Greg Brown

auburn4ever

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

At the same time, if he doesn't learn to protect the ball, we'd have turnovers in the worst places when he doesn't find a crease.  Based on both his juco film and what we saw this year, "high and tight" aren't in his vocabulary.

This is also true. But I choose to look at positive aspect of big returns, good field position, and possible touchdowns vs the negative of a lost fumble. Putting pressure on the enemy.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on the subject, I completely forgot to mention a fact that Brown's secondary in 2016 with Missouri led the SEC in interceptions with 15.  If he can do that with Missouri, he can definately help us.

It will also help in recruiting with him being able to say "I coached in the NFL.  I developed 3 Jim Thorpe Award winners.  I can develop you to be ready for the NFL so you can support your family back home."

I am excited for him.  

15 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Back on the subject, I completely forgot to mention a fact that Brown's secondary in 2016 with Missouri led the SEC in interceptions with 15.  If he can do that with Missouri, he can definately help us.

It will also help in recruiting with him being able to say "I coached in the NFL.  I developed 3 Jim Thorpe Award winners.  I can develop you to be ready for the NFL so you can support your family back home."

I am excited for him.  

Might not be a splash hire but if we can maintain our good positioning that Coach Crime taught our guys and couple that with actual picks?? Could be a massive game changer for us. We have dropped too many potential game changing pick 6s over the last 2 seasons

On 1/10/2017 at 10:27 PM, Mikey said:

Yep, they are really good. bammer only scored one more point on them than they scored on Steele's Auburn defense. So Steele is one point better, but Venables is close. Of course, bammer scored 45 on Venables last year so...

Steele would of got 70 put on him as a clemson dc in bowl game. 

7 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Steele would of got 70 put on him as a clemson dc in bowl game. 

You mean because bama scored fewer points against Auburn's D this year than Clemson's, and would have scored even fewer if the O had given the D even a little time to rest?

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You mean because bama scored fewer points against Auburn's D this year than Clemson's, and would have scored even fewer if the O had given the D even a little time to rest?

I think if we had a WM or BV with the leadership of CL, MA, JH, and TM that we would have done even better. But yes having an offense would help. The offense doesn't get a pass, I agree.

Brown isn't one to hang around.  It's interesting that he would work east of the Rockies then go on his next job to west of the Rockies, then back and forth for the past 3+ decades.  Since 2013 he's stayed east of the Rockies and in the southeast, the longest stretch on either side of the Rockies.  Kinda weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Brown_(American_football_coach)

5 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Brown isn't one to hang around.  It's interesting that he would work east of the Rockies then go on his next job to west of the Rockies, then back and forth for the past 3+ decades.  Since 2013 he's stayed east of the Rockies and in the southeast, the longest stretch on either side of the Rockies.  Kinda weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Brown_(American_football_coach)

Wow. 35 year career. One time at a place 6 years, and then a few 3 year stops.  Other than that...

SEVEN 1 year stops and

EIGHT 2 year stops.

The guy has had FIFTEEN jobs that didn't last longer than 2 years.  I don't think I've ever seen a guy with that kind of track record.   Not real sure what to make of it. 

10 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

The guy has had FIFTEEN jobs that didn't last longer than 2 years.  I don't think I've ever seen a guy with that kind of track record.   Not real sure what to make of it. 

For me personally to try and assess it, my first question would be how many was he fired from and how many did he leave on his own. My second question would be how many times did he get laid off, so to speak, when the head coach or DC above him got fired. And I'm not even close to being willing to do the research to answer either of those questions for myself, so I'll probably just remain in the dark and hope for the best :) 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

For me personally to try and assess it, my first question would be how many was he fired from and how many did he leave on his own. My second question would be how many times did he get laid off, so to speak, when the head coach or DC above him got fired. And I'm not even close to being willing to do the research to answer either of those questions for myself, so I'll probably just remain in the dark and hope for the best :) 

Agreed. :laugh:  if it was 4 or 5 jobs I may have time to look in to it.  20 jobs is over my limit. I'm just gonna hope he is either (1)good or (2) it won't matter cause Gus gets fired. Either at this point are good with me (I'd prefer Gus to suddenly become the best coach in the history of the game but getting fired is more realistic ATM)

7 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

This article gives some insight into Greg Brown, his relationship to players and his coaching abilities.

http://www.denverpost.com/2011/08/13/cu-buffaloes-new-defensive-coordinator-familiar-with-flatirons/

Thanks for posting. Possibly telling that 2 NFL teams hired him twice each, and Colorado hired him 3 times, with him coming in the third time at a position higher up than the one he left at. 

14 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

May I ask what impressed you, as a DB coach.

Forgive my intrusion into the conversation, but

the phrase "birds of a feather" presents itself.

14 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

May I ask what impressed you, as a DB coach.

The encouragement, the emphasis on positioning, the constant teaching through the drill, the explanation of not just the how but why they're doing a drill a particular way, and the attention to detail.

10 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

And his saying be honest 

Yes, I liked when he said they can handle it, just be honest with them. That was big.

@fredst come on fredst! you got to admit I was spot on with at least him looking like a goober comment. I MEAN LOOK AT THIS GEM! lol I have no idea I will admit on how he will turn out to be as a coach for us though. On the other hand Peters mom is a looker!!!!

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

@fredst come on fredst! you got to admit I was spot on with at least him looking like a goober comment. I MEAN LOOK AT THIS GEM! lol I have no idea I will admit on how he will turn out to be as a coach for us though. On the other hand Peters mom is a looker!!!!

He looks stoned out of his mind. Maybe he picked up a few habits in Colorado. ?

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dude, I'm with you! Almost like we have Carrot Top pre-steroid,post-haircut on staff, lol! But, I think the guy can coach, hoping he can -cruit! I agree, we could use another stud recruiter to follow in the steps of DC/WM.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wow ? at that pic.

Nothing else needs to be said.

How did the visit go with Devon Hunter last night? I could care less what he looks like as long as he can coach & recruit (and I've read some great things on his coaching). And yes Jordyn Peter's mother is a looker.

Archived