Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just now, gctiger said:

I don't necessarily disagree but I'm curious who you would have placed on that committee to represent Aunurn's interest?

a competent AD who does not need a committee is my pick.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sportstiger said:

If we hired God as our HC  or OC people still would not be satisfied! !

Would say his offense is too prictable and not direct enough at press conferences 

49 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

wanting more than 8-5 seasons is sad and embarrassing? We backdoored in to the sugar bowl after the worst sec conference as a whole has looked in some time. Excuse some of us for wanting more. Its also not just the record its how we looked in the games we lost. Georgia and clemson particularly. Both games we should of won if not for asinine coaching displays that is not the first time from gus nor will it be the last.

They did not back into the sugar bowl. They were the second highest ranked SEC team. That warranted a Sugar Bowl bid. You may have not liked the way the season unfolded but to say these players/coaches  backed into something is not fair, I am sure their aspirations were far higher than what Joe Auburn fan had and they had to put in the work to get it done...

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Jacobs covered his ass with the Gus hire though, he got the expertise opinion of Bo Jackson, Pat Sullivan, and Mac Crawford to help him with the coaching search and they all unanimously signed off on the hire of CGM.  They canned a man that "exemplified the Auburn Creed" and they used a group of true "Auburn Men" to find his replacement.  

The PTB should much, if not most of the blame for the current state of affairs with the football program.  

Well JJ has his ass in a crack at the moment

8 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

They did not back into the sugar bowl. They were the second highest ranked SEC team. That warranted a Sugar Bowl bid. You may have not liked the way the season unfolded but to say these players/coaches  backed into something is not fair, I am sure their aspirations were far higher than what Joe Auburn fan had and they had to put in the work to get it done...

I am NOT bashing the players at all. We have a super talented roster that our head coach is not getting the most out of their abilities out of. 

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

We should not be picked to be last in the Sec west. That is the first issue. 

^^This!!!! Some want to say we overachieved because we were picked last in the West without examining WHY we were picked to finish last.

Just now, PigskinPat said:

^^This!!!! Some want to say we overachieved because we were picked last in the West without examining WHY we were picked to finish last.

how the heck did we overachieve?! we got 1 game better!!! 1 frickin game! WOOO HOOO!!!! 8-5 baby! they want us to celebrate......I agree with all of your points. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

how the heck did we overachieve?! we got 1 game better!!! 1 frickin game! WOOO HOOO!!!! 8-5 baby! they want us to celebrate......I agree with all of your points. 

I agree with you, I'm speaking to overachieving in regards to how we finished in the West.

Just now, PigskinPat said:

I agree with you, I'm speaking to overachieving in regards to how we finished in the West.

My fault fam! I was just speaking to the same people you are talking about.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am NOT bashing the players at all. We have a super talented roster that our head coach is not getting the most out of their abilities out of. 

Easy there...talented yes...but there are major depth and youth concerns. The loss of Roc, Peyton and Jovon hurt big time. After KAM and Kj got nicked it was no one. The receivers best talent was young. QB was basically one person. No depth at HB after Cox. The best talent and experience rested on the oline which ironically were the two units who performed the best. We can cherry pick the roster and find talent, but there are places where it is very young and places where quality depth is a major issue.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Easy there...talented yes...but there are major depth and youth concerns. The loss of Roc, Peyton and Jovon hurt big time. After KAM and Kj got nicked it was no one. The receivers best talent was young. QB was basically one person. No depth at HB after Cox. The best talent and experience rested on the oline which ironically were the two units who performed the best. We can cherry pick the roster and find talent, but there are places where it is very young and places where quality depth is a major issue.

which also lays at the feet of the head coach.

What about this guy.

Doug Meacham joined the TCU football staff as offensive coordinator in December 2013.

In each of his two seasons, the Horned Frogs’ offensive attack has ranked among the nation’s best.

In 2015, for the second straight year, TCU set single-season school records in several major statistical categories. Additionally, the Horned Frogs ranked third nationally in total offense (562.8 yards per game) and seventh in scoring (42.1 points per game).

In his first season at TCU, Meacham helped the Horned Frogs become the nation’s most improved offense in total yards (+188.2 ypg) and scoring (+21.4 ppg). TCU’s 21.4 points per game improvement broke the Big 12 record of 19.1 set by Oklahoma in 1999 (35.8; 16.7, 1998) and was the largest improvement by any team since Northwestern went up 24.0 points between 1999-00.

The 2014 Horned Frogs ranked second in the nation in scoring (46.5 ppg) and tied for fifth in total offense (533.0 ypg). TCU set 26 school records for offense in winning its first Big 12 championship as well as the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.

Meacham was a 2014 finalist for the Broyles Award, recognizing the nation’s top assistant coach.

Meacham came to the Horned Frogs after serving as co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Houston in the 2013 season.

TCU marks the sixth school that Meacham has been an offensive coordinator. In addition to his role at Houston, Meacham coordinated offenses at Samford (2002-04), Henderson State (1999-00), Jacksonville State (1997-99) and Georgia Military (1994-96).

Prior to arriving at Houston, Meacham spent eight seasons (2005-12) as the tight ends/inside receivers coach at Oklahoma State. He was the Cowboys’ passing game coordinator in the 2008-09 campaigns. Meacham was part of two of the most successful eras in Oklahoma State football history, first as a student-athlete (1984-87) and then during his tenure as an assistant coach. As a student-athlete, Meacham was teammates with TCU wide receivers coach Curtis Luper.

The Cowboys ranked in the top 10 nationally in offense and averaged at least 40 points in five of Meacham’s last six seasons in Stillwater. Oklahoma State was in the top five in the country in total offense in the 2010-12 campaigns, when it scored more than 50 points 15 times, broke the 60-point mark in seven contests, 70 points twice and the 80-point plateau once.

Meacham coached 2012 first-team All-Big 12 receiver Josh Stewart into one of the best sophomore seasons in OSU history with 101 catches for 1,210 yards and seven touchdowns. Stewart’s 101 receptions were the fourth-most in school history and his 1,210 receiving yards trailed only Justin Blackmon (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Dez Bryant (Dallas Cowboys) on the all-time OSU list for sophomore wideouts.

Inside receiver Josh Cooper (Cleveland Browns) and tight end Brandon Pettigrew (Detroit Lions) were among other OSU standouts coached directly by Meacham.

Meacham was instrumental in establishing a record-setting offense at Samford. He directed an attack in 2004 that set several school records, including passing yards (2,986), pass completions (256) and completion percentage (59.8).

Prior to Samford, Meacham worked the same kind of magic at Henderson State, where he was offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. During the 2000 season, Meacham coached an offense that broke two Division II national passing and receiving records, four Gulf South Conference marks and nine school passing and receiving records.

Meacham’s history of record-breaking offenses, however, began even before his stint at Henderson. Upon joining the staff at Jacksonville State in 1997, the Gamecocks went 7-4 and recorded the biggest turnaround in Division I-AA. During his tenure at Jacksonville State, Meacham’s offensive unit broke 21 school passing and receiving records.

Meacham also spent three years as the offensive coordinator at Georgia Military College. He first joined the GMC staff in 1991 and served as offensive line and tight ends coach. In 1994, he was promoted to offensive coordinator and helped guide the school to an impressive 35-8 record during his tenure.

During his playing days at Oklahoma State, Meacham was on teams that participated in four bowl games (1983 Bluebonnet, 1984 Gator, 1985 Gator and 1987 Sun). He was a three-year starter on the offensive line for the Cowboys and had a string of 35 consecutive starts. During his Oklahoma State playing career, the Cowboys fashioned an overall record of 34-9.

Meacham earned all-Big Eight honors and was an honorable mention All-American as a senior. He was a captain of the 1987 Sun Bowl team that defeated West Virginia. Meacham blocked for both 1988 Heisman Trophy winner Barry Sanders and two-time Big Eight Player of the Year Thurman Thomas.

In high school, Meacham was a three-year starter and two-time all-district selection at Arlington’s Sam Houston High School.

Meacham was born on Dec. 16, 1964, in Arlington, Texas. He is married to the former Kendall Deas and they have three children: Peyton, Cole and Brooks.

I hadn't really thought much of the talk of a possible NFL OC, but the more this drags on and the seemingly lack of worry from the recruits I have to think that he/they know something. And the only explanation for knowing but not hiring at this point would be they are still playing. Otherwise I have to wonder how Gus is pulling this off with the parents of some of these offensive players.

Just now, AU-Allen said:

I hadn't really thought much of the talk of a possible NFL OC, but the more this drags on and the seemingly lack of worry from the recruits I have to think that he/they know something. And the only explanation for knowing but not hiring at this point would be they are still playing. Otherwise I have to wonder how Gus is pulling this off with the parents of some of these offensive players.

OR this is like the 2011/12 search and gus is striking out on everyone. 

44 minutes ago, sportstiger said:

If we hired God as our HC  or OC people still would not be satisfied! !

If AU hired God to be HC Nick Saban would burst into flames and Tuscaloosa, AL & Athens, GA would crumble into dust.

....and yes, some here would still complain.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

OR this is like the 2011/12 search and gus is striking out on everyone. 

I just don't think that is the case, we are not the worst  school in the world and we have talent, and probably what will be one of the hottest QBs  in the league, our D is pretty strong. I don't see what the huge downside is here. Also Money doesn't seem to be a huge issue. I could be wrong, but I think something else is out there. If not Gus is one solid man in the homes of these recruits and in convincing these parents that he will hire the right guy. 

1 minute ago, AU-Allen said:

I just don't think that is the case, we are not the worst  school in the world and we have talent, and probably what will be one of the hottest QBs  in the league, our D is pretty strong. I don't see what the huge downside is here. Also Money doesn't seem to be a huge issue. I could be wrong, but I think something else is out there. If not Gus is one solid man in the homes of these recruits and in convincing these parents that he will hire the right guy. 

chizik was not on the hot seat like gus is now and we got stuck with frickin loeffler.

51 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I don't necessarily disagree but I'm curious who you would have placed on that committee to represent Auburn's interest?

Who placed those 3 guys on the committee in the 1st place and why?  

wde

The longer this drags out, the more it worries me about who Gus will end up hiring. One of his buddies from his Tulsa or Arkansas State days.

30 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well JJ has his ass in a crack at the moment

I hope so, but I won't believe it until someone fires/retires/reassigns his fambly ass.

wde

7 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

I would go so far to say that the QB argument is fallacious at best, silly at worst. The premise is, apparently, that a QB coach could take any of us here with eligibility and spend a summer and then magically we are a game ready QB. There is only so much someone can do with the materials at hand. Beyond that, what was RL or CGM supposed to do? Spring practice happens after signing day - and does anyone think any QB still remaining unsigned in freakin April or August is going to be the answer we needed? Was he supposed to kidnap and dress up johnny manziel in a fake mustache and glasses and pass him off as a freshman walk on?

"He should have recruited better!" Hell, he brought in TWO qbs to go along with a returning starter! I mean, I can understand being mad that SW got injured and there not being a viable backup, but I think blaming Gus for it is being mad at him for not being clairvoyant. 

Recruiting misses happen. Nobody thought JJ was going to have the problems he had - and I will go a step further and say since JJs best games have come in situations where he had to come in in relief, I will argue that it was reasonable to assume we had a viable backup QB already. But then JJ regressed further, JF3 didn't progress like NM or Cam did, and Woody Barrett couldn't pick up the offense fast enough to make a difference for the season (at least in terms of burning a redshirt for 1 or 2 games). 

So I take it that you find no fault if the coach recruits players that don't work in his system ? Do you blame a coach for anything ? Bottom line is we pay Gus a lot of money to win ballgames, like it or not. So the last 3 years have not met the standard that we paid for. Remember we are paying him in the top 10% of the coaches in D1. There is and should be that we win in that same neighborhood. I can understand giving someone time to build a program and I think Gus has been given that time. Plain and simple he has not delivered. This experiment will not work as I said earlier. Gus won't let it. Come next December we will hunting for the next HC at AU. Hopefully with a new President, he will decide it is time for a new AD to lead that hunt. WDE

Archived