i used to love college basketball

tombigbeetiger

Nice comeback by AU despite DP being on crutches....tough game but the guys showed some guts IMO during the last several minutes. 

Harper is a special player...indispensable to that team.

Yes, another disappointing BB season will probably be the outcome.  When does the Softball and Equestrian seasons start?

I've never really gotten excited about auburn basketball, because they are not a basketball school. They don't put the necessary resources toward taking the program to the next level.  Pearl was a great hire for Auburn, but he's not going to turn Auburn into Kentucky.  I've learned to enjoy the little things with Auburn basketball, and the occasional upsets.  If you're expecting anymore than that, you'll be sorely disappointed.

I believe in Bruce. I believe he will get this turned around and get us back to the NCAA tournament consistently. AU will never hire a better basketball coach than Bruce Pearl. If we cannot win big with him we are in deep trouble. He has had to build from basically scratch because barbee left him NOTHING. #WDE

26 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

but now i hate it....i'm so sick of losing hope every damn year................it has to be some kind of voodoo curse

I don't hate it but sadly my expectations  for all the men's major sports is at a near record low. Being in Auburn I still go but I don't get that gut wrenching felling when we lose like I used to. When we can't win at home in the SEC it's not good no matter how you slice it.

i don't have a problem with how they played tonight....it seemed like ole miss hit every 3 that they threw up, and the damned piece s*** ref, the white guy with the bald spot, must have bet on this game....it was obvious that he was looking to call any and every thing against us.....i was hoping bruce would deck him....i hate damn refs that only look at the game through one eye....to be honest, i question the integrity of college officials across the board

8 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i don't have a problem with how they played tonight....it seemed like ole miss hit every 3 that they threw up, and the damned piece s*** ref, the white guy with the bald spot, must have bet on this game....it was obvious that he was looking to call any and every thing against us.....i was hoping bruce would deck him....i hate damn refs that only look at the game through one eye....to be honest, i question the integrity of college officials across the board

college officiating in football and basketball in the sec at least is terrible. When I watch pro football and basketball the drop off to at least our league is staggering so many blown calls and just flat out bad ones. lots of misses.

This one was good, then awful, then good. It was just awful too long. This one hurts the post season chances a lot too. I don't see improvement and I don't see this team getting to the NIT at this point. Young teams take time to gel, and this one is having to go through that process for a second time with the addition of Wiley and suspensions of Brown and Spencer. Those two things coinciding broke all the momentum AU had. The UCONN and OU wins are were a bit of an anomaly now, but both were helped by very bad shooting by the home teams. Now teams are shooting better an Drew away looks ragged. 

Theres time to fix it this year, but it's quickly turning into a season of missed opportunities. Up to Bruce and the staff to fix that. 

We gave up 55 second half points and it came back to bite us in the tail.  Defense, or lack there of, strikes again. 

33 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

You question the integrity of every college official in every sport? 

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

college officiating in football and basketball in the sec at least is terrible. When I watch pro football and basketball the drop off to at least our league is staggering so many blown calls and just flat out bad ones. lots of misses.

Coach Pearl made comment tonight on Auburn's post game show about the inconsistency of the officiating (referring specifically to Saiz).  I hope he doesn't get fined for the comment, but I agree with him.  SEC officiating in both football and basketball plain sucks.  It's amazing how many games are determined by bad calls in this league.

2 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Coach Pearl made comment tonight on Auburn's post game show about the inconsistency of the officiating (referring specifically to Saiz).  I hope he doesn't get fined for the comment, but I agree with him.  SEC officiating in both football and basketball plain sucks.  It's amazing how many games are determined by bad calls in this league.

you would think with how much money the SEC pulls in we would at least have the best of the best college officials.......

With officiating like this we will never get beyond where we've been. They flat out suck!

1 hour ago, WeagleAU said:

It sinks our opportunity at winning games that matter. 

Our AD Jay Jacobs made the statement that if Bruce Pearl could not win games in the new arena, "I will burn this place to the ground",

well  after what I saw tonight does anyone have a match to loan him????

No leadership, no defense, and no SEC wins.........

Bruce Pearl used to be a great coach, then he came to Auburn...sad, sad, sad.....

12 hours ago, Roos said:

Our AD Jay Jacobs made the statement that if Bruce Pearl could not win games in the new arena, "I will burn this place to the ground",

Bruce Pearl used to be a great coach, then he came to Auburn...sad, sad, sad.....

Men's soccer anyone? Considering where we've been for the last decade plus I'll sit back and watch a little longer. Bruce has been good for AU.

13 hours ago, Roos said:

Bruce Pearl is a terrific coach.  Comments like this expose your lack of knowledge of the game and the condition of the program. It's obvious that you haven't been watching games.   Pearl can and will build a winning program here, its just not happening as quickly as some would like.  Patience is absolutely necessary here.  

I am hoping we can keep some of the freshmen around a few years, and not be one and done,  to build veteran leadership in the years to come.  That's what we are missing.  Kids in the system for a few years to bridge the gap.  We have just had so much turnover on the roster, and it makes it tough running the conference gauntlet.  We are going to have to steal a couple of wins in the next few games in hopes we do not get too far in a hole. 

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I believe in Bruce. I believe he will get this turned around and get us back to the NCAA tournament consistently. AU will never hire a better basketball coach than Bruce Pearl. If we cannot win big with him we are in deep trouble. He has had to build from basically scratch because barbee left him NOTHING. #WDE

I tried to tell people that Auburn's BB program was allowed to fall so far down into the abyss that it would tale at least 5 years for Bruce to fix it. Most people believed that all it took was 1-2 years. So the unrealistic expectations set in and now everybody is mad because a rebuilding program isn't winning big with every game. It's going to take time to get AU  BB rolling. Being supportive of Bruce and the team will help that process a lot. I was distrustful of Bruce at first because of his history but I do think Auburn BB is in good hands now and I have grown to really like the guy. I believe he can be successful but it will not be the quick turnaround that impatient fans want. The program was literally in ruins and that is the truth. Bruce has made great progress and it will only keep getting better.

28 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I am hoping we can keep some of the freshmen around a few years, and not be one and done,  to build veteran leadership in the years to come.  That's what we are missing.  Kids in the system for a few years to bridge the gap.  We have just had so much turnover on the roster, and it makes it tough running the conference gauntlet.  We are going to have to steal a couple of wins in the next few games in hopes we do not get too far in a hole. 

I can't see how anyone watching this team thinks any of them could be one and done as far as the NBA concerned...nobody is really big enough, fast enough or can shoot well enough at this point.   Unless they just hate going to school, all of them should be hitting the books and planning on a few more years at AU. 

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Bruce Pearl is a terrific coach.  Comments like this expose your lack of knowledge of the game and the condition of the program. It's obvious that you haven't been watching games.   Pearl can and will build a winning program here, its just not happening as quickly as some would like.  Patience is absolutely necessary here.  

that's exactly right. We had NO team other than Harrell and no depth. He was not allowed to recruit so he came in August to start to coach this team. He hasn't had even 3 full years to recruit or mold a team. He now is trying to win with 4 Freshmen and 2 5th transfers. Do you think Lang is a starter? He should be coming off the bench.

This is the SEC, so to expect them to win consistently early is asking more than you know about basketball. And for those who say the SEC is down? Pearl said last year yes, this year the SEC is much better.

Archived