Greg Brown

auburn4ever

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't want anybody who participated in the last two pages of this thread ever say anything to me about getting back or staying on topic ever again

Thanks

Cole

G-Will started it.

1 minute ago, AUMASTERS said:

G-Will started it.

lol your welcome brother!

16 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

I hope he has Tray Mathews taking good angles for once

I hope he has Roberts not getting lost and Matthews having to cover his guy after the ball is in the air

Just now, auburn4ever said:

What kind of defense does Greg Brown run?

Whatever his DC tells him to.

12 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Probably some 1-11 with some 10-2 mixed in, I've heard he's old-school.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I prefer the vaunted 4-4-4

but this one goes to elev

never mind

• 2 weeks later...
On March 19, 2017 at 4:20 PM, auburn4ever said:

What kind of defense does Greg Brown run?

He runs that Les Miles 12th man that no one can see on the field.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, bigbird said:

I hope he has Roberts not getting lost and Matthews having to cover his guy after the ball is in the air

What are the 40 times of each?

Not going to lie I love ol Greg now!!! I was extremely critical about him at first but hes that ol mangy mutt pup your parents brought home from the pound one day. Your like what the heck?! I wanted a golden retriever! Then it really starts to grow on you and you learn to love it. What I am trying to say is I love me some Greg Brown now!! WOOOOOO!!!! War Damn!

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not going to lie I love ol Greg now!!! I was extremely critical about him at first but hes that ol mangy mutt pup your parents brought home from the pound one day. Your like what the heck?! I wanted a golden retriever! Then it really starts to grow on you and you learn to love it. What I am trying to say is I love me some Greg Brown now!! WOOOOOO!!!! War Damn!

I mean the basis of your dislike stemmed from physical appearance.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I mean the basis of your dislike stemmed from physical appearance.

That is the recruiting junkie in me coming out where I base every hire we make from how will it affect us in recruiting. I usually always walk it back and have a open mind eventually.

Doesn't matter really what the coach looks like, if he has a reputation of sending guys to the league recruits will listen.

Now if it's rookie coaches then they'll follow a guy who was great in college. Then if that's not an option they may prefer someone who looks like them

• 3 months later...

Drew Lock was among the SEC's leading passers last year, throwing for 3,399 yards and 23 touchdowns for Missouri. The rising junior took a big step forward from his freshman season--and he thanked former defensive backs coach Greg Brown for having an unknowing hand in his development last year.

Lock wasn't aware of who Brown was before the nomadic veteran assistant coach joined Missouri last spring -- despite Brown's pedigree of having coached three Jim Thorpe Award winners. It didn't take long for the Missouri quarterback to learn about Brown and appreciate what he brought to the fold for Missouri last year.

"He brought a lot of knowledge to that position group, obviously," Lock said Wednesday at SEC Media Days in Hoover.

After learning about Brown's resume, one of Missouri's quarterback assistants sat down Brownfor "a long time," according to Lock, and essentially gave the assistant a seminar on defenses and how to read defensive backfields. The assistant then relayed the information to Lock, who used Brown's wealth of knowledge to his advantage during the spring.

"Just to hear about all the different things he knows about the game of football and just how you can make that secondary look so much different but be the same thing, that's a good min in college football," Lock said.

Between Brown's lessons in reading and unmasking secondaries and going up against those defensive backs in practices and scrimmages, Lock said the experience helped him grow as a sophomore last season. He finished the regular season as the SEC's leading passer in yards and second in yards per game (283.3) and yards per completion (14.34).

"The looks he was giving me in practice was unreal," Lock said. "It's something we didn't necessarily play against. He was helping me out and really did not even know it about giving me those things."

How a nomadic coaching career led Greg Brown to Auburn, where he'd like to stay

Lock wasn't the only Missouri player to credit Brown for helping with their on-field growth. Wide receiver J'mon Moore had plenty of experience going head-to-head with Brown's defensive backs in practice last year, when he was the SEC's leading receiver in yards per game and finished second in the conference with 1,012 receiving yards to go along with eight touchdowns.

"Coach Brown is a great guy," Moore said. "He knows what he's talking about, so going against the things he was teaching the DBs, it just helped me as a receiver face some different kinds of techniques and get off certain things."

Brown left Missouri in January after one season to become Auburn's defensive backs coach, where he inherits an experienced secondary that should be the strength of Auburn's defense this fall.

Brown and Auburn's first SEC game this season is on the road against Missouri on Sept. 23.

"I really like Coach Brown," Missouri linebacker Eric Beisel said. "I thought he was very businesslike and very professional. I thought he put the right players on the field and put us in position to win a lot of games last year. It came down to execution, but no hard feelings toward him for leaving. We just got to take care of business on our side.

"We'll run into him this year so, you know, may the best man win."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/07/missouri_quarterback_drew_lock.html

Archived