and get the team to play as one

Not like this year.  Kirby is a relentless on the trail and I believe he is a better evaluator of talent than his predecessor.   

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

That should be a given for any of us. It was only a first look observation. By the way I thought Lt. Dan was a pretty good guy.

3 hours ago, milehighfan said:
5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Can't find- who were the 3 Thorpe winners he coached? 

TIA

Three of his pupils; Deon Figures (Colorado, 1992), Chris Hudson (Colorado, 1994) and Gerod Holliman (Louisville, 2014) have won the Thorpe Award. Brown is the only coach to have ever coached three players that have won the Thorpe Award. In 2014, Holliman tied an NCAA record with 14 interceptions.

5 minutes ago, Aucater said:

Three of his pupils; Deon Figures (Colorado, 1992), Chris Hudson (Colorado, 1994) and Gerod Holliman (Louisville, 2014) have won the Thorpe Award. Brown is the only coach to have ever coached three players that have won the Thorpe Award. In 2014, Holliman tied an NCAA record with 14 interceptions.

That's a good spread of years and schemes. That's exciting, the more I read and hear about this guy the more I like him.

10 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It’s kind of different because he is older,” senior Aarion Penton said, “but every time he steps in the room and interacts with us, it’s great. You can tell he’s willing to work with us and willing to get our chemistry level together.”

The sentiments sound awfully familiar to our players talking up "grandpa" coach Ellis.

I like that he coached Mizzou to snag 15 interceptions last season.  With Steele scheming to keep the top on the coverage,  maybe a few more picks can flip the field during the game. We could have used some of those game changing picks when our offense was struggling. Georgia game comes to mind.  Maybe we can get a pick six that has eluded our DBs in recent years when it hits them in the hands. 

3 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

That's a good spread of years and schemes. That's exciting, the more I read and hear about this guy the more I like him.

I love the hire.  Auburn will always recruit well.  We've lacked in DB performance for over a decade.  No matter which coach we've had, we've had the talent to have a good secondary. 

In my opinion, the DB coach needs to be a COACH first and foremost.  They are the only players on a defense that are on an "island" alone.  They MUST be coached up and put in a position to succeed.  That position isn't 2 yards beyond the damn 1st down marker on 3rd and 7.  I think this guy understands that...if he didn't, he wouldn't have such a long track record of coaching the same position over and over at some pretty legit places.

Kirby can recruit but if he continues having 7-5 seasons, it will not matter.  I do not think he will be nearly the winner as Richt was. Time will tell soon enough.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The sentiments sound awfully familiar to our players talking up "grandpa" coach Ellis.

They also sound a lot like what kids say about Coach Steele.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

They also sound a lot like what kids say about Coach Steele.

Or Pete Carrol

28 minutes ago, PatBoCamRob said:

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-greg-brown-defensive-backs-coach

Coached 3 Thorpe winners

Credited with high level recruits at spUAT and jetgateland.  

NFL experience.  etc

According to 247Sports, Brown was the primary recruiter for former Alabama defensive linemen Jarran Reed and D.J. Pettway, who played at East Mississippi Community College. Given Auburn’s past experience with recruiting from the fertile Mississippi community college circuit, Brown is a boost there.

Strengthening our East Mississippi Community College pipeline

Fap!!!!

So he is Gene 2.0 as a DB coach?  That's a good thing though. I like me some Thorpe winners lol. Sorry but that's the only name that kept coming to mind. 

I said we need a teacher first and we got it. Let Steele and Twill recruit for DB. Has he ever had a good Safety or only good CB's? We need good Safety play too.

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

We've always done well in Georgia and do fairly well against bammer, they just can go out and get top players in other states like Cali, Texas, and Virginia. We haven't been shut down like we were this year in Georgia as long as I've been keeping up with recruiting

I tend to agree with to some point. However, we did pretty well in Georgia with landing 5 star Brown and 4 star Jackson We will likely get some good solid players out of GA for 2017 I think that Kirby is a great recruiter, but a decent HC at best. Lets see what happens for 2017-2020. I think that Kirby will lose his job thereafter with posting 5 or more loses each season.

I keep reading that this isn't a "wow" hire. I can understand that.  So, who would have been considered a "wow" hire?

Bill Belichick......but he would have to show results fast or he would be run out of town.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I keep reading that this isn't a "wow" hire. I can understand that.  So, who would have been considered a "wow" hire?

4 minutes ago, ausburn said:

Bill Belichick......but he would have to show results fast or he would be run out of town.

Probably was not a "wow" hire out there but posting negative comments about the coaching staff seems to be a favorite sport among Auburn fans lately. 

42 minutes ago, ausburn said:

"Gus better get control of his wardrobe. How can you relate to kids with cutoff sweats?"

Archived