Vs Mizzou Postgame [W 77-72]

ShocksMyBrain

Very much needed....now get better. Even if it's UK.

any win on the road is good....but not much from this game that should be carried forward.....missed FTs, got killed on the offensive boards.....unforced turnovers.....a complete lesson on how not to win in the SEC. 

Fortunately, Mizz is probably the worst team in the league and we caught them on an off-night as far as shooting goes. 

Good to get the W. It sounds redundant but sometimes you have to win to prove to yourself you can still win. Somewhat like a shortstop that boots a ball and it causes him to make several errors. He just needs to make a play to prove to himself he can still make the play. 

The way UK has taken it to some teams this year..if we can keep from getting doubled up that might be an accomplishment. Hope the game is blacked out everywhere but Lexington....

Well, I live in Colorado, so that ain't gonna happen here. Who knows, maybe getting the monkey off their back with their first conference win and getting it on the road will be a springboard for them

Wanna compliment Bryce Brown. Big time game even though he made some bone head mistakes at the end. Also wanna give a shout out to Horace. He plays with all effort and should start over Wiley for the time being. Good move by Bruce to not play Waddell in the second half. We would have lost if he did. Overall, weird and frustrating game but our guys fought and got the win and that's what matters. War Eagle!

20 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i don't like the dumb stuff, quick shots, and all of the other things that young players make, that all goes with it....i do not like being out hustled and there is no excuse for it

Here, Here!

Whats going on with TJ Dunans? I may be looking at this completely wrong but not only do I feel as if he's playing awful but I feel like he's being selfish with the ball. He's such a better player than this. I wonder if there's something going on we don't know about.

Apparently Heron was also playing on a bum wheel 

So with DP out and Heron's mobility hampered, you'd expect our already below average rebounding to go down. Remember, Heron has been one of our best rebounders even though he's playing guard a majority of the time. I believe he's snagged over 10 a couple of times, 17 one time and even still 9 tonight. So limited mobility to one of our most abled rebounders and the loss of our starting 4, not gonna expect to see much good rebounding.

I want to again mention that out of our 5-6 "bigs" that we play (our 4s and 5s) 3 haven't been on the team the entire year (counting DP's now one game absence), one is a grad transfer, one is a walk on and the other being Mclemore, a true freshmen (along with Wiley).

imagine an extremely young offensive line trying to switch up their rotation 3-4 times in the first half of the season and then lose their starting tackle to injury once they finally start to get everything set up. That's pretty much where we're at.

with a coach like BP and the roster that we have, id still like to see a little more done. A little more hustle forced out of these kids for a rebound, the same thing we're all bickering about. But there's gonna be times when the other teams gameplay revolves around killing us on the boards and these freshman are so used to "I can score every time we're on offense so nothing else matters" that it's still a realization that they have to make that the only way you start running away with games like this and competing more is giving your best effort on both sides.

with all that being said and all of the injuries, suspensions, additions, readditions and freshmen we have playing; CBP has still been able to match his win total from last season halfway through the year and he and this team are still finding ways to win close games late. even though it's not against the best competition and even though we are still finding ways to lose winnable games, you can't argue much with the record improvement from last year to this year (unless we don't win another game lol) and as long as CBP and this team keep up the improvement, I'm all for it.

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Whats going on with TJ Dunans? I may be looking at this completely wrong but not only do I feel as if he's playing awful but I feel like he's being selfish with the ball. He's such a better player than this. I wonder if there's something going on we don't know about.

There may be. I hate to judge a young guy like TJ especially when he's been seemingly a great kid but I'd assume that it's his seniority kicking in. He knows the young kids are still a little trigger happy (which they are, no doubt) and when he thinks we/they are in a rut, he seems to keep it for himself. That may be my selective bias only allowing me to remember plays where he acted a little selfish when he should have/could have dished it to a younger guy for a better shot. 

At the same time, he may have the right to do that some and it may be the coaching calling for him to take ISOs (he did hit that game winner for us so it's not like he's disappointed when given the chance, also just barely missed the first half buzzer beater on that little triangle play today). 

But I agree with you, he's looked a little out of character these past few games and has seemed to almost regress. Hope everything is alright with him and he gets turned around.

Herron is one of the more productive rebounders because his size is to his advantage at his position more times than not. One of the reasons I wanted everybody to play their natural positions because we'd actually probably have the rebounding match up won at 3 of the 5 positions on the court....we're just going to have to live with Harper....

Man what I'd give to have lonzo ball on this team

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Herron is one of the more productive rebounders because his size is to his advantage at his position more times than not. One of the reasons I wanted everybody to play their natural positions because we'd actually probably have the rebounding match up won at 3 of the 5 positions on the court....we're just going to have to live with Harper....

Man what I'd give to have lonzo ball on this team

Harper will win plenty of matchups on the offensive end due to his quickness that'll make up for him being mismatched on d. Hopefully the positives outweigh the negatives on that. 

continuing my analogy of our bigs being like an o-line Harper is like a very good blocking RB. While that's not his main job,  and while he's usually still doing his main job well, he knows how to get in position to get the rebound quicker than most. He's one of those kids who seems to know where the ball will bounce to before it hits the rim more often than most (maybe just luck). But tonight may have been one of the nights (especially with DP out) that we would have seen Heron grab ~15 boards. That's potentially 12-18 points off of mizzou's final score if all of his "missing rebounds" would have negated second chance points. Having a tweaked ankle definitely hurts that quick burst off of a first step that can be very important in rebounding, especially with long rebounds 

Yes that may happen if they are playing him man to man, but there are a couple of teams/players like the pg from Kentucky that is taller, longer, and quicker than he is. Harper's length can also be somewhat a problem when we want to run zone. But like you said have to live with the good and bad

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yes that may happen if they are playing him man to man, but there are a couple of teams/players like the pg from Kentucky that is taller, longer, and quicker than he is. Harper's length can also be somewhat a problem when we want to run zone. But like you said have to live with the good and bad

Oh yeah, Kentucky is scary everywhere. Even though there's a good chance we get stomped, I'm interested to see the game. I'm hoping Heron's closing out tonight and Brown hitting some threes is a good sign and not just mizzou being terrible and giving me hope. But I do want to see what CBP has planned. A W against ukt (not getting my hopes up on that just being hypothetical) could provide a crazy amount of momentum going down this stretch as well as a huge W if they were to somehow be a bubble team still. So that makes me interested in seeing how CBP approaches the game plan and how well our guys execute (even if we end up down by 30 at the half)

I know there's a 99.9% chance it doesn't happen but man would a win vs Kentucky be sweet. I actually think we could keep it within 10-15 points if it was at home but since it's on the road it's gonna be hard to keep it under 20

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how the game went?  I was not able to watch it.  I saw the YouTube highlights Auburn put out but that's it.  

Is blocking out a lost skill? We stand around flatfooted and no one seems to work to get position. As Charles Barkley says...'90% of rebounds are taken from below the rim. You just have to want the ball'.

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how the game went?  I was not able to watch it.  I saw the YouTube highlights Auburn put out but that's it.  

UGLY...like watching sausage being made....you don't want to know the details...just enjoy the result.

50 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Is blocking out a lost skill? We stand around flatfooted and no one seems to work to get position. As Charles Barkley says...'90% of rebounds are taken from below the rim. You just have to want the ball'.

Seems to be a lost art for us anyway. I mean i know the coaches practice rebounding (they have to right?) so i'm not sure what the problem is. The ones where we have 3 people standing under the basket and their guy just runs up and takes it from us are the hard ones to take. Maybe rebounding is like blocking for RBs. Maybe it takes some time and experience at this level to get good at it. A lot of rebounding is just toughness and other than McClemore and Heron i don't see a lot of guy on the team i'd call "tough"

Archived