auburn4ever

Greg Brown

438 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, imaolgatiger said:

No...I think we should be undefeated EVERY Year!

well at least your sarcastic demeanor is closer to what everyone should DEMAND for Auburn athletics than your real self. 10 win season is what we should seek every year. 10-3 with a bowl win? A ok by me.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

what about you? people listen when you say something.

I'm not sure. Right now, it seems there are a couple levels of coaches. The sure things like Urban, Harbough, Saban, Shaw, Stoops, Jimbo, Dabo and a few others.  Then there is the rest of the pack and none of them have really separated themselves from one another. Gus falls into this group. I don't see one that is head and shoulders better than him that is obtainable. I would rather have continuity than bet on an unsure thing.

However if I had to choose, I might say James Franklin, Paul Cryst, or Mike Riley.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure. Right now, it seems there are a couple levels of coaches. The sure things like Urban, Harbough, Saban, Shaw, Stoops, Jimbo, Dabo and a few others.  Then there is the rest of the pack and none of them have really separated themselves from one another. Gus falls into this group. I don't see one that is head and shoulders better than him that is obtainable. I would rather have continuity than bet on an unsure thing.

However if I had to choose, I might say James Franklin, Paul Cryst, or Mike Riley.

If you expand it to coaches who are at good jobs I would want Mike Gundy which again he would most likely not come since he is a alumni and former player there I just love what he has done at ok st. They have a phil knight like figure basically single handidly supporting all their new facilities for football though. Thats something we do not have. I was just choosing from the up and comers. I love your list also. home run hire if we could somehow get one of those guys. So many people are afraid to jump. Burt from wiscy to arkansas was one of the biggest splash hires on paper with his resume for a sec opening in the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure. Right now, it seems there are a couple levels of coaches. The sure things like Urban, Harbough, Saban, Shaw, Stoops, Jimbo, Dabo and a few others.  Then there is the rest of the pack and none of them have really separated themselves from one another. Gus falls into this group. I don't see one that is head and shoulders better than him that is obtainable. I would rather have continuity than bet on an unsure thing.

However if I had to choose, I might say James Franklin, Paul Cryst, or Mike Riley.

This is what drives me crazy about the "fire Gus" crowd. Herman and Fleck may turn out great, they could just as easily be the next Turner Gill. I'll take continuity with a good coach. That said, Gus has to make the bama game be the sec semifinal next year or I too will look for a change. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

This is what drives me crazy about the "fire Gus" crowd. Herman and Fleck may turn out great, they could just as easily be the next Turner Gill. I'll take continuity with a good coach. That said, Gus has to make the bama game be the sec semifinal next year or I too will look for a change. 

Completely agree, he has to get out of his own way.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gravejd said:

Yup, i am suggesting that old white guys have more difficulty recruiting players. I know that isn't PC and all so apologies to those that take offense :)

<glances at golf>

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Completely agree, he has to get out of his own way.

I think he can be a top level coach. I believe he needs to relinquish play calling duties completely. Allow his coaches to coach and serve as more of a CEO. He has made good hires defensively and allowed those guys to do their thing, time he did the same on O. Rhett might even be a good OC of left alone to do his own thing, I dont believe weve truly seen that yet. Like you said get out of his own way. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I could had a say on who would be Auburn's next football coach, I'd strongly vote for James Franklin, David Shaw of Stanford or Pete Carroll.

Edited by auburn4ever
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If I could had a say on who would be Auburn's next football coach, I'd strongly vote for James Franklin, David Shaw of Stanford or Pete Carroll.

Your not asking for much 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If I could had a say on who would be Auburn's next football coach, I'd strongly vote for James Franklin, David Shaw of Stanford or Pete Carroll.

If I was on the committee I'd talk to John Harbaugh.  I think he's a better coach than Jim---and he's not a booger-eating, meathead goon.  The natives are getting restless in Bmore, so he might be a relatively easy get.  

I think Teryl Austin, if he doesn't get an NFL job soon, might jump back to college.  

He's got some work to do, but I'd keep an eye on Scott Frost at UCF.  

WDE!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

well at least your sarcastic demeanor is closer to what everyone should DEMAND for Auburn athletics than your real self. 10 win season is what we should seek every year. 10-3 with a bowl win? A ok by me.

I don't know why you're arguing with this dude

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know why you're arguing with this dude

I guess I like to torture myself........ haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

And it amazes me that a lot of our fan base is too stupid to realize this! Look what shorty did at LSU. Several on this board would have had him on the hot seat after his 3rd season. He was 8-4, 10-3, 8-4, 13-1 and 9-3 He is the perfect fit for the cheating machine in turd town. We are not on a level playing field and will probably never be.

Agree remember he has only 1 undefeated season not counting this year because it is not done yet, same as Auburn in the same time frame. Just like this year the SEC was the worst that I have seen it top to bottom in 50 years, so they sailed through it without much work. Remember since Meyers left Florida there has been no challenger from the East, so if you win the west you make the game, why do you think the other conferences fuss. In 2012 there was no excuse for letting them rematch a team that had already beat them on their own field head to head. And even with all that crap being allowed for them in the same span they have been to 5 playoffs and AU has been to two. And those two are as good as any other team during that span. Make no doubt if you can beat 120 teams 5 out of 10 years then you are cheating somewhere. Bear did it and Nick is doing it. There time will come but for those toothless uat fans they won't care if they got caught cheating or not heck they count  championships when the finished 20th in the polls.  Want to talk great teams the best ever was AU in 1900 and 1901. They went 8 -0 in 1900 and 8-0-1 in 1901 with a tie. Gave up like 16 points I think in 1901. But we don't count those years as Championships. WDE

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

This is what drives me crazy about the "fire Gus" crowd. Herman and Fleck may turn out great, they could just as easily be the next Turner Gill. I'll take continuity with a good coach. That said, Gus has to make the bama game be the sec semifinal next year or I too will look for a change. 

I'm on the "I want to fire Gus but don't trust Jacobs to make the hire and the pickings out there are slim"

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, selias said:

I'm on the "I want to fire Gus but don't trust Jacobs to make the hire and the pickings out there are slim"

I AINT PAYING YOU A DIME BROTHER!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Probably himself.

at least we can agree on #notgus right?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

so you accept mediocrity??? the talent is there and gus is not utilizing it. You think 8-5 is something that should be acceptable? Long way from 2013 friend.

I don't think the talent is there...at least not completely. Quality and talented depth was an issue this past season. When Sean, Cox, and KAM went down...who was there to replace them and keep the offense going....no one. JF III has work to do as a passer, JJ has been gone mentally since last season, no backup is there to do what Cox does, all RBS had major injuries this season. This is where the losses of Roc, Peyton, and Jovon came back to bite us....the offense just did not have the 2nd tier talent and depth needed to keep going in the SEC. With the early two losses aside AU was an UGA victory away from competing for the SEC west title. Even with the cluster you know what from the month of September. It has to be built and built the right way. It appears QB depth should be better with JS, SW and Woody...RB/HB still has me a bit concerned though....and 8-5 is not acceptable but not a reason to fire up my pitchfork yet.....particularly looking at the injuries and the time of the year they occurred.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PoetTiger said:

I don't think the talent is there...at least not completely. Quality and talented depth was an issue this past season. When Sean, Cox, and KAM went down...who was there to replace them and keep the offense going....no one. JF III has work to do as a passer, JJ has been gone mentally since last season, no backup is there to do what Cox does, all RBS had major injuries this season. This is where the losses of Roc, Peyton, and Jovon came back to bite us....the offense just did not have the 2nd tier talent and depth needed to keep going in the SEC. With the early two losses aside AU was an UGA victory away from competing for the SEC west title. Even with the cluster you know what from the month of September. It has to be built and built the right way. It appears QB depth should be better with JS, SW and Woody...RB/HB still has me a bit concerned though....and 8-5 is not acceptable but not a reason to fire up my pitchfork yet.....particularly looking at the injuries and the time of the year they occurred.

To me that is all on gus as well. lack of evaluation in recruiting and lack of player development. We always do recruit well but we lack each year in some key positions.  Linebacker was a YUGE issue till Twill came on the scene as a position coach. We have swung and missed on OT for years and are barely hanging on to ashley. We need him so bad. Some very important positions on the football field. Qb recruiting and the lack thereof and qb development is what has killed gus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How bout that clemson defense they say you can't have both (good O and D) but dabo proving that wrong. We need a DC with fire like Brent Venables or a WM type. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'll agree us (or anybody for that matter) doing what bama has done the last 10 years should not be expected. But it should be possible for AU to have 2-3 10 win seasons in a row. No one is asking for championships every year. We just want more good years than bad/average years. Over the last 15ish year good years have been few and far between. But when they are good they are really good!

Only once in our history have we had two 10-win seasons in a row. that was 1988 and 1989. With the schedule expanded to 12 games it becomes easier to do, but what you seek is unprecedented for Auburn.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

How bout that clemson defense they say you can't have both (good O and D) but dabo proving that wrong. We need a DC with fire like Brent Venables or a WM type. 

Venables has been one of my favorite DC's  for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Only once in our history have we had two 10-win seasons in a row. that was 1988 and 1989. With the schedule expanded to 12 games it becomes easier to do, but what you seek is unprecedented for Auburn.

Oh i realize AU has never been able to be a consistent power in football. That is the step we have to take to be considered a top tier program. I think AU has the resources and backing to be a top tier football program. We were on the cusp with Tubberville, if he could have ever found an OC that was good and wanted to stick around he would have got us there. And while tubberville is a solid coach he will not go down as one of the sports greats. So i fully believe the right coach can win consistently at AU. I just don't think we have found that coach yet. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure. Right now, it seems there are a couple levels of coaches. The sure things like Urban, Harbough, Saban, Shaw, Stoops, Jimbo, Dabo and a few others.  

I heard in a few podcasts (ESPN Championship Drive was one, I forget the other) that Florida State fans are saying that Jimbo was only good because of Winston.  That without him, has not lived up to anything.  He has had some disappointing seasons without Winston, even with Cook at RB.  I personally think that he would have the same record we had the past few seasons if his team played in the SEC just looking what we have to go through.  ACC is slowly getting there though.  I think like with Gus, next season will really show us what they are made of with a lot of deep talent and a good dual-threat QB.  Gus' missing piece has been a quarterback, and now he has it.  Vegas has our odds at 30-1 (11th) to win the National Championship next year.

Edited by abw0004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Members Online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.