Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Doesn't matter. There are a few coaches each year that move on from a new job without ever coaching a down to take a bigger/better job.

Absolutely, happened to is matter a fact. Remember the guy hired by either Gus or Chiz (I forget which year) that then took a job with the Dallas Cowboys? Maybe Special Teams or something like that. Happens all the time. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think some are missing the big story here. Gus and Rhett were very tight, for this to happen it is clear that outside force came to bare. I think that it is quite obvious that JJ has spoken with Gus. We will be told that was not the case but it was. I am sure Gus has been informed that another season such as this one will result in him being unemployed. That gives me some hope in that Gus knows he needs to step back and let someone else make some improvement to this offense. He has to decide if he wants to be an OC or HC. If he doesn't change he will be out and probably never sniff another decent HC job, so he will be back in the OC job hunting group. I think Rhett will get a good shot at a HC position if he can do his job at UCONN. May be the best move he ever made. WDE

I don't know if I agree with this. There may have been other factors but what Rhett said makes sense to me. I think he did need to prove his coaching ability without Gus to prove that he wasn't the yes man.

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Absolutely, happened to is matter a fact. Remember the guy hired by either Gus or Chiz (I forget which year) that then took a job with the Dallas Cowboys? Maybe Special Teams or something like that. Happens all the time. 

rich bisaccia

Bisaccia_Rich.jpg

If we are going to rule out AB we better do our research on all of the names being thrown around.  Being a high school coach in Alabama, I know of a leading candidates baggage that in my opinion is worse than Briles. But its not public knowledge.  If he is hired and you live in Auburn hide your daughters.  It may end up like Auburns version of Joey Freshwaters escapades at that other school.

12 minutes ago, irontiger said:

If we are going to rule out AB we better do our research on all of the names being thrown around.  Being a high school coach in Alabama, I know of a leading candidates baggage that in my opinion is worse than Briles. But its not public knowledge.  If he is hired and you live in Auburn hide your daughters.  It may end up like Auburns version of Joey Freshwaters escapades at that other school.

Spit it out...  propst?

Just now, corchjay said:

Spit it out...  propst?

Everybody in a 5 state radius knows about Rush Probst.  That's no secret.  

15 minutes ago, irontiger said:

Art isn't going to get hire.  Too much damage control would need to be done. KB on the other hand ...I am very intrigued with .

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Art isn't going to get hire.  Too much damage control would need to be done. KB on the other hand ...I am very intrigued with .

If Art knew then Kendal knew...

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Agree. But feel that it'll likely be Lindsey. 

What's very telling about this is how many people believe this is the best move Rhett could have made and how little confidence there is in Gus.  I tend to agree with most of that and hope this move is also a good thing for Gus to get out of his comfort zone, adapt and expand his offense and move us forward.  We certainly have the personnel in place talent-wise to do so and there really won't be any excuses if we don't.  The question is, with a new OC and QB how much is the AU Family going to put up with next year and what will be deemed a reasonable year and step forward.  

50 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

Let's look at it this way...if you or I or most of the posters on this board took a pay cut of 1/2, we'd probably be in real bad shape.  Rhett is a football coach, he can go from making 300K to 1.3MM at the drop of a hat.  Most of us do not have that luxury.  I just really think the drop in $$ is not that important for someone in his profession.

Let's see..Muschamp took more than a million dollar pay cut to come to AU.  He probably could have gotten a HC job elsewhere, smaller school or whatever for more money....but he got it back in a year.    As noted, sports salaries are not real money.....certainly not real life for most of us at least.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I thought our compliance dept already nixed KB?

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If Art knew then Kendal knew...

Wait what ? I am confused.  If art knew what ?

3 minutes ago, Auburn4life said:

I hope it's Jake Spavital

No thanks.  He was terrible at TAMU.  They were more than glad to see him go.

Just now, Weagle99 said:

That's the rumor... but now we may know that the rumor was unfounded because the reason we didn't hire him as QB coach was because we were hiring an OC instead.

Just now, Weagle99 said:

I haven't read anywhere of that being the case nor have I heard any insiders point to that . I don't see why or how they would nix him anyway . Guilty by association shouldn't be enough to nix a potential candidate.

54 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No one was rolling their eyes in 2013... There may be no way to know, with the changes happening now, but I believe that we would have been world beaters again, next year, even if there wasn't a change in staff. The lack of key personnel showed the deficiencies in Gus as a coach. I'm sure the same could have happened to Spurrier, or any other coach.

was that the exception or rule though? that was 4 years ago. Spurrier won 11 games with stephen garcia as his QB and beat the number 1 team in the country with him. dude can just flat out coach.  Spurrier did not need to win a lot of games with great qb play. give him solid and he is doing things.

1 minute ago, Weagle99 said:

they did, but things can be reconsidered, more information obtained, FAU took no fallout for hiring him in the media

I wish we could get from under coaches under Gus's tree b/c many are not proven. It would be nice to go outside of the "network" to really shake things up on offense but that's likely wishful thinking on my part. 

1 minute ago, Weagle99 said:

I've not heard that personally, I don't even recall any of the insiders here say that as well. Could have missed it though of course. Mostly just heard wild speculation across the board. 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

That's the rumor... but now we may know that the rumor was unfounded because the reason we didn't hire him as QB coach was because we were hiring an OC instead.

Someone did say no to it. Not sure how much he is being listened to now.

1 minute ago, AEAugirl said:

No thanks.  He was terrible at TAMU.  They were more than glad to see him go.

And now they see the grass is not always greener. Fan bases, so fickle . People on this thread were salivating over Lincoln Riley but the OU people I have came in contact with do not like him. I am starting to think this OC hate is rampant all over .

Archived