winning and losing

aubiefifty

is it possible that different schemes on o and d have caught up to each other to the point that only a few teams show great winning records year after year? even tho we all want to win every game we play is it fair to say that this is just the state of the game today? i do not know i am asking. do we not go in cycles winning and losing wise on say the triple option, the I, the pistol, the spread,etc. eventually these schemes get figured out right? and when it happens lots of teams get caught up in "getting figured out"? that we become average? it has seemed like that to me in proball for forever now. only a handful of great teams year to year in pro and lots of bad ones. so why can this not be true in college ball? we got certain big winners but most are average or below. a few above average but not great. does anyone think this sort of thing have anything to do with auburn and our current situation overall? and please understand i am still mad as the devil about ga and tired of watching folks try to put out fires at auburn but is it also a cycle thing? we have done good and bad. am i off base here? just sitting here partying and was curious if i was anywhere close on this.

Good coaches catch up. The spread fast tempo offense are still effective but defenses have started to catch up. The teams that win over and over again have one thing in common the quality of their talent and the ability to adjust. Saban won for years with big O-Lines power football and big defenses that stopped the run game. The only blips were periodically getting beat by an uptempo offense. He adjusted with LB's who are still big but have better range and DE's that can contain while still stopping the run.  That D shut down Clemson until they got tired in second half because their O was repeatedly doing 3 and out. The second half of the Clemson game reminded me a lot of the second half of the IronBowl where our D just got worn down.

New Offense's take a while to dissect but the good teams adjust.  Then the Offense has to adjust to the defense.  If you build a defense designed just to stop the fast paces spread offenses you can be hurt by the power offenses. Only a few teams can recruit the type of players who are big enough to stop the power teams and fast enough to stop the fats paced spread teams.

Great coaching occurs when you have great talent.

In short, yes. The 2013 offense, even with the 2013 team, would not be as effective today as it was then.  Good DCs have figured out the nuances and developed schemes for defending it, like crashing the mesh point. That is exactly why a large number of fans want Gus to get another offensive mind in there to help him mix things up.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

just sitting here partying and was curious if i was anywhere close on this.

One line or two? 

two bowls

Archived