Kam Martin (Merged)

aubiefifty

Both KM and KJ were asked to run predominantly between the tackles, not a strength for either of them. And they put up pretty good numbers doing it. I hope next year they are given more space and perimeter runs. 

• 2 months later...

The secret behind Auburn running back Kam Martin's added weight? PB&J sandwiches

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Kam Martin weighed a mere 172 pounds when he arrived at Auburn last summer -- far from the ideal size of a Southeastern Conference running back.

Since enrolling in classes at the end of June, however, Martin has made it his mission to add some bulk to his 5-foot-10 frame. The rising sophomore has added 16 pounds over the last nine months, and he is up to 188 pounds as Auburn enters the final week of spring practices.

So, what has been the key to Martin's steady, and wanted, weight-gain? A childhood staple, no less.

"Braden Smith, he told me I have to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day before I go to bed, so I took that," Martin said.

PB&J sandwiches: a simple concoction about as American as apple pie and a grade-school cafeteria essential has become commonplace among athletes. Last month, ESPN The Magazine published a lengthy feature highlighting how the sandwiches have taken over the NBA and become a "secret addiction" throughout the league.

At its core, the PB&J sandwich fills some key dietary needs for athletes, who are highly active. The sandwiches have high-caloric value, plenty of carbohydrates, fats and protein.

When it comes to Martin, not just any PB&J will do. The speedy Auburn running back, like everyone when it comes to that snack, has his preferences.

"I eat grape jelly," Martin said.

Smith, Auburn's starting right tackle, recommended Martin go with Peter Pan brand peanut butter. Martin heeded that advice, but one very important question remained: Creamy or crunchy peanut butter?

"Creamy," Martin said, matter-of-factly.

While the PB&J sandwiches have helped Martin's plan to pack on some extra pounds, they haven't been solely responsible for his newfound size. Martin credited Auburn's nutritionists, as well as strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell for the work they have done with him since the summer.

It's a very precise science at Auburn, where Martin noted that players wear tracking software during practices to gauge how much activity they have performed, distance they have run and how much weight they lost during the course of the workout.

"We have a nutritionist that tells us what we need to eat, and then we have like GPS's that tell us how much weight we lose at practice, and they'll tell me like, 'Kam, you need to eat three plates at dinner,'" he said. "I'll be like, OK, I have to eat three plates, and I'll eat it just so I can get all the weight that I lost and get it back."

Martin's diet has consisted of chicken, "lots" of potatoes and, of course, plenty of PB&J sandwiches -- including one before bed, as Smith recommended.

They key to it all for Martin has been the fact he hasn't lost a step when it comes to his speed. The former national-record-setting high school track star has not only maintained his top-end speed at his new weight, but he said he feels faster this spring.

Speed has been Martin's biggest asset as a running back. He rushed for 320 yards and three touchdowns on 44 carries last season while averaging 7.27 yards per carry as the Tigers' No. 3 running back behind Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson. Martin also caught two passes for 52 yards in 2016.

'One of the big pieces of the puzzle' for Auburn: Identifying third running back

'One of the big pieces of the puzzle' for Auburn: Identifying third running back

Who will be third in line behind Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson is an open competition at Auburn this off-season.

"He hasn't lost his speed, so that's been a real asset there," Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton said. "He needs to get bigger because the pounding aspect, the protection aspect, that's something that he can improve on. By gaining that weight and keeping his speed I think eventually he can be 195-pound back, which is, I think that'll be good enough in this league."

That's the ultimate goal for Martin ahead of next season as he competes with Malik Miller and walk-on C.J. Tolbert for reps as the third running back in 2017. Martin hopes to add seven more pounds by the end of summer and get up to 195 while also improving on his lateral quickness -- adding shiftiness to his downhill speed in order to make him more elusive in the open field.

Martin said he's in no hurry to add the additional pounds, that they'll come "gradually" this offseason. It is a process, after all -- one that includes ample PB&J sandwiches.

"He's got a great head on his shoulders," Horton said. "He's a hard worker. He's conscientious. He wants to be great. He's very coachable. I think there's a lot of good things ahead for Kam Martin."

54 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't. Never had a bite of one. Just something I can't eat. 

Communist!

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Who doesn't like a good PB&J?

I step it up a notch and add potato chips to my PB&J. Adds a very nice crunch. Love it.

Just now, McLoofus said:

That's a clutch play, too. 

I'd like some clarification as to what kind of PB KMart uses. Crunchy, Extra Crunchy, Smooth? In my mind, its at least crunchy or go home. 

Wonder how much longer we can get away with this. 

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'd like some clarification as to what kind of PB KMart uses. Crunchy, Extra Crunchy, Smooth? In my mind, its at least crunchy or go home. 

Wonder how much longer we can get away with this. 

I like the redirect. And he's a smooth operator. Whichever reporter it was that asked him was doing the Lord's work that day. Grape jelly, btw.

I just want to know who the weirdos around here are who get bananas into the action. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I like the redirect. And he's a smooth operator. Whichever reporter it was that asked him was doing the Lord's work that day. Grape jelly, btw.

I just want to know who the weirdos around here are who get bananas into the action. 

I've been known to from time to time...

16 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I've become more of a PB&Honey guy as of late. 

You should try peanut butter and syrup..Good stuff. I'm a crunchy Peter pan peanut butter and strawberry spread man myself..Braden knows what he's talking about.

21 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't. Never had a bite of one. Just something I can't eat. 

That's fake news!

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

Certainly no expert, but I think I see a pattern developing.

Merging threads seems to bring on Mr. E's periods.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, aubiefifty said:
al.com

The 1 area running back Kam Martin needs to improve on this offseason for Auburn

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Kam Martin wasn't originally supposed to be part of Auburn's plans for 2016, but the former Baylor transfer made the most of his freshman season on the Plains. On Friday, the speedy running back had a bit of foreshadowing for 2017.

Martin took to Twitter to express his gratitude for what he accomplished this season as part of Auburn's SEC-leading rushing attack -- and some confidence in things to come.

"My time coming," Martin posted at the end of his tweet, which highlighted his accomplishments as a freshman.

Martin, a 5-foot-10, 177-pound running back, finished the year with 320 rushing yards and three touchdowns to go along with 52 yards receiving while playing a supporting role in Auburn's backfield. A late addition to Auburn's 2016 recruiting class, Martin joined the Tigers at the end of June after he was granted a full release from his National Letter of Intent in the wake of the widespread sexual assault scandal that engulfed Baylor's football program and resulted in the firing of then-head coach Art Briles.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn believed Martin would contribute as a freshman and help fill the Tigers' need for speed in the backfield following the offseason transfer of Roc Thomas, who left the team to enroll at Jacksonville State.

Martin appeared in 10 games as a freshman, including a career-best, 176-yard, two-touchdown effort against Alabama A&M, but did not see the field in either of Auburn's final two games: losses to Alabama in the Iron Bowl and to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

"He's just fast," fellow running back Kerryon Johnson said. "Really, though, for him to be so small, he's a good inside-zone runner. He's very patient and when he sees a hole, he's getting through there one way or another."

Martin, a former national record-setting track start in Texas, often displayed his speed and shiftiness in the run game. There's one area Johnson feels Martin needs to improve upon this offseason, however -- especially if he wants to have a bigger role on offense in 2017: his size.

"When we did scrimmages and contact stuff, you could tell just by strength-wise, he's a little behind, but he's going to hit the hole very hard," Johnson said. "He's just got to get bigger. That's all his problem is."

That's understandable for a player who didn't arrive on campus until late in the summer, missing out on most of the offseason workouts. But with a full offseason to train with strength coach Ryan Russell, Martin has an opportunity to add some bulk to his 177-pound frame -- enough to make him a more durable running back option in the SEC without taking away too much from his elite speed.

"Kam has been doing really good," Johnson said. "Bottom line for him is he just needs to get bigger; that's all it is. Once he gets to put on more weight this offseason, he's going to be fine."

Never figured out why he wasn't used in the slot as a change-up for our sweep package...

22 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I step it up a notch and add potato chips to my PB&J. Adds a very nice crunch. Love it.

Obviously a distinguished graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Arts Institute.

52 minutes ago, bryanlooney said:

Obviously a distinguished graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Arts Institute.

My Mom, an Epicurean boundary-pusher favored PB & bananas, w./ mayo,

Always the traditionalist, my go-to is Moon Pies & RC.

Archived