Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

15 minutes ago, cctiger said:

And therein ls the sticking point. THEY do have a place at the table for sure, and they have anted up alright, it just didn't payoff as they thought in the hiring of Gus. So I think that the pay to play has about run it's course, in terms of ante-up.

Bingo!  They ponied up millions and they aren't happy with their ROI over the past 3 yrs.  So now they feel the need to micromanage their investment because they no longer have trust in the very men that are paying to run the show.:dead:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Haha, no I'm actually from North Jackson so Scottsboro is the rival school but I do attend games for both. He is an excellent coach though. 

Shouldn't you be NorthJackson-AuburnFan?? :)

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I think he was saying 15 months because instead of spending time and resources recruiting JF3 -- an obvious hail mary -- they should've tried to land one of the guys who were out there that actually was a productive QB. Like Jerod Evans. It smelled like desperation going for JF3 IMO. It would've been closer to 3 months had we targeted a true QB.

I think Woody will press for playing time in 2017. Giving him a redshirt was a hard decision to make, but a good one. From everything I have seen of him is that he is a hard worker and has a lot of upside that will show up in 2017. Gus will have his best group of QBs probably in his tenure as coach. Cam was great, but if had gotten seriously injured, we could have had a big problem. With JS, SW, and Woody, we have 3 good to excellent QBs.  I think Gus will use JFIII in various ways next season to add an extra threat to the offense. We have enough offensive talent for 2017 to be significantly better than 2014, 2015, and 2016. There is a lot to be positive for 2017 on both sides of the ball. I am not pumping sunshine, but just stepping back and trying to objectively take a look at what could happen in 2017. If we stay reasonably healthy all season, we will likely win 10 or more games.

35 minutes ago, cctiger said:

And therein ls the sticking point. THEY do have a place at the table for sure, and they have anted up alright, it just didn't payoff as they thought in the hiring of Gus. So I think that the pay to play has about run it's course, in terms of ante-up.

My point is that we appear to be struggling to find a high caliber OC.  If we throw enough money at someone, they'll come. The current situation of instability may require them to pay even more or back it with a guaranteed payment in the event of a system failure.  If they want to pay to play, then they need to pay more in order to keep playing.  If not, then they can take their money and go elsewhere.  

We need an OC because Gus has failed.  We are having trouble finding one because the power brokers have failed.  They need to fix what they've messed up!

10 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I think Woody will press for playing time in 2017. Giving him a redshirt was a hard decision to make, but a good one. From everything I have seen of him is that he is a hard worker and has a lot of upside that will show up in 2017. Gus will have his best group of QBs probably in his tenure as coach. Cam was great, but if had gotten seriously injured, we could have had a big problem. With JS, SW, and Woody, we have 3 good to excellent QBs.  I think Gus will use JFIII in various ways next season to add an extra threat to the offense. We have enough offensive talent for 2017 to be significantly better than 2014, 2015, and 2016. There is a lot to be positive for 2017 on both sides of the ball. I am not pumping sunshine, but just stepping back and trying to objectively take a look at what could happen in 2017. If we stay reasonably healthy all season, we will likely win 10 or more games.

You're right, doc in that we are set up beautifully for next season. If we get the right OC we seriously could win the whole damn thing. With the amount of production coming back from last year + Stidham our offense has the potential to be very potent. I am hoping like heck that Gus improves as being the main HC because this push and pull of him going from HC to CEO to OC/HC back to CEO and then back to OC again has done nothing in terms of helping him figure out what he needs to do other than showing him what he needs to NOT do.

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Are you serious Clarke?   He is so far behind the rest of the QB's a walk on may have a chance before him

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Are you serious Clarke?   He is so far behind the rest of the QB's a walk on may have a chance before him

very serious. Woody is a much better QB that you think he is. Sure he needs more work to get to where he needs to be, but the talent is there. I have not heard anything that indicates that he is as bad as you are making him to be. Give him a solid spring and a better understanding of this offense, and he will show the talent he has. I do think he will be 3rd in the pecking order behind SW and JS. However, if injuries happen, I think he could be a good backup that can come in and play. He is better than JFIII without a doubt.

30 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

There are several schools in the SEC that are on the edge of the hot seat to unemployment:

1. Freeze at Ole Miss

2. Jones at UT

3. Sumlin at ATM

4. Odom at Mizzou

5. Gus at AU

6. Stoops at KY

7. Mason at Vandy

We are looking at 50% of all SEC teams in the same boat. 

JMHO,

1. Freeze  - OM   This is a sinking boat of Titanic proportions if the NCAA ever decides to rule on the +5 yr investigation both Freeze and Bjork may be canned.

2. Jones - UT   Has his program tallying better W-L records over the last 2 years than any coach in the last decade.  They finished 9-4 in 2015 & 2016 with bowl wins both years.

3. Sumlin - aTm  That boat's taking on water, the fans are growing restless and the PTB are irritated.  He's shuffled the deck chairs a few times now and it's high time he produce.

4. Odom - Mizzou   He's only got one season under his belt.  He is not on the hot seat or in any jeopardy of losing his job.

5.  Gus - AU    Has shown inconsistency in the W-L column.  Brings in great talent - has deficiencies in his area of expertise. Fans growing restless and obviously the AU Administration has lost trust in his ability to run his own program.  

6.  Stoops - UK   Got his team to a bowl game for the first time since 2010 resulting in Stoops providing his own life preserver for another year or two.  It's "Kentucky", as long as Callapari rules SEC basketball like Saban rules SEC football - that's all their folks care about.

7.  Mason - Vandy   Has his team at a point were they can compete with many in the conference.  He's a great defensive coach and got Vandy to a bowl game for the first time since Franklin bolted to PSU.  His job is safe as long as he fields a team that can compete.

So in conclusion, OleMiss/aTm/Auburn are in a boat like Peter/James/John and they will need a miracle equal to Jesus walking on the water to save themselves from the stormy waves of the SEC.

Oh, forgot to mention Bert Buelimma (sp) at Arky....those folks absolutely have to be tired of that tub of lard.

25 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I think Woody will press for playing time in 2017. Giving him a redshirt was a hard decision to make, but a good one. From everything I have seen of him is that he is a hard worker and has a lot of upside that will show up in 2017. 

What have you seen from Woody?   

Seriously,  where can I go find this footage that shows he is ready to play QB at an SEC level?

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

JMHO,

1. Freeze  - OM   This is a sinking boat of Titanic proportions if the NCAA ever decides to rule on the +5 yr investigation both Freeze and Bjork may be canned.

2. Jones - UT   Has his program tallying better W-L records over the last 2 years than any coach in the last decade.  They finished 9-4 in 2015 & 2016 with bowl wins both years.

3. Sumlin - aTm  That boat's taking on water, the fans are growing restless and the PTB are irritated.  He's shuffled the deck chairs a few times now and it's high time he produce.

4. Odom - Mizzou   He's only got one season under his belt.  He is not on the hot seat or in any jeopardy of losing his job.

5.  Gus - AU    Has shown inconsistency in the W-L column.  Brings in great talent - has deficiencies in his area of expertise. Fans growing restless and obviously the AU Administration has lost trust in his ability to run his own program.  

6.  Stoops - UK   Got his team to a bowl game for the first time since 2010 resulting in Stoops providing his own life preserver for another year or two.  It's "Kentucky", as long as Callapari rules SEC basketball like Saban rules SEC football - that's all their folks care about.

7.  Mason - Vandy   Has his team at a point were they can compete with many in the conference.  He's a great defensive coach and got Vandy to a bowl game for the first time since Franklin bolted to PSU.  His job is safe as long as he fields a team that can compete.

So in conclusion, OleMiss/aTm/Auburn are in a boat like Peter/James/John and they will need a miracle equal to Jesus walking on the water to save themselves from the stormy waves of the SYEC.

Oh, forgot to mention Bert Buelimma (sp) at Arky....those folks absolutely have to be tired of that tub of lard.

You do make good points. However, if Jones has anything less than an 8-9 win seasons, his seat will start warming up a good deal. I think 2018 will be his make or break season though. IF KY has a 5 win season, he will be in deep dodo and 2018 will be his make or break season.

Looking at our talent, I think of all of the teams on this list, we likely have the best talent to work with.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

JMHO,

So in conclusion, OleMiss/aTm/Auburn are in a boat like Peter/James/John and they will need a miracle equal to Jesus walking on the water to save themselves from the stormy waves of the SEC.

Hoping like heck Sumlin stays at TAMU. If they get the right guy in there with those resources.....

Can we all take a moment to laugh at me for saying in 2013 that the next big coaching rivalry/matchup in the SEC was going to be Gus vs Sumlin?

13 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

very serious. Woody is a much better QB that you think he is. Sure he needs more work to get to where he needs to be, but the talent is there. I have not heard anything that indicates that he is as bad as you are making him to be. Give him a solid spring and a better understanding of this offense, and he will show the talent he has. I do think he will be 3rd in the pecking order behind SW and JS. However, if injuries happen, I think he could be a good backup that can come in and play. He is better than JFIII without a doubt.

this thread may help you

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

What have you seen from Woody?   

Seriously,  where can I go find this footage that shows he is ready to play QB at an SEC level?

If you will go back to the first of the season, Woody had some very good film on his ability. One thing that I will do will be to ask Ellitor what he thinks of Woody. I have always trusted his information. Most of the mods on this site have a good assessment of Woody. I have not seen anything that is proof positive that Woody is a bust. I think he is talented and can be a nice backup for 2017.  He is a talent in work no doubt. I have just not seen or read anything to indicate he is a bust.

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

If you will go back to the first of the season, Woody had some very good film on his ability. One thing that I will do will be to ask Ellitor what he thinks of Woody. I have always trusted his information. Most of the mods on this site have a good assessment of Woody. I have not seen anything that is proof positive that Woody is a bust. I think he is talented and can be a nice backup for 2017.  He is a talent in work no doubt. I have just not seen or read anything to indicate he is a bust.

Too early to say if he's a bust, but refer to the thread link @auburnphan posted above. That's the word on Woody right now

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

Jones - UT   Has his program tallying better W-L records over the last 2 years than any coach in the last decade.  They finished 9-4 in 2015 & 2016 with bowl wins both years.

But he is suffering from the same problem Gus is... he has a bunch of big pocket boosters who continually compare him to Fulmer... plus he looks like a world beater at some point during the season only to crap the bed and not even make the SEC Championship game. He's far from safe, though one could argue that he should be.

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

Odom - Mizzou   He's only got one season under his belt.  He is not on the hot seat or in any jeopardy of losing his job.

Plus, Missouri is far more worried about keeping their school open to put much effort into caring about their football coach.  Is he fielding a team? Check. On to bigger problems.

14 minutes ago, keesler said:

Mason - Vandy   Has his team at a point were they can compete with many in the conference.  He's a great defensive coach and got Vandy to a bowl game for the first time since Franklin bolted to PSU.  His job is safe as long as he fields a team that can compete.

I think Mason may actually be the coach to watch in the SEC. He's taken a bunch of "also rans" and taught them to believe that they can win in the SEC... and they have. 

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

Confirmed with several Arkansas fans.  He makes a respectable showing this year or it's back to the Big 10.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Can we all take a moment to laugh at me for saying in 2013 that the next big coaching rivalry/matchup in the SEC was going to be Gus vs Sumlin?

You were right... you just didn't know the competition would be the coach with the most QB troubles.

Woody came in late then was hurt and got behind then also has some freshman adjustment issues that many students have.  I think this Spring is when we will see if he can compete. I am not talking about being the starter or even the 1st backup but seeing if he has the talent and work ethic to become an SEC QB.  I know many said he had a lot of work to do to become an SEC QB hopefully by June we will have a better feeling of where he is at.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Please take QB talk to the QB thread!

Hahaha! I feel like you spend most of your time on here telling people to talk about QB's elsewhere. Move along.....you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here....nothing to see here folks. It's like herding cattle. 

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You were right... you just didn't know the competition would be the coach with the most QB troubles.

lolol I'll take credit for it thanks, lion.

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

Going down that path... Who would be on your list for a QB coach? How about Streeter from Clemson?

Tiptoeing carefully down this path - a thinking man's QB coach to pair up with ole Herb (should Gus go that route) would be Tim Rattay (La Tech). (MOST major college position coaches learn on the job). Unfortunately the media is not made up of "thinking men".

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/college/la-tech/2016/11/11/la-tech-offense-transformation/93630254/

I doubt Brandon Streeter would leave Clemson for Auburn unless it was a step up.

Archived