Mizzou Preview

JwgreDeux

Auburn vs. Missouri (M Basketball)

Auburn (10-5, 0-3) at Mizzou (5-9, 0-2)

Auburn, in search of leadership, chemistry, and in desperate need of a SEC win, will have to find itself in a road game at Mizzou. Mizzou is not a good team, losing their last 6, but we haven't played like one recently, losers of our last 3. Sure, we have extenuating circumstances, the most recent is the injury to Purifoy, but we are too far into the season for that. As I started to try and find time from work and family to dig into the numbers before this game, I realized they don't matter much in this match-up.

None the less looking at our RPI, we are currently sitting at  93, less than 20 spots worse from a week ago, a span that saw us lose two games, one at home. Even though we are not currently in position for our RPI to be very important, it is worth noting that this season is far from lost at this point. 

As for tonight's game, without Purifoy we will have to fill that spot, much discussion has been had about who fills in. Many may get a look with Spencer at the 4 that they have been wanting to see, McLemore certainly can fill that time as well, but I expect Waddell to get a good chunk of minutes. not 20, but somewhere in the double figures. He seems to help the team by playing his assignments. I think I have seen some of our better chemistry when he is on the court. 

As for the bigger topic of what does Auburn need to do to get out of this losing streak, and the larger chemistry funk we have been in for a while, there is not Xs and Os solution. I think most of us who have played over the years have been on teams with good and bad chemistry and there can be many causes. If there is any one player that, in my opinion could start a chain reaction in solving the issue with his individual play, it's Brown. I have been saying for a while we need him to play well to win, I still think his play could be a barometer for our season, not just his shooting percentage. Someone who has been around the program has to step up and help the freshmen out. With Purifoy out, and his replacements at 4 being non-scorers, this is a time for our other scorers to step up. Harper and Heron are already scoring in bunches, someone at the 2 has to contribute some points. 

I have no inside information as to where he is with CBP as far as his off the court conduct goes, and earning more time, but I'd like to see him back in the starting rotation. CBP certainly hasn't had an easy job juggling the roster this season, and Purifoy's ankle doesn't help anything, but if we want to step forward as a program we have got to get a win. 

War Eagle. 

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Props for keeping these going as the season starts to turn sour. Looking at our schedule I would say this game is about as close to a must win as you can get. Lose this one and your looking at starting SEC play at a likely 0-5....yikes. 

The absence of Lang and Brown's scoring threat from 3 has been a surprise for me this season. I really thought those guys would thrive with all the attention on the new guys.....hasn't happen yet. Perhaps it still can. 

32 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Props for keeping these going as the season starts to turn sour. Looking at our schedule I would say this game is about as close to a must win as you can get. Lose this one and your looking at starting SEC play at a likely 0-5....yikes. 

The absence of Lang and Brown's scoring threat from 3 has been a surprise for me this season. I really thought those guys would thrive with all the attention on the new guys.....hasn't happen yet. Perhaps it still can. 

I love basketball and Auburn, so that isn't an issue for my interest. Its been holiday travel and work that have required my time and attention. 

We really need some wins and positive things to happen to allow these young men to gell and build as the season goes. Not just for this season, but for our program going future. 

This is a great shot to end this streak and get out of the o-fer league mark.  Need to get this one or the chatter about the program is gonna get louder. 

Really disappointed and worried to see Bruce say Waddell will be playing more. In fact, he said he planed to play him more last game even if Purifoy was healthy. He's a good guy who knows the offense and defense better than anyone but he's just not talented enough to help us win games imo

Need to take care of business tonight and right the ship. Loose this one and the season starts to really sour.

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

Really disappointed and worried to see Bruce say Waddell will be playing more. In fact, he said he planed to play him more last game even if Purifoy was healthy. He's a good guy who knows the offense and defense better than anyone but he's just not talented enough to help us win games imo

Not too worried about Waddell playing more. He seems to make us more sound defensively. I just hope when he's on the court he's grouped with some other scorers.

The more concerning thing about Waddell playing is it doesn't seem Bruce thinks he has many other options at the 4. I know a lot of people have speculated about Spencer or Mac at the 4, but Waddell getting more minutes indicates to me he doesn't see them as viable options right now.

20 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Not too worried about Waddell playing more. He seems to make us more sound defensively. I just hope when he's on the court he's grouped with some other scorers.

The more concerning thing about Waddell playing is it doesn't seem Bruce thinks he has many other options at the 4. I know a lot of people have speculated about Spencer or Mac at the 4, but Waddell getting more minutes indicates to me he doesn't see them as viable options right now.

I think he wants to keep from having spacing issues. If Wiley is in there with Horace those are 2 guys that cannot do anything offensively unless within 12 feet of the basket. It will mess up our spacing, although I'd like to see how our rebounding improves with Horace and Wiley running 4 and 5 with Heron and Purifoy (pre-injury) on the wings. 

This is going to sound ridiculous but what if we move TJ Lang to the 4 and start Bryce at the 2. Isn't Lang like 6-7? He's obviously not the ideal 4 by any means but I'd say he's more of an offensive threat than Waddel for sure

3 hours ago, au302 said:

This is going to sound ridiculous but what if we move TJ Lang to the 4 and start Bryce at the 2. Isn't Lang like 6-7? He's obviously not the ideal 4 by any means but I'd say he's more of an offensive threat than Waddel for sure

Lang could not defend as a 4, or rebound

Lang plays way smaller than his height.  My concern about Lang ... I don't really know what his role is?  He isn't scoring a bunch, not a rebounding threat from outside, I don't think much offense runs through him and i don't perceive him to be a notable defender.  Maybe it's his experience and trustworthiness ... kind of similar to Waddell getting more minutes.