Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I seriously doubt that anyone (especially an alum) is going to leave Clemson to come here, given the perceived situation here.  Why leave a national championship team for the realistic possibility of being fired next year?

Then how bout Nick Petrino? Bobby's son. Start over on a new leaf with the Petrino family?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Patrick Nix

You being a Scottsboro guy would have nothing to do with this, right?

1 minute ago, autigersj said:

Then how bout Nick Petrino? Bobby's son. Start over on a new leaf with the Petrino family?

Same problem.  Would you leave your father's tutelage to go somewhere that you basically arrive on the hot seat?

Just now, Strychnine said:

Same problem.  Would you leave your father's tutelage to go somewhere that you basically arrive on the hot seat?

I was being mostly sarcastic about Petrino but couldn't you just say that about every coach unless they are at a considerably lower position?

34 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

First, I agree with everyone else that says it:  people should not be learning on the job here.  Auburn is certainly not paying apprentice salaries, and I am definitely getting tired of being patient with novices learning things they should have already known before they got here.  That said, if you are going to give a head coach another year to right the ship, you absolutely have to let him do what he thinks he needs to do.  If he fails, you have good reason to fire him.  If he succeeds, then you have good indications that he has indeed learned and is moving forward.

You are right though, this OC hire might be the turning point in his story.  I hope it is.  I am tired of having a great season, some mediocre/bad seasons, and then a new head coach search.

In order for this to happen Auburn needs to leave a HC alone. Give him full control regardless and let him sink or swim with the decisions he makes.

3 hours ago, gctiger said:

If the power brokers want to buy a place at the table, then they need to ante up, stop being cheap as hell and pay whatever it takes to straighten out this mess  

And therein ls the sticking point. THEY do have a place at the table for sure, and they have anted up alright, it just didn't payoff as they thought in the hiring of Gus. So I think that the pay to play has about run it's course, in terms of ante-up.

1 minute ago, autigersj said:

I was being mostly sarcastic about Petrino but couldn't you just say that about every coach unless they are at a considerably lower position?

You could indeed.  A lateral move from any solid power 5 program to Auburn would be a risky career decision, one that I would call unwise.  This is even more true if you are talking about moving from a program like Clemson or Louisville, which are currently two of the ACC's best programs.  I can see it making sense if a candidate is convinced that he and Gus can do good things.

Personally, I would have no problem with a Petrino.  Then again, I was also one that had no issue with Bobby Petrino being considered after Chizik was fired.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

JJ was a miss, but we'll give him a pass...he certainly passed the eye test coming in.  Queen...tough injuries to overcome so I'll give the staff a pass.  Sean was a good sign, although he breaks a lot.  Kudos to Gus for getting Sean here.  JF3...what the heck were they thinking?  It's obvious we have little nothing that is reliable at the QB position and the staff goes out in December/January and gets Franklin?  There were other more qualified options that we didn't get.  Options that performed pretty well this past year.  Now, maybe Evans told us no, but that's still all on Gus.  He knew we had a problem in September of 2015.  It took until January of 17 to get it fixed.

The SEC West will eat you alive if you take 15 months to fix a problem.

I like this post but I'm out of likes. So here's a virtual one :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Give it a rest, I was typing my post when you typed yours and didn't see your request. That said, your request came with a side of QB discussion itself, so I see you follow your own rules with aplomb. Sir.  

I'm done with it, and was done after my last post. May I go hitch your high horse now?

It was not a high horse post. Even though the reply was to your post the message was for everyone. In hindsignt I could have done better by just making the post without quoting another post. My mistake on that.

9 minutes ago, autigersj said:

BTW Tennessee just promoted from within and brought in a QB coach...

Interesting how most SEC programs are promoting from within for their OCs.  Wonder what that says about the current OC market... or the desire to coach offense in the SEC.

This morning Cole Cubelic made a cryptic comment, possibly tongue in cheek, leading into a commercial break on his radio show. He said he thought AU would announce an OC hire within 24 hours and that the "Bob Jones" folks would be happy... what the heck is that about?

1 hour ago, Auctoritas said:

The argument is fallacious, still. It doesn't take "15 months" to get fixed because there are set, specific times that new blood can come in. Again, any QB that is available after signing day is probably not that great. It's not like Gus could have come to a realization in May or something and then gone out and found a replacement. Doubly so for it happening in fall camp, and 10x that for during the actual season. I still haven't heard what solution he should have come up with during the season when we were down to a statue, a cripple, and someone who kept trying to play basketball with the football - yeah, all 5 of the options had problems, but what was the immediate solution? At a certain point in the year your hands are tied - and that point is a lot closer to February than October.

I think he was relying on SW as baseline. He took a flyer on JF3 knowing that at worst we would have Sean to fall back on.  Maybe JF3 would shock everyone, but if he didn't we would be OK. 

Blame the whirlybird on him, the coxcat, the debacle of a Clemson plan, those are fair. But he had 4 viable qbs not including JF3. SW had proven his abilities - he just turned out to be more injury prone than any of us knew - and again, projecting injuries is a failure of clairvoyance, not QB coaching. 

I think he was saying 15 months because instead of spending time and resources recruiting JF3 -- an obvious hail mary -- they should've tried to land one of the guys who were out there that actually was a productive QB. Like Jerod Evans. It smelled like desperation going for JF3 IMO. It would've been closer to 3 months had we targeted a true QB.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It was not a high horse post. Even though the reply was to your post the message was for everyone. In hindsignt I could have done better by just making the post without quoting another post. My mistake on that.

:wareagle:

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

In order for this to happen Auburn needs to leave a HC alone. Give him full control regardless and let him sink or swim with the decisions he makes.

I absolutely agree.  That is something that should not even need to be said.  If you are going to hire a head coach AND pay a top 10 salary, it makes sense to stay out of his way for best results.  You will know soon enough whether or not you made a bad hire.  Interfering is far more likely to produce bad results than it is positive results.

Like others, I think that you stay out of head coach's assistant hiring decisions aside from salary and contract details.  If you lack faith in the head coach's competence to make a smart hiring decision, you might as well just fire him.

4 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

This morning Cole Cubelic made a cryptic comment, possibly tongue in cheek, leading into a commercial break on his radio show. He said he thought AU would announce an OC hire within 24 hours and that the "Bob Jones" folks would be happy... what the heck is that about?

Chip Lindsey. 

33 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My thought on Hand is that the only thing that really changed, bringing him this year, was the addition of stuff that made people want to pull their hair out.  That leads me to believe that there is a good reason that Gus went from Co-OC at Tulsa to OC to head coach, and Hand went from co-OC to O-line coach, and stayed there, for a reason.

good point

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

You being a Scottsboro guy would have nothing to do with this, right?

Haha, no I'm actually from North Jackson so Scottsboro is the rival school but I do attend games for both. He is an excellent coach though. 

2 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Haha, no I'm actually from North Jackson so Scottsboro is the rival school but I do attend games for both. He is an excellent coach though. 

Weren't University of Miami players talking crap about Nix after he left/was fired and the new OC was putting up numbers?

There are several schools in the SEC that are on the edge of the hot seat to unemployment:

1. Freeze at Ole Miss

2. Jones at UT

3. Sumlin at ATM

4. Odom at Mizzou

5. Gus at AU

6. Stoops at KY

7. Mason at Vandy

We are looking at 50% of all SEC teams in the same boat. Any of these teams that fail to win less than 7 and likely less than 8 or 9 for some on this list, we be in the market for a new coach. Any OC coming into the SEC could be in the same boat for each school. What will be needed to bring in a very good OC will likely involve paying him over $1 million and at least a 3 year contract that will have to be paid regardless if the HC is fired after next season. This is the way it works these days. If you want to bring in a gun slinger, you will have to pay him what I said a sentence ago. I would be willing to bet that there will be a lot of coaches in the SEC and other conferences that will be fired next season. The job of OC at Auburn is a good job that will pay someone a lot of money. Looking at this group of 7 teams, Auburn is at the top with what will be paid for a gunslinger OC. I do think that Gus will find his man and is taking his time to make sure he does this. I do not think that Gus is striking out on multiple OCs. I think he his making sure he gets this right and is not in some desperation mode grasping at straws with making his hire.

3 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Well he has taken a bottom feeder HS and turned them into a power after 1 year. He is a great QB coach imo, it shows with his Son.

Ah. Maybe his current ceiling is QB Coach then. Not bad at all and we actually may be in a position where we promote Hand to OC (ugh) and are in the market for a QB coach

Archived