Is this a bad time to be an Auburn Football/Basketball fan?

autigersj

Guys,

I am bummed out. At work all I hear is rolll tide from to another. "We will be fine with Sark, he likes to run the ball more". I have a couple of buddy's who are Texas and Tenn fans living in Alabama. We all say, this is worst it has been in our lives (we are relatively young). The gump fandom is at an all time nauseating high. The low football IQ from these people kill me!

From watching the end of this AU football season to seeing the basketball team just not put things together yet is disappointing. There has been alot of Gus/JJ/every QB on roster hate here lately. While I was happy to see the team go to the Sugar Bowl, I think we all know we weren't quite the caliber team to play in that bowl. I think our expectations get out of whack, We were picked last in our division and exceeded that and then it kinda crashed into the ground in awful way. Basketball feels the same way. 

Cmon softball, lets go win a title!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't talk about Auburn football as the 2017 season is already being beat to death and will only open a can of worms, but I would not be as down on Auburn basketball.  It takes time to build up any program.  Bruce inherited a really bad program here and we are slowly headed in the right direction.  For example, this year was the first year we have ever landed 5-star recruits.  You can tell (or at least in the few games I have watched), we are right at the tipping point of being a really good team.  I have never seen our arena (or coliseum) packed out like it has been this year.  Pretty cool to see on tv.  Not there just yet, but soon I believe.  And Wiley will definitely be here next season as part of the rules for mid-season enrollees.  

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I won't talk about Auburn football as the 2017 season is already being beat to death and will only open a can of worms, but I would not be as down on Auburn basketball.  It takes time to build up any program.  Bruce inherited a really bad program here and we are slowly headed in the right direction.  For example, this year was the first year we have ever landed 5-star recruits.  You can tell (or at least in the few games I have watched), we are right at the tipping point of being a really good team.  I have never seen our arena (or coliseum) packed out like it has been this year.  Pretty cool to see on tv.  Not there just yet, but soon I believe.  And Wiley will definitely be here next season as part of the rules for mid-season enrollees.  

Not sure I understand your last sentence.  Wiley is already here.  Are you concerned about him leaving?

Just now, triangletiger said:

Not sure I understand your last sentence.  Wiley is already here.  Are you concerned about him leaving?

College basketball players can declare for the NBA draft after one season as you probably know.  Since Wiley enrolled and started playing for Auburn mid-season as an early enrollee, he cannot declare for the NBA draft after this season.  He has to play next season as well since technically he was supposed to come in August.

Just now, abw0004 said:

College basketball players can declare for the NBA draft after one season as you probably know.  Since Wiley enrolled and started playing for Auburn mid-season as an early enrollee, he cannot declare for the NBA draft after this season.  He has to play next season as well since technically he was supposed to come in August.

Gotcha.  Thanks!

It's never a bad time to be an Auburn fan... you just have to realize that, as a fan of anything, there are times you aren't going to win it all... or even meet expectations (though the football team exceeded expectations, and everyone is still upset). 

I wouldn't throw out the basketball season, yet. This is a young team and Bruce is still teaching them how to play together. He warned everyone before the season that they were a work in progress.

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

Guys,

I am bummed out. At work all I hear is rolll tide from to another. "We will be fine with Sark, he likes to run the ball more". I have a couple of buddy's who are Texas and Tenn fans living in Alabama. We all say, this is worst it has been in our lives (we are relatively young). The gump fandom is at an all time nauseating high. The low football IQ from these people kill me!

From watching the end of this AU football season to seeing the basketball team just not put things together yet is disappointing. There has been alot of Gus/JJ/every QB on roster hate here lately. While I was happy to see the team go to the Sugar Bowl, I think we all know we weren't quite the caliber team to play in that bowl. I think our expectations get out of whack, We were picked last in our division and exceeded that and then it kinda crashed into the ground in awful way. Basketball feels the same way. 

Not trying to flame, but I don't know any other way to say this. Apparently for you it is or you wouldn't be considering it. I'm not an Auburn football or basketball fan. I am an Auburn Tiger with a piece of paper that certifies it. It's obvious that you are young, but try being 1 of the few or the only kid in your 1st thru 9th grade classes that was/is an Auburn fan and hearing not only from students, but your teachers as well. Try going 9 years without a chance of a win and a 35-0 beat down. I would guess that the entire state was probably 85% turds back then. I would exam if you are a front runner or you actually stand for something and I don't just mean about sports. If you are questioning your allegiance due to what other people say, then I suggest you go with whatever is popular. Like Shug told a recruit(not an exact quote) regarding the bear, "you can ride with him or walk with me". The field is and has always been slanted since we started playing them. Do some research on the series and all of the cheating and crap that they have pulled from the beginning. There is a reason that we didn't play them for 20 or so years. I don't base my love for Auburn on any sport and I don't suggest that you do either. 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'll take this over 1990-1992...

I was a freshman in 91... it took me 2 years to get why football was so important at Auburn.

Ten times worse in the mid to late seventies.  You had to live it...stories don't do it justice especially if you were in elementary/high school for most of the time.

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

Guys,

What bothers me most about the updykes is they act as though they had something to do with the success of a team at a school where most of them didn't even attend.

Avery Johnson isn't exactly blazing trails on the west side. 

Alabama, in the course of 30 years, has had the 2 most dominating football coaches who have ever held a clip board.. And that's what defines their lives.

I'll take 8-5 with a few 10+ seasons sprinkled in over being a ROH TAHD every single day. And twice on Saturday.

Prospective is a sign of maturity.

What should I say ? I am 75 years old and I have lived through worse on a number of occasions . This too shall pass. 

35 minutes ago, dilligas said:

What bothers me most about the updykes is they act as though they had something to do with the success of a team at a school where most of them didn't even attend.

TBH, I can't claim any responsibility for success/failure of any school that I have attended.

You can merge this with the perspective thread. I didn't see it when I started this one.

I'm not losing the faith in AU. I will always watch and support but this has been a difficult stretch. I don't know just all of negativity and the board plus being surrounded by the bammers at all times had me needing to vent a bit. This is a conversation that literally just happened: 

Bammer: Hey man, who are you pulling for tonight?

Me: I'm not.

Bammer: I can't believe you aren't going to root for bama. I was pulling for Auburn against FSU.

Ugghh.

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

Not trying to flame, but I don't know any other way to say this. Apparently for you it is or you wouldn't be considering it. I'm not an Auburn football or basketball fan. I am an Auburn Tiger with a piece of paper that certifies it. It's obvious that you are young, but try being 1 of the few or the only kid in your 1st thru 9th grade classes that was/is an Auburn fan and hearing not only from students, but your teachers as well. Try going 9 years without a chance of a win and a 35-0 beat down. I would guess that the entire state was probably 85% turds back then. I would exam if you are a front runner or you actually stand for something and I don't just mean about sports. If you are questioning your allegiance due to what other people say, then I suggest you go with whatever is popular. Like Shug told a recruit(not an exact quote) regarding the bear, "you can ride with him or walk with me". The field is and has always been slanted since we started playing them. Do some research on the series and all of the cheating and crap that they have pulled from the beginning. There is a reason that we didn't play them for 20 or so years. I don't base my love for Auburn on any sport and I don't suggest that you do either. 

Amen and Amen.  That was my life exactly and not only at school at home as well. My oldest brother was an all state QB in the 70s and played for the Bear...

However I will add that we need to do our part.  We need to be filling Jordan-Hare and being loud and rowdy like the days of the 80s and 90s.  Now we wait for the team to do something before we affect the game.  We need to keep filling up the basketball arena to help Bruce sell the program.  To steal and edit from JFK ... it's not what has Auburn done for you but what have you done for Auburn.

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

I don't take offense, my allegiance is not wavering though. In elementary school the school would have everyone pick a side and wear your colors. There was a year I remember where I was 1 of 2 AU fans in my grade... So I know what you mean. 

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

However I will add that we need to do our part.  We need to be filling Jordan-Hare and being loud and rowdy like the days of the 80s and 90s.  Now we wait for the team to do something before we affect the game.  We need to keep filling up the basketball arena to help Bruce sell the program.  To steal and edit from JFK ... it's not what has Auburn done for you but what have you done for Auburn.

Hey I am always making noise and standing up until the people behind me tell me to sit down.  If I still have a voice after the game, I did not do enough.  It was weird going from student seating to season ticket seats. In the student section we were always standing on top of our seats unless it was halftime.  Now, I have learned, season ticket holders like to only stand for third down or if we get a touchdown, which was a bummer.  It is nice having a reserved seat though.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Hey I am always making noise and standing up until the people behind me tell me to sit down.  If I still have a voice after the game, I did not do enough.  It was weird going from student seating to season ticket seats. In the student section we were always standing on top of our seats unless it was halftime.  Now, I have learned, season ticket holders like to only stand for third down or if we get a touchdown, which was a bummer.  It is nice having a reserved seat though.

Unless they are 65 or older don't sit down just keep standing lol

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Ten times worse in the mid to late seventies.  You had to live it...stories don't do it justice especially if you were in elementary/high school for most of the time.

I think it is worse today with the multiple NC that  Bama has won in FB, gymnastics, softball and golf. Plus, their marketing of the 16 NC in football, although only 10-11 are legit, has it in your face 24/7.

It is tough at times being an Auburn alumni and fan, but I wouldn't swap one day  being one as opposed to the Dumbest Fan Base in the Nation compared to Auburn being the Classist Fan Base in the nation.

Just now, PUB78 said:

It is tough at times being an Auburn alumni and fan, but I wouldn't swap one day  being one as opposed to the Dumbest Fan Base in the Nation compared to Auburn being the Classist Fan Base in the nation.

Agreed. I think we are proving this point everyday with the current state of affairs.

Archived