Purifoy's Ankle Status

Hooverwareagle

I'm surprised no one is asking how long Purifoy will be out with his ankle injury?  Maybe I missed the discussion or the team doesn't want to let that  out to the public?  It did not look that bad at first but at the end of the game he was on crutches so I assumed a couple of weeks.

I believe Pearl was asked today in his press conference, and he said he didn't want to comment on it because he believes giving out that info might give opponents an advantage. I'm guessing he will be out 2-3 weeks and probably miss the next 4-5 games. Hopefully, I'm wrong and he's back in a week or so.

We will get coach speak on his ankle. Meaning we will get nothing that means anything as to when he will be able to return.

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We will get coach speak on his ankle. Meaning we will get nothing that means anything as to when he will be able to return.

That's fine with me...."day to day" is the standard answer.... 

The question is, is it just a sprain? If so is it high or low? I'm not sure if @passthebiscuits might have any information to share on the situation but that's likely our best hope.

speaking on experience, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out 4-6 weeks of game time (if it's a bad sprain), to make sure he doesn't reinjure it right away and make the situation worse. PT and light drills until he's 100%. 

Could just be a tweak and he might be 98% already for all I know but I do seem to recall hearing or reading DP exited on crutches (never saw anything that confirmed this) if that's the case, I imagine it's not a "good" sprain as they usually tend to force you to keep using it/putting pressure on it with light ankle sprains.

Bruce Pearl is the man. He was going to give us coach speak and told us why he wouldn't comment.

Why doesn't Gus just be straight up about it? Instead of purely lying. He doesn't have to give us anything but why insult everybody's intelligence in the process?

16 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Per the whispers: Sprain. Low ankle. 2-4 weeks. He's already putting some weight on the ankle, will try some strengthening. I'd expect him to miss somewhere around 3-4 games.

Thanks PTB!

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Thanks PTB!

I guess the question will eventually be...."is a gimpy DP better or worse than no DP at all? "   Sometime soon Bruce will have to make that call.   

52 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I'm going to be pissed if he has to miss the Alabama game!

we need him for that

20 hours ago, Tiger said:

Why doesn't Gus just be straight up about it? Instead of purely lying. He doesn't have to give us anything but why insult everybody's intelligence in the process?

Gus hasn't lied.  If you actually watch his press conferences, he just does not go into detail on anything.  He doesn't need to tell everyone the obvious like Bruce did.  I have no problem with Bruce saying that, but everyone knew why he would not elaborate.  If you are accusing Gus of "lying," then you have to accuse every other coach in every sport for doing the exact same thing Gus does.  He doesn't have to give us straight answers if he does not want to.  It may be frustrating because in our society now everyone wants answers right then and there, but that is a competitive advantage to not tell the whole world your game plan or who can play.  Remember this is medical information we are talking about too.  We have no rights to know anything just like I do not have any rights to know your medical information.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Gus hasn't lied.  If you actually watch his press conferences, he just does not go into detail on anything.  He doesn't need to tell everyone the obvious like Bruce did.  I have no problem with Bruce saying that, but everyone knew why he would not elaborate.  If you are accusing Gus of "lying," then you have to accuse every other coach in every sport for doing the exact same thing Gus does.  He doesn't have to give us straight answers if he does not want to.  It may be frustrating because in our society now everyone wants answers right then and there, but that is a competitive advantage to not tell the whole world your game plan or who can play.  Remember this is medical information we are talking about too.  We have no rights to know anything just like I do not have any rights to know your medical information.

Look I'm not one of the guys that gets pissed at Gus not giving us anything. He has every right not to give us anything. But IMO I'd rather CGM take the Bruce Pearl approach rather than just saying anything, factual or not, just to get to the next question

Didn't Gus say everyone is 100% for the bowl game? That is just a flat out lie right there

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Didn't Gus say everyone is 100% for the bowl game? That is just a flat out lie right there

I just don't like when people are saying he is lying when it is obvious they have never once watched one of his press conferences.  Gus said everyone practiced.  Just because you practice does not mean you are 100% or ready to play.  The closest you can find as a quote to what you are saying is what Kerryon Johnson said:  "Definitely, especially with like I said the way we've been practicing here lately.  Having everybody back 100 percent, it's almost like it's a new team like we were kind of drained down and now we have new guys. When you operate at 100 percent your explosion is better, everything is just better, energy is up and I mean, we've just been doing really good."

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I just don't like when people are saying he is lying when it is obvious they have never once watched one of his press conferences.  Gus said everyone practiced.  Just because you practice does not mean you are 100% or ready to play.  The closest you can find as a quote to what you are saying is what Kerryon Johnson said:  "Definitely, especially with like I said the way we've been practicing here lately.  Having everybody back 100 percent, it's almost like it's a new team like we were kind of drained down and now we have new guys. When you operate at 100 percent your explosion is better, everything is just better, energy is up and I mean, we've just been doing really good."

We can just agree to disagree from here -- although I'm not even sure we are disagreeing. Maybe we just view it differently because truly I don't ever believe anything Gus says to the media and I've accepted that. Just wish he altered his style to be more like Bruce. CBP told us he's not going to tell us, lol. I respect that more, JMO.

Just now, Tiger said:

Well the staff definitely tells the players a set of things to make sure not to give away to the media, but in this article Gus says "everybody is good to go" for the Sugar Bowl (http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122716aab.html). Rudy Ford -- key starting safety for us -- did not play. We can just agree to disagree from here -- although I'm not even sure we are disagreeing. Maybe we just view it differently because truly I don't ever believe anything Gus says to the media and I've accepted that. Just wish he altered his style to be more like Bruce. CBP told us he's not going to tell us, lol. I respect that more, JMO.

I don't know if it is right to accuse Gus of telling his players to lie for him.  There are no facts behind that, nor do I think Kerryon would do that knowing his personality.  Rudy Ford came to Malzahn the day (or two days before, I can't remember) before the game to tell him he could not play.  My opinion (only my opinion) he was pulling out to train for the Draft.  Gus cannot be faulted for that.  And if you read that article, besides the title does it mention every player is good to go.  Not even is Gus quoted saying that.  The only reference is to Sean White.  And it did not anywhere say everyone is 100% like you said in your first post to me.

All I am saying is not just you, but a lot of people are saying Gus is lying.  But if they actually watch his press conferences, instead of reading articles that chop up what he actually said, they will know he is not lying or doing anything wrong.

Just now, abw0004 said:

I don't know if it is right to accuse Gus of telling his players to lie for him.  There are no facts behind that, nor do I think Kerryon would do that knowing his personality.  Rudy Ford came to Malzahn the day (or two days before, I can't remember) before the game to tell him he could not play.  My opinion (only my opinion) he was pulling out to train for the Draft.  Gus cannot be faulted for that.  And if you read that article, besides the title does it mention every player is good to go.  Not even is Gus quoted saying that.  The only reference is to Sean White.  And it did not anywhere say everyone is 100% like you said in your first post to me.

All I am saying is not just you, but a lot of people are saying Gus is lying.  But if they actually watch his press conferences, instead of reading articles that chop up what he actually said, they will know he is not lying or doing anything wrong.

Yeah I had edited that out after actually reading the article and determining the headline seemed misleading -- totally my bad on there and you got me before I edited it out hahah 1 point for you sir. But I'm done with it at this point I really don't care about this a whole lot as my usual take on the Gus pressers is "I don't care anymore", but as I said before, instead of being vague about wanting to put a smokescreen out there just be like "sorry, don't want to give any advantage to the opponent" -- It's easier to respect that. And I also understand the respect of message board joe schmoe is valued at just under a penny lol

But I did not know that about Rudy Ford that changes things a bit for me. Also I could've sworn there was a thread about us being 100% for the Sugar Bowl but I'll admit my memory isn't my strength. I just prefer Pearl's media-relations style over Gus'. :cheers:

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yeah I had edited that out after actually reading the article and determining the headline seemed misleading -- totally my bad on there and you got me before I edited it out hahah 1 point for you sir. But I'm done with it at this point I really don't care about this a whole lot as my usual take on the Gus pressers is "I don't care anymore", but as I said before, instead of being vague about wanting to put a smokescreen out there just be like "sorry, don't want to give any advantage to the opponent" -- It's easier to respect that. And I also understand the respect of message board joe schmoe is valued at just under a penny lol

But I did not know that about Rudy Ford that changes things a bit for me. Also I could've sworn there was a thread about us being 100% for the Sugar Bowl but I'll admit my memory isn't my strength. I just prefer Pearl's media-relations style over Gus'. :cheers:

No worries.  Not meant to be aggressive towards you in any form.  You aren't one of the negative posters on here anyways.  I just wanted to point that out so you were aware.  For the future, all press conferences are on al.com Auburn's YouTube if you ever want to see how he handles his conferences.

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

No worries.  Not meant to be aggressive towards you in any form.  I just wanted to point that out so you were aware.  For the future, all press conferences are on al.com Auburn's YouTube if you ever want to see how he handles his conferences.

I appreciate that, and did not get any aggressive vibes from you, and hope you did not from me.

Now if Purifoy's ankle could somehow magically heal before Saturday we may have as much of a chance as last year's team to beat UK. Our only hope would be for Harper to put up ~15 pts, Heron and Purifoy each to have ~18-20 pts, and Wiley to have somewhere around 10 rebounds and Bryce Brown hitting ~5 3s. Lol tall task but there was no way in hell I would've thought our hodgepodge group of guys last year would've beaten UK.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I appreciate that, and did not get any aggressive vibes from you, and hope you did not from me.

Now if Purifoy's ankle could somehow magically heal before Saturday we may have as much of a chance as last year's team to beat UK. Our only hope would be for Harper to put up ~15 pts, Heron and Purifoy each to have ~18-20 pts, and Wiley to have somewhere around 10 rebounds and Bryce Brown hitting ~5 3s. Lol tall task but there was no way in hell I would've thought our hodgepodge group of guys last year would've beaten UK.

Unlike many opponents we will face, we will NOT be able to get in a shootout score-fest with UK. Our best chance is to slow that game down, make them execute in the half court, and pressure the ball in the half court. They are at their best in a free flowing up tempo game, where they can use their superior athleticism. 

15 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Unlike many opponents we will face, we will NOT be able to get in a shootout score-fest with UK. Our best chance is to slow that game down, make them execute in the half court, and pressure the ball in the half court. They are at their best in a free flowing up tempo game, where they can use their superior athleticism. 

Good point. Their strength is our strength but we will need to be operating an efficiency that we have yet to see this team play at minus the Coastal Carolina game....tough one ahead indeed. One of our 4 minute droughts could have us fall behind by 15 or so. Unfortunately we are not very good at all in the half court offensively or defensively

Update from Pearl on Purifoy's status

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn forward Danjel Purifoy has made progress in his recovery from an ankle injury, but it won't be enough to put him back on the court for the Tigers' game Saturday at No. 6 Kentucky.

"He is out of the boot and moving around and progressing faster than we thought when he was originally diagnosed," Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl said Friday. "He will not travel to Kentucky."

Purifoy sprained his ankle in the first half of Auburn's loss to Ole Miss and did not travel with the team for the Tigers' win at Missouri on Tuesday night.

His absence leaves Auburn without its second-leading scorer and rebounder, as the redshirt freshman has averaged 13.7 points and 5.8 boards over 15 games this season.

Anfernee McLemore, who replaced Purifoy in the starting lineup against Missouri, did not score but had four rebounds in his first career start.

Auburn tips off against Kentucky at 3 p.m. CT Saturday on ESPN.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Bruce-Pearl-updates-Danjel-Purifoys-status-50524447

Archived