Kam Martin (Merged)

aubiefifty

al.com

The 1 area running back Kam Martin needs to improve on this offseason for Auburn

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Kam Martin wasn't originally supposed to be part of Auburn's plans for 2016, but the former Baylor transfer made the most of his freshman season on the Plains. On Friday, the speedy running back had a bit of foreshadowing for 2017.

Martin took to Twitter to express his gratitude for what he accomplished this season as part of Auburn's SEC-leading rushing attack -- and some confidence in things to come.

"My time coming," Martin posted at the end of his tweet, which highlighted his accomplishments as a freshman.

Martin, a 5-foot-10, 177-pound running back, finished the year with 320 rushing yards and three touchdowns to go along with 52 yards receiving while playing a supporting role in Auburn's backfield. A late addition to Auburn's 2016 recruiting class, Martin joined the Tigers at the end of June after he was granted a full release from his National Letter of Intent in the wake of the widespread sexual assault scandal that engulfed Baylor's football program and resulted in the firing of then-head coach Art Briles.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn believed Martin would contribute as a freshman and help fill the Tigers' need for speed in the backfield following the offseason transfer of Roc Thomas, who left the team to enroll at Jacksonville State.

Martin appeared in 10 games as a freshman, including a career-best, 176-yard, two-touchdown effort against Alabama A&M, but did not see the field in either of Auburn's final two games: losses to Alabama in the Iron Bowl and to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

"He's just fast," fellow running back Kerryon Johnson said. "Really, though, for him to be so small, he's a good inside-zone runner. He's very patient and when he sees a hole, he's getting through there one way or another."

Martin, a former national record-setting track start in Texas, often displayed his speed and shiftiness in the run game. There's one area Johnson feels Martin needs to improve upon this offseason, however -- especially if he wants to have a bigger role on offense in 2017: his size.

"When we did scrimmages and contact stuff, you could tell just by strength-wise, he's a little behind, but he's going to hit the hole very hard," Johnson said. "He's just got to get bigger. That's all his problem is."

That's understandable for a player who didn't arrive on campus until late in the summer, missing out on most of the offseason workouts. But with a full offseason to train with strength coach Ryan Russell, Martin has an opportunity to add some bulk to his 177-pound frame -- enough to make him a more durable running back option in the SEC without taking away too much from his elite speed.

"Kam has been doing really good," Johnson said. "Bottom line for him is he just needs to get bigger; that's all it is. Once he gets to put on more weight this offseason, he's going to be fine."

I'm very excited about Martins future.  He seems like a natural to me.  He does need a little more on his frame but could easily put 10 lbs of muscle on each year and be around 200ish pounds by his junior year.  

10 pounds this year and he is close to 190 it will make a world of difference. He will still have his speed and more muscle. I am not sure if he can get to 200 pounds on his frame and still keep his speed. I would love to see him added as a Kick and Punt returner if he get to the 190 range with his quickness and acceleration.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I felt awful when I was talking about our depth last week and I totally forgot him...

Perfectly understandable as the coaches also forgot about him in the last two games.

I'm very excited about Martin.  I'm higher on him then I am KJ.  KJ is a gamer and a great spokesman for our football team but he also needs to look for things for him to improve on as well.  I'd say a good skilz ladder drill workout could do his feet wonders.  

KJ is the best back we have IMO. Martin could be good if they give him a chance in the right situations....if they do him like they did truitt he'll have the same results as him.....a speed sweep when everybody knows when he comes in it's going to be a speed sweep isn't going to get him yards. I don't care how much weight he puts on.

But the thing that can help these guys the most is an actual passing game, somebody who can stretch the field

14 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Perfectly understandable as the coaches also forgot about him in the last two games.

I thought he and JF3 made a pretty good combo with the read. But you're right another talented player sitting on the bench. 

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

KJ is the best back we have IMO. Martin could be good if they give him a chance in the right situations....if they do him like they did truitt he'll have the same results as him.....a speed sweep when everybody knows when he comes in it's going to be a speed sweep isn't going to get him yards. I don't care how much weight he puts on.

But the thing that can help these guys the most is an actual passing game, somebody who can stretch the field

We have so many guys that can make plays in open space. We never give them a chance to do so beyond the 2 yard WR screen pass and then declare they're not that good at WR b/c they can't block. Maybe if we allowed them to get more north and south we'd see better results. Defenses in the SEC are fast sideline to sideline. I'm so over not even trying to stretch the field or use the weapons we have. We have several WRs that are able to exploit defenses but we simply don't tap into it all. 

Pettway is the best rb on the team. This kid does have a bright future. His time will come. 

Gotta love this kid. I think if he could get to about 185-195 lbs with the loin share of it being muscle. This could help him a lot.

perfect for the slot...gives us an alternative to Eli on speed sweep and could be deadly on screens and wheels...BUT we've got to use him for that to happen

On 1/9/2017 at 5:36 PM, cole256 said:

I think KJ is better as a receiver (by a good bit) than KP, obviously more versatile with the wildcat, but idk about the best for this particular system 

On 1/9/2017 at 4:19 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

He needs 18 gravy and biscuits every morning and 2 gallons of chocolate milk...

That's my training regimen. If I could I would show you what its done for me. Or should I say to me.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think KJ is better as a receiver (by a good bit) than KP, obviously more versatile with the wildcat, but idk about the best for this particular system 

I'll agree with the system part because we love the right up the gut and good luck.....But kj is something like bell for the Steelers. He's the most talented back

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'll agree with the system part because we love the right up the gut and good luck.....But kj is something like bell for the Steelers. He's the most talented back

I always high five myself when I agree with Cole on actual football things. 

Auburn fans will always have a preference for a big, bruising RB. Most would've had a distaste for Reggie Bush and would've screamed for Lendale White to get more touches. About the only time I can remember people calling for the "more electric" guy was when they wanted Fannin to take touches from Tate, but I'm guessing that was only because Fannin was about as big as Tate.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Auburn fans will always have a preference for a big, bruising RB. Most would've had a distaste for Reggie Bush and would've screamed for Lendale White to get more touches. About the only time I can remember people calling for the "more electric" guy was when they wanted Fannin to take touches from Tate, but I'm guessing that was only because Fannin was about as big as Tate.

I think, in general, Auburn fans gravitate toward the back that's getting the most yards. People's perception of Kerryon is skewed because he was playing with a bum wheel for most of the season.  If their last impression of him had been the incredible touchdown run against Arkansas State, they would all be bigger fans (except a few folks here would would point out that it was Arkansas State and call him powderpuff or something like that). 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

"Little Train" had a few fans as well.

9 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

"Little Train" had a few fans as well.

True, and still does for sure. 

I moved to the state as a little fella in '82. Moved back out of the state for awhile in '86. Kind of didn't pay attention again until fall '93, my first "quarter" (still on quarters then) at AU. Hard not to pay attention then and since. Anyway, I'm a post-Little Train AU fan, but it seems that folks have always wanted to see the "bruiser" going back to the early 2000s. Of course, it was hard not to want to see more of Brandon Jacobs, and who didn't kinda want to see Ladarious Phillips actually line up in the backfield just once? 

I was the originator of the opinion that I like Martin over KJ...

My reasoning is because of vision and movement within the hole at the line of scrimmage.  KJ is a good back but needs development and it's hard to train vision and inside cutting ability.

However I love that KJ is a part of our program.  He is good enough to get his 10-12 carries a game plus his wildcat duties.  

Archived