Dabo's W-L BEFORE QBs Boyd/Watson

GwillMac6

19-15 in the 3 seasons prior to the 6 year run he has had really good- ELITE college QB play from Tahj Boyd and Deshaun Watson. from 2011 till now? 70-13 with a national title, Multiple conference championships and 2 playoff appearances. Its all about the QB baby. He has been stacking 4 and 5 stars QB recruits on top of each other each class and so far he has struck gold with his last 2 starters. I believe for 2018 he has a 5 star QB commit on board already as well. I know clemson and Auburn are compared to each other a lot but this is the biggest reason I see imo  we are where we are and they are where they are right now in college football. We have struck out repeatedly since Nick Marshall graduated. 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

know clemson and Auburn are compared to each other a lot but this is the biggest reason I see imo

They are the great value version of Auburn that so happens to come with a gimmicky lake.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

19-15 in the 3 seasons prior to the 6 year run he has had really good- ELITE college QB play from Tahj Boyd and Deshaun Watson. from 2011 till now? 70-13 with a national title, Multiple conference championships and 2 playoff appearances. Its all about the QB baby. He has been stacking 4 and 5 stars QB recruits on top of each other each class and so far he has struck gold with his last 2 starters. I believe for 2018 he has a 5 star QB commit on board already as well. I know clemson and Auburn are compared to each other a lot but this is the biggest reason I see imo  we are where we are and they are where they are right now in college football. We have struck out repeatedly since Nick Marshall graduated. 

Just imagine swapping QBs for our first game this year, it wouldn't have come down to Auburn needing a Hail Mary...

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

They are the great value version of Auburn that so happens to come with a gimmicky lake.

they literally copy every tradition we have I swear. Its so damn annoying they are doing football better than us lately. Especially with a frickin bama guy at the controls. I really hope we whoop them next year. We owe em.

4 minutes ago, rexbo said:

Just imagine swapping QBs for our first game this year, it wouldn't have come down to Auburn needing a Hail Mary...

True.

Though just playing SW from the start likely would have resulted in an AU victory as well.... no Hail Mary's needed. :jossun:

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

they literally copy every tradition we have I swear. Its so damn annoying they are doing football better than us lately. Especially with a frickin bama guy at the controls. I really hope we whoop them next year. We owe em.

I literally just retweeted a link out. Auburn remodeling their football dorms gave them the epiphany that they should upgrade as well...

We should claim a portion of their championship.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I literally just tweeted a link out. Auburn remodeling their football dorms gave them the epiphany that they should upgrade as well...

We should claim a portion of their championship.

LMAO. what a bunch of freaking posers. I am #allin with that idea haha.........

51 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

True.

Though just playing SW from the start likely would have resulted in an AU victory as well.... no Hail Mary's needed. :jossun:

And playing Pettway.

Just now, PigskinPat said:

And playing Pettway.

Simple.  See? WE figured that out.  Why can't Gus?

Clemsons defense has continuesly improved and Dabo is no longer a "rookie" HC.... Having talent at QB certainly helped but give the guy credit 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

You and I interpreted all this differently.

Yeah, I skimmed the first post too lightly. That made my post way over the top. Was just expecting more of the same I suppose. I will delete my post. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you did me a favor and deleted where you quoted me, but it's all good either way. 

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Too busy trying to turn Franklin into a starting QB.

Maybe...but considering what / who he had to work with it was probably the best option...maybe only option:   Jason was not going to make the change, Woody was not ready, Queen was still  hurt and JJ....well that was pretty well known....    Maybe they could have found a better JUCO rescue package....but maybe not.   And even by late Aug we had some posters convince that JF3 was the best QB...:dunno:

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Maybe...but considering what / who he had to work with it was probably the best option...maybe only option:   Jason was not going to make the change, Woody was not ready, Queen was still  hurt and JJ....well that was pretty well known....    Maybe they could have found a better JUCO rescue package....but maybe not.   And even by late Aug we had some posters convince that JF3 was the best QB...:dunno:

they could of and should of with Jerod Evans. He def wanted to come to Auburn. Rhett saw and evaluated both in person and decided to extend the offer to jf3. I do agree one our best chances to win this year without a healthy sean was just run the triple option with jf3. Thats the only time he could be a starting sec qb. Gus runs it about as much as those service academies triple option offenses and ga tech.

Just now, AU64 said:

Maybe...but considering what / who he had to work with it was probably the best option...maybe only option:   Jason was not going to make the change, Woody was not ready, Queen was still  hurt and JJ....well that was pretty well known....    Maybe they could have found a better JUCO rescue package....but maybe not. 

I get you, but my point was that Malzahn wasted the entire Spring/Fall on Franklin, who runs a read-option offense, which means they likely didn't put much effort into developing a play-action offense with the rest of the team, reviewing all of our backs, or even considering Sean as the initial starter. He was dead set on making John into a SEC QB for whatever reason.

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

they could of and should of with Jerod Evans. He def wanted to come to Auburn. Rhett saw and evaluated both in person and decided to extend the offer to jf3. I do agree one our best chances to win this year without a healthy sean was just run the triple option with jf3. Thats the only time he could be a starting sec qb. Gus runs it about as much as those service academies triple option offenses and ga tech.

Show a link to that:     Until then, there is nothing factual from what I have heard.....he had been tied to the VaTech coach for several years according to that coach...recruited him out of HS and later toward Memphis and then Va.Tech.....at least that is the story from the coach and from a post game interview with Evans.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/columns_and_blogs/blogs/andy_bitter_virginia_tech_football/juco-coach-on-hokies-qb-commit-jerod-evans-everybody-knew/article_e1119d2c-a287-11e5-b5b9-5bc1ac1bd217.html

No point in blaming AU coaches for not getting him.....

On 1/10/2017 at 4:19 PM, AUsince72 said:

True.

Remember the other brainstorm CGM had for that game, Pettway never got in the game. I wouldn't mind having whatever they were smoking, snorting, drinking or rubbing into their bellies to come up with that award winning game plan.

You think its all about the QBs? Their defense has risen considerably.  They are a WR factory.  Dabo is proving to be a very good coach.  They lost Chad Morris over two years ago and the offense is still elite.  Their QBs succeed because they've got something that WORKS over at Clemson.

32 minutes ago, metafour said:

You think its all about the QBs? Their defense has risen considerably.  They are a WR factory.  Dabo is proving to be a very good coach.  They lost Chad Morris over two years ago and the offense is still elite.  Their QBs succeed because they've got something that WORKS over at Clemson.

It will be interesting to see how they fare this upcoming season with a new qb at the helm. They very well may make the CFP, but I'm guessing Fla St. wins the conference title.

1 hour ago, metafour said:

It's got a little something to do with having the most talented QB in the nation too. But generally you're correct.

We have the talent around the QB on the offensive side of the ball. RB, O line and WR (if we would just PLAY THE MOST TALENTED WRS. but thats a whole other story.) we are set on for the next couple of years. The 1 aspect that has been missing is dynamic qb play. So yah I would say qb has a lot to do with it. Dabos record before those Qbs show how important it is. He has hit home runs in qb recruiting and gus struck out big time. I will def agree clemson has been WR U lately and that has a lot to do with it. They seem to have a Offensive mind over there even after chad morris left who is able to come up with a great passing attack where they pass first. Gus has never shown he can do that since tulsa even with cam it was run first. SO yes you are correct the have found the magic formula. I dream of having the passing numbers that offense has put up the last 6 seasons.

The OP actually makes me feel a little good about Gus. I have been railing on him the last few weeks but we have a semi-proven QB now and a defense on the rise. So maybe there is hope.

The offensive playbooks are almost identical. Chris Brown at Smart Football posted a copy of Clempson's playbook. Even the use of numbers instead of letters, and the actual numbering scheme is identical. Most of the same plays are there, but Dabo added more passing into the mix for Watson so he would not have to run as much. Watson is not like Boyd (or Cam or Tebow). Some of the pass plays were nice additions--I would love to see Auburn add them.

So to your point, yes, it takes a QB. I hope we have found one.

Archived