Chip Kelly to Cal?

AU64

Cal dumped Dykes yesterday....got tired of him shopping around for another job back east ...not fully devoted to the job or something like that.....so they decided to let him job hunt full time.

This also seems to have provided the opportunity for them to go after CK.   Good fit for him perhaps....following up on another offensive oriented coach which should be nice for him.

So http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18431508/california-golden-bears-fire-head-coach-sonny-dykes

Pperhaps we will have another game against CK in a couple years ?

What a horrible college football culture there. I lived in the bay area for a few years. No one talks or cares about college football.  They are pro sports fans. Such a sad place to play and coach even though the players will get a good education. 

7 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

What a horrible college football culture there. I lived in the bay area for a few years. No one talks or cares about college football.  They are pro sports fans. Such a sad place to play and coach even though the players will get a good education. 

What's crazy is that they put lots of kids in the league. 

Go to Cal, live in the Bay area, smoke tons of high grade weed (do they even smoke it any more out there, or is it all edible/vaporized?), be a big man on campus but nobody sends you death threats if you drop a pass or miss a kick, have a hippie rivalry with Stanford, get a good education, have a conduit to the NFL if you're good enough... Not a bad plan B if one of the pressure cooker schools doesn't work out. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Go to Cal, live in the Bay area, smoke tons of high grade weed (do they even smoke it any more out there, or is it all edible/vaporized?), be a big man on campus but nobody sends you death threats if you drop a pass or miss a kick, have a hippie rivalry with Stanford, get a good education, have a conduit to the NFL if you're good enough... Not a bad plan B if one of the pressure cooker schools doesn't work out. 

A number of years ago they beat out Alabama and a bunch of ACC schools for a guy named Keenum Allen from Greensboro North Carolina who is now in the NFL . Never could figure why he went way out there but had a great career. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

A number of years ago they beat out Alabama and a bunch of ACC schools for a guy named Keenum Allen from Greensboro North Carolina who is now in the NFL . Never could figure why he went way out there but had a great career. 

Indeed, he did. And was going to be a top 10 NFL WR this season until he got hurt. From San Francisco to San Diego... they must raise 'em smart in Greensboro. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Indeed, he did. And was going to be a top 10 NFL WR this season until he got hurt. From San Francisco to San Diego... they must raise 'em smart in Greensboro. 

He has an interesting story , including the fact that half-brother was also at Cal with him . Went to the same high school that my granddaughter attends . 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Nothing wrong with that

That would be a stupid move by Kelly.  Cal requires like a 3.0 for all their students.  Its harder to conpete there than even vandy if i understood correctly

Reasons Kelly won't take the Cal job...

1.  He would never be the smartest guy in the room at Berkeley.  (He's such an arrogant prick).

2.  Cal would have to be really serious about football.  They're not.

3.  Cal can't afford him, last time i checked they were operating at a $150 Million deficit in 2016,

4,  Kelly is drawing salaries from two different NFL teams and the incestuous relationship that is ESPN/Nike will place him on TV because he's just so charismatic.

5.  College football is beneath him.  

I predict the UC trustees do NOT want to upset university workers, who are currently striking over unfair wages, by breaking the bank to sign Kelly.  They will take the obvious and easy way out and promote Jake Spavital who I believe will be completely underwhelming as a head coach. 

I know no one wants to hear it, but the best fit for Kelly is bama... and you have to wonder if Saban is getting tired of Tuscaloosa. It probably won't happen, but I would not be surprised at all, after all the late season issues, if Saban calls it quits and Kelly comes in as his replacement. It's the only program, outside of Oregon and Texas, that has the level of booster support Kelly is used to, and Kelly is more than happy to play fast and loose with the rules, which is how bama likes it.

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I know no one wants to hear it, but the best fit for Kelly is bama... and you have to wonder if Saban is getting tired of Tuscaloosa. It probably won't happen, but I would not be surprised at all, after all the late season issues, if Saban calls it quits and Kelly comes in as his replacement. It's the only program, outside of Oregon and Texas, that has the level of booster support Kelly is used to, and Kelly is more than happy to play fast and loose with the rules, which is how bama likes it.

IMO saban is chasing history at bama and will leave after he breaks or at least equals bryant's record. Or after the NCAA decides to act. MAYBE he'll have a couple down seasons and crack. I'd be fine with that. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

IMO saban is chasing history at bama and will leave after he breaks or at least equals bryant's record. Or after the NCAA decides to act. MAYBE he'll have a couple down seasons and crack. I'd be fine with that. 

You're probably right. The timing probably isn't right for Saban. I do wonder how he's handling things not going his way right now... from Lane to Cristobal to his QBs all bailing to losing last night. It's been quite some time since he has had to deal with this level of disappointment.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

You're probably right. The timing probably isn't right for Saban. I do wonder how he's handling things not going his way right now... from Lane to Cristobal to his QBs all bailing to losing last night. It's been quite some time since he has had to deal with this level of disappointment.

Good point. I didn't think about the additional drama on top of not winning the game last night. 

This is how Bama's fall begins IMO. The small and tiny cracks will eventually start to get bigger and bigger

Also I will football-cry if Chip Kelly somehow ends up at Bama. I recently said in a thread that Chip Kelly would annihilate with our roster. I don't want to see him benefitting from the Bama recruiting "perks"

On 1/10/2017 at 10:19 AM, lionheartkc said:

Am I wrong for being happy about this?  :wareagle:

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Meet at the Toomer Oaks in twenty minutes. The toilet paper is already bought.

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

If you were, then most of the football watching world would be wrong with you.

Archived