Greg Brown

auburn4ever

9 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Video of Brown mic'd up while at Missouri

Cool, calm and collective. Plus all about technique...I love it.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what I saw in the video.  I would want to play for a coach like that.  

18 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Video of Brown mic'd up while at Missouri

Yeah, we're picking at that pic with Peters but anybody that has reservations about Brown needs to watch that short video. He's gonna be a great addition to the staff. And, I can't believe that positive energy won't translate to the recruiting trail but I guess time will tell.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Cool, calm and collective. Plus all about technique...I love it.

Ditto...based on that small clip he knows how to teach the position in all phases. Hopefully everyone takes a look at it...may start changing the perception and they can forget worrying about what he looks like.

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Ditto...based on that small clip he knows how to teach the position in all phases. Hopefully everyone takes a look at it...may start changing the perception and they can forget worrying about what he looks like.

Can he recruit?

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah, we're picking at that pic with Peters but anybody that has reservations about Brown needs to watch that short video. He's gonna be a great addition to the staff. And, I can't believe that positive energy won't translate to the recruiting trail but I guess time will tell.

fredst, only the "skin deep" analysis group are picking at the way Brown looks, those that have a little maturity on them understand why he was chosen as our position coach.  If you go through life deciding people's worth by the way they look, you'll miss out on a lot of talent.

Gwill's sig quotes Coach Clint Myers, I wonder what his first impression was about Clint?

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Not sure but he seems to be a damn good coach.

Recruiting is part of the job of a collegiate  coach. 

If he could recruit and coach, obviously nobody would care about what he looks like.

28 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Can he recruit?

I imagine so, but that is the least of my worries. I love getting touted recruits, but recruiting is marginal on a scale, if the players aren't being coached up to perform.  We had no problems bringing in recruits during Chizik era, but the defense specifically the secondary was God-awful.  Compare that to the Tubs era. We had our blue chip players, but we relied on many progression players as well, who performed pretty dang good.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I imagine so, but that is the least of my worries.

Look at the recruits he brought in on his profile. Two stars and three stars....

His tendency to live with his bags packed can already be used to recruit against him so I'm betting he is and will be a below average recruiter. So even if he can develop players like y'all say he can, I have questions of whether he will even be long enough to develop them whic also leads to questions of what is he going to leave for the new Secondary Coach.

Besides, we compete in the SEC. I will never be comfortable competing with two and three stars. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

We had no problems bringing in recruits during Chizik era, but the defense specifically the secondary was God-awful.

We also had discipline problems among other things that affected the development of those recruits. McNeil x 2 says hello.

45 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

fredst, only the "skin deep" analysis group are picking at the way Brown looks, those that have a little maturity on them understand why he was chosen as our position coach.  If you go through life deciding people's worth by the way they look, you'll miss out on a lot of talent.

Gwill's sig quotes Coach Clint Myers, I wonder what his first impression was about Clint?

All I saw was his 2 national title rings and that he was the best coach we have hired in a major sport.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Look at the recruits he brought in on his profile. Two stars and three stars....

His tendency to live with his bags packed can already be used to recruit against him so I'm betting he is and will be a below average recruiter. So even if he can develop players like y'all say he can, I have questions of whether he will even be long enough to develop them whic also leads to questions of what is he going to leave for the new Secondary Coach.

Besides, we compete in the SEC. I will never be comfortable competing with two and three stars. 

We also had discipline problems among other things that affected the development of those recruits. McNeil x 2 says hello.

Well let's see here, I seriously doubt he had two or three stars at Bama. I am not surprised if he had to contend with two and three stars at the power houses of Arizona , Colorado, Louisville and Mizzouri. I dont know if those places ever consistently bring in 4 and 5 star players . More importantly this guy seems to coach up these two and three stars players better than our coaches with absolute studs. Of course , he is at AU now and I am going to give him the benefit of a doubt of being able to recruit those caliber players now that he is at a school that should be able to sell itself.  He already has proven he has the coaching handle covered. I don't know where you are going with McNeil but I will wave back at our awesome recruiters from the past who decided to offer him a scholarship. Part of coaching is recognizing character and bringing that person on board despite what character flaws they might have knowing they can buy into your philosophy. I don't want a bunch of Ron Zooks running around . I will always take a guy who can coach and decently recruit over a great recruiter who is lacking at the coaching department . 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well let's see here, I seriously doubt he had two or three stars at Bama

I'm asking you to take into account who he brought in. Not who he had to work with. He brought in Pettway( a thug that was already kicked off campus once before) and Jarran Reed ( another second chance problem child). Other than that show me that he is a recruiter.  I see that he brought in a #6 safety before. I guess that's good for a 30 year career? 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

More importantly this guy seems to coach up these two and three stars players better than our coaches with absolute studs.

I think our secondary was just fine this past year even without a bunch of INT's. Secondary will get better if our offense can stay on the field longer. Ellis hasn't been our DC in years and our secondary has been slowly improving ever since he left with coaches not named Greg Brown. I hear Marlon Character has really come on strong during bowl practices and that is a testament to Mcgriff.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

don't know where you are going with McNeil but I will wave back at our awesome recruiters from the past who decided to offer him a scholarship.

You pointed at our highly ranked secondary recruits from the Chizik area, so I pointed out Mike McNeil and Demetruce and showed that development wasn't the the only problem of that era.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

All I saw was his 2 national title rings and that he was the best coach we have hired in a major sport.

Clint has worked out well for Auburn, I hope Brown can do the same.  Thanks for answering the question.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Brown and Clint Myers are not comparable in the slightest. I don't even know where you're going with this 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Brown and Clint Myers are not comparable in the slightest. I don't even know where you're going with this 

I was going with the "skin deep" analysis.  Brown and Clint could both be considered "goobers" by some.  I was interested in his take, he answered.

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm asking you to take into account who he brought in. Not who he had to work with. He brought in Pettway( a thug that was already kicked off campus once before) and Jarran Reed ( another second chance problem child). Other than that show me that he is a recruiter.  I see that he brought in a #6 safety before. I guess that's good for a 30 year career? 

I think our secondary was just fine this past year even without a bunch of INT's. Secondary will get better if our offense can stay on the field longer. Ellis hasn't been our DC in years and our secondary has been slowly improving ever since he left with coaches not named Greg Brown. I hear Marlon Character has really come on strong during bowl practices and that is a testament to Mcgriff.

You pointed at our highly ranked secondary recruits from the Chizik area, so I pointed out Mike McNeil and Demetruce and showed that development wasn't the the only problem of that era.

Why should I prove that he is a,recruiter ? I have specifically said I would take a great coach over a great recruiter . IMO, AU should be able to recruit itself, therefore I will give him the benefit doubt that if he is doing his job coaching up our players, the AU tag and on field performance would be enough to sway these high caliber players 

Yes, the start of muschamp has left residual effects where our players have become more competent defenders. Maybe , just maybe with Greg Brown at helm we can move from competent to the very best.

Yes discipline plays a part in development. Again, this falls under the branch of coaching. Who cares if you can recruit well, if the guys you recruit A). Aren't being developed B). Can't stay out of trouble to even be eligible to play

34 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I was going with the "skin deep" analysis.  Brown and Clint could both be considered "goobers" by some.  I was interested in his take, he answered.

When one has the resume that Clint has, it doesn't matter what the coach looks like. He could look like the procreation of Sasquatch and Bigfoot and we'd still offer the job.

He also coaches women and he has to use completely different recruiting strategies to reach his recruits. So his old age and wisdom might comfort the girls like  a wise grandfatherly figure. 

As for Brown, he may have four Thorpe award winners in his long, journeyman, career, but he doesn't have the resume or the recruiting history of Myers. If he did, he'd already be at an elite program not at Missouri.

Brown's looks is nothing more than a joke on here though. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why should I prove that he is a,recruiter ? I have specifically said I would take a great coach over a great recruiter.

They're not mutually exclusive options. I'll take both. Travaris Robinson was the best of both worlds at one point for us. We can still develop and recruit well. It's not like you have to sacrifice one for the other. 

Mcgriff was not great at either but he was decent at both. Losing him was big because we were already going through a recruiting funk.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes discipline plays a part in development. Again, this falls under the branch of coaching. Who cares if you can recruit well, if the guys you recruit A). Aren't being developed B). Can't stay out of trouble to even be eligible to play

I largely agree with this. Still think stability plays a large role in the bigger picture though and the lack of stability in Brown's resume is startling and will provide negative recruitment fodder for opposing teams. I'm getting tired of the one and done hires, so forgive me for not warmly embracing the hire.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

When one has the resume that Clint has, it doesn't matter what what the coach looks like. He could look like the procreation of Sasquatch and Bigfoot and we'd still offer the job.

He also coaches women and he has to use completely different recruiting strategies to reach his recruits. So his old age and wisdom might comfort the girls like  a wise grandfatherly figure. 

As for Brown, he may have four Thorpe award winners in his long, journeyman, career, but he doesn't have the resume or the recruiting history of Myers. If he did, he'd already be at an elite program not at Missouri.

Brown's looks is nothing more than a joke on here though

The bolded part is the whole point.  Anybody that judges a coach on his looks show the level of maturity of a teenager.  I asked Gwill the question to find out his level of hypocrisy and he answered.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Anybody that judges a coach on his looks show the level of maturity of a teenager.

Nobody is. That's the point. It's a joke because you're going to have some crazy looking old geezer trying to recruit DBs in the ATL and south Florida. And that's where the joke is. Has nothing to do with the football field. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nobody is. That's the point. It's a joke because you're going to have some crazy looking old geezer trying to recruit DBs in the ATL and south Florida. And that's where the joke is. Has nothing to do with the football field. 

You're judging his recruiting, which is part of his coaching job, on his looks.  Amazing.  

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

They're not mutually exclusive options. I'll take both. Travaris Robinson was the best of both worlds at one point for us. We can still develop and recruit well. It's not like you have to sacrifice one for the other. 

Mcgriff was not great at either but he was decent at both. Losing him was big because we were already going through a recruiting funk.

I largely agree with this. Still think stability plays a large role in the bigger picture though and the lack of stability in Brown's resume is startling and will provide negative recruitment fodder for opposing teams. I'm getting tired of the one and done hires, so forgive me for not warmly embracing the hire.

You don't have to sacrifice one for another but realistically how many T-Robs are available out there, willing to leave their perspective school to come to ours?

I would love to find a T-Rob caliber coach. I would love to have Lincoln Riley as our OC, but realistically, how do we poach him?

Nothing to forgive. You are more than welcome to have your opinion on the hire, just like you shouldn't forgive me for giving Brown the benefit of a doubt.

It is what it is.

Archived