Rolling Toomers after bammer loss

alexava

When I was a young whippersnapper 3 years ago I was a student and they rolled the trees when Alabama lost.  If I remember correctly (memory is now starting to fade with my old age of 25) on the tour for high school students, they even would say Auburn students roll the trees when Alabama loses.  Alabama calls us the cow school on their tour so I am impartial to rolling the trees.  I never did it though.  I probably couldn't do it now as I probably need a cane soon.  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Very disappointing... though not surprising with the current generation.

Ouch...although I agree with your sentiments of disappointment. 

The façade of civility between AU and bammer completely dissolved in 2010. It really began corroding when Saban came in and started his regime of sleaze. I'm not surprised that students wanted to roll Toomers. I'm personally conflicted about it though...

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I'm not surprised that students wanted to roll Toomers. I'm personally conflicted about it though...

May I change my previous comments to this? No? Oh well. Worth a shot. 

1 hour ago, grandpajay said:

No, I remember "Roll Ducks Roll" t-shirts in 2010. All my Bama friends bought them. I thought that was classless so this is just a little payback. 

True. Forgot about that.

Seems very little brotherly to me. I don't see the point in comparing it to poisoning trees or tea bagging. I would not use the rlolling to promote anything divisive like an opponent loss or an election result. Bin Laden death yes. Maybe 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Only if it had been an Auburn Grad who pulled the trigger or lead the op.

Just trying to think of an occurance everyone would celebrate. 

34 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

When I was a young whippersnapper 3 years ago I was a student and they rolled the trees when Alabama lost.  If I remember correctly (memory is now starting to fade with my old age of 25) on the tour for high school students, they even would say Auburn students roll the trees when Alabama loses.  Alabama calls us the cow school on their tour so I am impartial to rolling the trees.  I never did it though.  I probably couldn't do it now as I probably need a cane soon.  

I've been on BOTH college tours with two kids within the last 3 yrs (I have a Jr at Auburn right now and getting ready to send the other kid off to college soon.)  

The Bama Bound tour made no mention of Auburn as cow college or anything derogatory towards any other college.  Our War Eagle tour made no mention of rolling Toomer Corner in the event of an Alabama loss and had no derogatory comments about any other college.  So obviously BOTH schools have changed their tours to represent more class than when you toured them a few years ago.

41 minutes ago, alexava said:

Just trying to think of an occurance everyone would celebrate. 

I get you... my point is that rolling Toomers is about celebrating Auburn succeeding, not others succeeding or failing.

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

I've been on BOTH college tours with two kids within the last 3 yrs (I have a Jr at Auburn right now and getting ready to send the other kid off to college soon.)  

The Bama Bound tour made no mention of Auburn as cow college or anything derogatory towards any other college.  Our War Eagle tour made no mention of rolling Toomer Corner in the event of an Alabama loss and had no derogatory comments about any other college.  So obviously BOTH schools have changed their tours to represent more class than when you toured them a few years ago.

Could very well be true.  I believe I went on my tours in 2007-2008.

3 hours ago, creed said:

A little disappointed, but very little. This event doesn't even register compared to updike, teabagger, flying mom or the preacher man pregame from the other side.

who is flying mom? and also people forget a bummer fan served an auburn man  rat poison on his burger because he refused to remove his auburn hat. auburn fellow wound up in the hospital..

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

who is flying mom? 

Flying mom is the bama fan who went crazy and leapt over the top of a couple of rows of people to physically attack a rival fan.... all while someone was filming.

Its a little classless if you absolutely had to put it in a negative category.  I mostly see the fun and banter side of it. Nobody was harmed, nothing destroyed.  I always figured sports fans have been celebrating their teams wins, and their rivals to losses for generations, especially around their college ages. 

I am clearly alone here, but I thought it was humorous. I wear a Texas Longhorn cap as a reminder of what can happen to a dominant program and hope that it happens to bammer. As my wife says, "I pull for Auburn and whoever plays bammer."

I will bet my eye teeth that rolling was not performed by the typical " locals and student gatherers  "(when a proper rolling is due). Also, the downtown bars sell beer in mass quantities and youngsters consume these mass quantities during television games.

This is mild considering what the bammers did and will do when we win our next NC in the not too distant future.

Just now, doc4aday said:

This is mild considering what the bammers did and will do when we win our next NC in the not too distant future.

And they will use if for justifications of their actions, no matter how outrageous they may be. I prefer to not give them any ammo.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

And they will use if for justifications of their actions, no matter how outrageous they may be. I prefer to not give them any ammo.

The only ammo we could give bammer is for us to win an  NC or 2 in the next few years! We just need to be better prepared for what the bammers will stoop so low to do to us.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Since we rolled OUR OWN trees..... I'd love to see them destroy something on their own campus and say "Justified!"

Seriously though.  Just beating their team gives them ammo...

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Since we rolled OUR OWN trees..... I'd love to see them destroy something on their own campus and say "Justified!"

Seriously though.  Just beating their team gives them ammo...

Yea, but they'll never say it was because we beat them, they will say it's in retaliation for something akin to rolling the trees because they lost. It's a stupid childish cycle. They do something stupid, then we do something less stupid because they did the first stupid thing, then they do something even more stupid, and so on.

4 hours ago, grandpajay said:

No, I remember "Roll Ducks Roll" t-shirts in 2010. All my Bama friends bought them. I thought that was classless so this is just a little payback. 

I understand this sentiment, but at some point, are we the "stoop to that level" fanbase or the "high road" one? I think that's basically the gist of the OP.

I was embarrassed when I heard about the tree rolling after this year's game. Especially in light of the fact that we kind of crapped the bed in our bowl game.

Additionally, I just think it should be understood that rolling Toomer's corner should be reserved for things that are related to Auburn University and positive. Not for election results, holidays, celebrity birthdays or whatever other reasons people come up with. Using it to celebrate/mock the downfall of others should be beneath us.

Where do I register for my "Get off my lawn" card?

Archived