Null



Sign in to follow this  
ellitor

AFCA proposes redshirt rule change

Recommended Posts





I think this would be great for development.  Once a new player hits the roster, the coaches can start developing them and would be able to give them a test in live game action any time during the season and then evaluation their development progress.  The option play 4 games and still be able to red-shirt afterwards would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the stipulation is just "less than 4 games", could a player potentially become a starter for the last 3 games of the season (due to injury, a la Ole Miss QB Shea Patterson after Chad Kelly went down) and still take a redshirt? Would this rule change be retroactive (i.e. could Shea still apply for a redshirt)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Since the stipulation is just "less than 4 games", could a player potentially become a starter for the last 3 games of the season (due to injury, a la Ole Miss QB Shea Patterson after Chad Kelly went down) and still take a redshirt? Would this rule change be retroactive (i.e. could Shea still apply for a redshirt)?

If this article is correct then yes to 1st question. No to 2nd question as all AFCA proposals do not go into effect til they are voted on & approved by university presidents each April and they have never done retroactive at that point.

Quote

Such a change would allow true freshmen to get snaps during the season, in bowls or non-conference games for instance, without losing a year of eligibility.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Such a change would allow true freshmen to get snaps during the season, in bowls or non-conference games for instance, without losing a year of eligibility.

The next question would be, would that open things up so an early enrollee could play in a bowl... say Stidham coming in for Sean when he broke his arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The next question would be, would that open things up so an early enrollee could play in a bowl... say Stidham coming in for Sean when he broke his arm.

I doubt it since mid year terms start after all the bowls are over. Stidham for example became eligible today when classes started back for AU. He just does not have any games to play in til September.

Edited by ellitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I doubt it since mid year terms start after all the bowls are over. Stidham for example became eligible today when classes started back for AU. He just does not have any games to play in til September.

Oh well... it's too late anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the non conference part.....would allow guys to get their feet wet in blow out games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be a solid way to see a QB, or anyone, in live action before deciding if they need another year of development before getting on the field.

 

Lol would've been nice to redshirt JJ last year after LSU game to hopefully teach him how to read defenses...although might not have made a difference in his particular case but in theory you get to see what you have without blowing a year of eligibility for a guy. Could be kind of useful for a coach like Gus who seemingly doesn't know what a guy can do until a month into the regular season. 

 

Also, very intriguing to have the ability to pull a guy out for our last few games as an added boost and still not lose eligibility - if I understood that correctly.

Edited by Tiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gr82b4au said:

I think everyone is going to like this.

Except for the DCs who are the 8th game in the schedule and suddenly find themselves facing the Freshman phenom QB that they have no film on, who's been getting ready in the wings all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Except for the DCs who are the 8th game in the schedule and suddenly find themselves facing the Freshman phenom QB that they have no film on, who's been getting ready in the wings all season.

If he is a phenom they will at least have high school film to look at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ellitor said:

If he is a phenom they will at least have high school film to look at.

True, but if they haven't played until that game, they wouldn't even know to look at it (unless they are watching Hudl highlights in the booth while their offense is on the field).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

True, but if they haven't played until that game, they wouldn't even know to look at it (unless they are watching Hudl highlights in the booth while their offense is on the field).

Ahh. You're talking about a surprise after the game started. Still a phenom will be well known & already looked at by most schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ahh. You're talking about a surprise after the game started. Still a phenom will be well known & already looked at by most schools.

Yea, I get you... still it does have the potential to add some serious wrinkles to the last 4 games of the season as coaches could effectively roll out all of their freshman who hadn't played the rest of the year.... and honestly would be dumb not to, or at least get them on the field against every cupcake, as any experience is good experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bryanlooney said:

*Fewer* than 4 games.

 

Good catch... get them in against every cupcake or at least the last 3 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lionheartkc said:

Good catch... get them in against every cupcake or at least the last 3 games.

Sorry - that was actually meant as a response to the original tweet from the AFCA that said "less than 4 games". Just a grammar thing. Not a particulars-of-the-rule thing and not directed at you or anyone else. However, the wording is curious, now that you mention it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this