Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah. I honestly don't mind the experience thing as much as it being someone from a different coaching tree then Gus. Some of these guys are very bright and just need the opportunity. Yurcich has had a pretty good opening as power 5 coordinator. I am still a little cautious about this Air raid mentality, although I imagine we would move towards Gus's principle if hired.

Technically, Yurcich has more and better power 5 OC experience than Gus himself did when Chizik brought him here.  Like you, I would rather see someone from a different tree than Gus.  As for his Air Raid mentality, that is exactly the kind of OC that I would like to see directing a more aggressive passing attack.

26 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

$400K/yr - Can we still afford that?

Also - who's he related to? (pass PTB muster?)

Money is very rarely an object for AU.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Technically, Yurcich has more and better power 5 OC experience than Gus himself did when Chizik brought him here.  Like you, I would rather see someone from a different tree than Gus.  As for his Air Raid mentality, that is exactly the kind of OC that I would like to see directing a more aggressive passing attack.

And he has the most successful OC & playcalling experience of any candidate that has been mentioned so far. 4 at the P5 level & another 2 at D2.

I honestly don't see what the downside of Yurich is.

• Has been successful calling an offense at the P5 level
  • Known for QB development
  • Young and brings energy to the staff
  • Not associated with the Malzahn tree (means that any ideas he has about the passing attack will be un-influenced)
  • Utilized a QB with a similar style to Stidham at OSU (Mason Rudolph, 4091 yds, 28 tds, 158.9 QBR, 83 rushes for 61 yds, 6 tds)
  • ran an offense know for using RPOs and more advanced route combos

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And he has the most successful OC & playcalling experience of any candidate that has been mentioned so far. 4 at the P5 level & another 2 at D2.

I had never paid attention to his name until he was brought up here, but Oklahoma State the past several years has been a fun offense to watch (and a team I made a point to keep up with).

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Matt Nagy

Well... he knows how to lead a team to the play-offs with a key injury in the offensive backfield and a game manager at QB...

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Here are your NFL candidates from this weekends losers.  If we're still looking next Monday, I'll post the losers from that weekend.

Will Harriger  Notice at Auburn in 2007  Seahawks

Wade Wilson Cowboys

Pat O'Hara Texans

Matt Nagy Chiefs

I will be surprised if it's not ended before this weekend, and by Wednesday to be honest.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Well... he knows how to lead a team to the play-offs with a key injury in the offensive backfield and a game manager at QB...

Doesn't Andy Reid call the plays for KC? And Nagy is Co-Coordinator with Brad Childress. 

11 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

I honestly don't see what the downside of Yurich is.

• Has been successful calling an offense at the P5 level
  • Known for QB development
  • Young and brings energy to the staff
  • Not associated with the Malzahn tree (means that any ideas he has about the passing attack will be un-influenced)
  • Utilized a QB with a similar style to Stidham at OSU (Mason Rudolph, 4091 yds, 28 tds, 158.9 QBR, 83 rushes for 61 yds, 6 tds)
  • ran an offense know for using RPOs and more advanced route combos

I don't think there is one, but some will find something.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Money is very rarely an object for AU.

I wish everyone would worrying about money. We are one of the wealthiest schools in the country and will pay what is needed for the next OC. I think Yurich will get an offer of at least $650,000.00 and most likely more than that. OSU cannot and will not try to compete with us as far and money goes, 

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Doesn't Andy Reid call the plays for KC? And Nagy is Co-Coordinator with Brad Childress. 

Yeah, I just tried to pick the coach working with QB's as I doubt a full NFL OC would go to college OC.  And O'Brien probably coaches QB's for Texans but O'Hara also looked to be involved with them some.  I doubt we even look at any of those guys, but just listed possible NFL coaches we could be waiting on.  Interesting the Seahawks guy graduated from Auburn also.

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I honestly have no idea.  My knowledge of the Chiefs primarily comes from following Dee Ford and listening to friends and co-workers brag or complain about the games.

Just now, DAG said:

I don't think there is one, but some will find something.

I guess the one negative is that there could be some disagreement in offensive philosophy between Yurich and Malzahn (pass-heavy vs run-heavy), but that's a pretty big statement to say that the worst thing I can find about the guy is that he may be too confident in what he's good (especially when we're specifically seeking him out because he is so good at what he does).

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I wish everyone would worrying about money. We are one of the wealthiest schools in the country and will pay what is needed for the next OC. I think Yurich will get an offer of at least $650,000.00 and most likely more than that. OSU cannot and will not try to compete with us as far and money goes, 

I could see us spending over $1 million on an OC, but don't be fooled Mr Pickens can spend whatever he wants to keep a coach at OSU

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

The bigger issue is how much are we willing to pay? I imagine OSU would definitely match a 600 K salary.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The bigger issue is how much are we willing to pay? I imagine OSU would definitely match a 600 K salary.

They might, but I think we will go up the pay scale to the point that OSU would be willing to spend. I remember when Les Miles was hired at OSU, he took a pay cut in order to be able to pay his assistants more $$.  I do not think Pickens would get involved with any of this. We do have more $$$$, and I mean more $$$$ than Pickens would ever get into a wage battle with Auburn. So please quit trying to come up with reasons why could not cover this without a doubt.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Based on the fact that our DC is in the million dollar club, I have no reason to believe we aren't willing to match that for an OC.

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Oklahoma State is used to replacing their OC's every few years.  Yurcich is the first one they have had for 4 years since Mike Gundy was Les Miles' OC there.  I doubt Oklahoma State will be getting into a bidding war with us to keep him, especially if it starts drifting into the kind of money we have been willing to pay coordinators.

In other words, if he is who Gus (and Auburn) wants, then money will not be a reason he does not end up here.

9 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

They might, but I think we will go up the pay scale to the point that OSU would be willing to spend. I remember when Les Miles was hired at OSU, he took a pay cut in order to be able to pay his assistants more $$.  I do not think Pickens would get involved with any of this. We do have more $$$$, and I mean more $$$$ than Pickens would ever get into a wage battle with Auburn. So please quit trying to come up with reasons why could not cover this without a doubt.

Pickens has donated over $1 billion to OSU athletics already I am sure a couple million is nothing

Archived