Clemson $2 Bill Tradition

abw0004

Good morning all.  I was speaking with a client of mine who is sending this daughter and husband to the game tonight (Clemson graduates).  He proceeded to tell me a tradition Clemson fans have that I was unaware of that I thought was really cool.  Clemson fans that travel to bowl games bring $2 bills to spend in the respected city (Tampa this year).  These bills have the orange Tiger Paw stamped on them.  This helps indicate how much Clemson fans spend in the local economy and helps encourage re-invites to bowl games in the future.  That seems like a tradition that would also fit well for Auburn, and I would not feel bad at all copying this from them since almost everything they do is a copy of us.

http://wspa.com/2017/01/04/the-story-behind-2-bills-and-clemson-football-fans/

That is a federal offense and defaces American currency .  Who cares how much money they spend.   If fans show for their respective teams, everyone will know without this lame tradition 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Good morning all.  I was speaking with a client of mine who is sending this daughter and husband to the game tonight (Clemson graduates).  He proceeded to tell me a tradition Clemson fans have that I was unaware of that I thought was really cool.  Clemson fans that travel to bowl games bring $2 bills to spend in the respected city (Tampa this year).  These bills have the orange Tiger Paw stamped on them.  This helps indicate how much Clemson fans spend in the local economy and helps encourage re-invites to bowl games in the future.  That seems like a tradition that would also fit well for Auburn, and I would not feel bad at all copying this from them since almost everything they do is a copy of us.

http://wspa.com/2017/01/04/the-story-behind-2-bills-and-clemson-football-fans/

Except $2 bills have become so rare that I actually had a friend arrested for using one (I'm not kidding), because the people working at the restaurant insisted it was counterfeit, and they got all the way to the police station before they encountered someone who wasn't too uneducated to know it was legit.

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

If fans show for their respective teams, everyone will know without this lame tradition 

Truth. Everyone knows that Auburn travels well.

10 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

That is a federal offense and defaces American currency .  Who cares how much money they spend.   If fans show for their respective teams, everyone will know without this lame tradition 

That is not a federal offense.  Completely legal.

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Except $2 bills have become so rare that I actually had a friend arrested for using one (I'm not kidding), because the people working at the restaurant insisted it was counterfeit, and they got all the way to the police station before they encountered someone who wasn't too uneducated to know it was legit.

We could alter the tradition, somewhat, and use a $3?

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is not a federal offense.  Completely legal.

I agree. It appears the code is more interested in not rendering the bill useless; and clemson's stamp is transparent. It would be like arresting a mechanic for getting grease on a dollar bill. 

BUT!  I don't like this.  Jefferson is a favorite of mine.  The bills are rare.  Stamping them is inappropriate.

Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. 

Visit www.secretservice.gov for additional information.

IMO this idea is totally bush league.  Probably popular several decades ago, but of no use in today's electronic world.  Everybody pays with credit cards now.  Oh, this should be in the rivals forum.

31 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Certainly no personal knowledge on my part, but

“Police Involved After Student Tries To Buy Lunch With $2 Bill”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2016/05/04/police-called-after-student-tries-to-buy-lunch-with-2-bill/#1503c329cde8

20 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Certainly no personal knowledge on my part, but

“Police Involved After Student Tries To Buy Lunch With $2 Bill”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2016/05/04/police-called-after-student-tries-to-buy-lunch-with-2-bill/#1503c329cde8

I guess the stupidity is rampant... At least that kid didn't end up in booking before a sane person came along.

29 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

IMO this idea is totally bush league.  Probably popular several decades ago, but of no use in today's electronic world.  Everybody pays with credit cards now.  Oh, this should be in the rivals forum.

"bush league" - awesome!

Growing up a Clemson Tiger and going to games all over the country I can tell you that this tradition began somewhere in the mid to late 70s when programs that showed  positive economic impact around the bowl games were harder to track. I still have a few in my safe.....

I spent in excess of $2,000 traveling to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl this year, and none of those were $2 bills.  How 'bout we start a tradition where the coach pays us back when he and his staff don't travel to the bowl game?  There's a tradition I'd like to see started this week.

Serious question...

If they wanted to track economic impact, why not stamp all their dollar bills?

13 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Abw0004, you are completely wrong.   It's illegal!  You may not get charged but it is illegal.    

http://www.stampstampede.org/about-stamping/legal/

Many people assume that it’s illegal to stamp or write on paper currency, but they’re wrong! There are three things that you CANNOT do to paper currency:

1) You CANNOT change the denomination — for example, you cannot add to zeros to a one dollar bill and pretend that it’s a one hundred dollar bill. That’s illegal.

2) You CANNOT burn, shred, or destroy currency, rendering it unfit for circulation.

3) You CANNOT advertise a business on paper currency. For example, if you own a Bagel shop, you cannot stamp “Eat at Joe’s Bagel’s” on a dollar.

Otherwise, as long as the money can still be used, it's perfectly legal... silly, but legal.

Archived