Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

10 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Who placed those 3 guys on the committee in the 1st place and why?  

wde

To be fair for the guys on the committee, they like a lot of us gave Gus credit for his job here as an OC. I also felt he could do the job. He did a good job at Arky St. as a HC. Problem is Gus started over thinking himself after 2013, much like Chizic did after 2010. He could do a good job if he could fix his mental problem, I have no doubt. The thing is that he can't fix his mental problem because he doesn't think he has one. He won't see the problem until he is fired and away from the program a couple of months and then he will see how he screwed it up.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

No one has ever proclaimed that Jay Jacobs is the only stupid one.  The fact that you are using the Arky program as an equal comparison to our program tells it all. 

Wde

I think the  comparison to Arky is like comparing prunes to Exlax. Both can make you crap but have different tastes. 

I agree that Gus is on the hot seat but I think with what we have net year and our schedule it shouldn't be a hard sell. I don't know why this has taken so long ( I assume Gus wanted someone they wouldn't let him hire). If that is true then this is as much on the AD department as anyone. We are loaded next year and you can say what you want but Gus was the HC that got us loaded. I think we win the SEC next year and at least make it to the playoff no matter who we get as OC.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburn_offensive_coordinator_s_4.html#incart_river_index

Source aufamily??

By James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com AL.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on January 20, 2017 at 7:15 PM, updated January 20, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Auburn's offensive coordinator search, nearing the end of its ninth day, is hinging on a high stakes showdown over power and control between coach Gus Malzahn and those with influence over the program, a source told AL.com.

Malzahn, who enters a pivotal fifth season leading the program, had a short list of candidates to succeed Rhett Lashlee, who left for the same position at UConn on Jan. 11.

That short list included former Baylor offensive coordinator Kendal Briles and Arizona State offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and North Carolina State offensive coordinator Eliah Drinkwitz, both of who have worked under Malzahn. AuburnSports.com also reported Lindsey and Drinkwitz were among Malzahn's preferred candidates.

A source indicated those candidates did not receive a favorable reaction from people with influence over the program, who felt Briles, now at Florida Atlantic, lacks experience and Lindsey and Drinkwitz, while familiar with Malzahn's offense were also too close to him.

A list of preferred candidates was provided to Malzahn by athletic director Jay Jacobs, the source said, which was composed of comparatively more experienced coaches, including the Texas A&M's Noel Mazzone, who reportedly went from the possible lead candidate to staying in College Station in a matter of hours on Thursday.

Attempts to reach Jacobs, who was at the NCAA convention in Nashville this week, have been unsuccessful.

With Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich pulling his name from consideration, Mazzone staying put, former Oregon coach Mark Helfrich preferring to wait for a head coaching opportunity, Jake Spavital landing at West Virginia and several other prominent offensive coordinators rumored to have been at least considered, if not offered the job, where Auburn goes next is unclear.

Malzahn is understandably comfortable with Lindsey, a former head coach at multiple Alabama high schools and analyst at Auburn in 2013, and Drinkwitz, his running backs coach at Arkansas State in 2012 and offensive coordinator at Boise State in 2015 and NC State last season.

Though with Auburn experiencing offensive struggles in 2015 and a 1-3 finish to 2016, the program's powerbrokers wanting the new hire to offer a different perspective is not irrational either.

With less than 12 days to national signing day, the critical hire could down to a test of wills.

1 hour ago, sportstiger said:

If we hired God as our HC  or OC people still would not be satisfied! !

Depends, what's his passing tree like?

8 minutes ago, aublaise said:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburn_offensive_coordinator_s_4.html#incart_river_index

Source aufamily??

By James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com AL.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on January 20, 2017 at 7:15 PM, updated January 20, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Auburn's offensive coordinator search, nearing the end of its ninth day, is hinging on a high stakes showdown over power and control between coach Gus Malzahn and those with influence over the program, a source told AL.com.

Malzahn, who enters a pivotal fifth season leading the program, had a short list of candidates to succeed Rhett Lashlee, who left for the same position at UConn on Jan. 11.

That short list included former Baylor offensive coordinator Kendal Briles and Arizona State offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and North Carolina State offensive coordinator Eliah Drinkwitz, both of who have worked under Malzahn. AuburnSports.com also reported Lindsey and Drinkwitz were among Malzahn's preferred candidates.

A source indicated those candidates did not receive a favorable reaction from people with influence over the program, who felt Briles, now at Florida Atlantic, lacks experience and Lindsey and Drinkwitz, while familiar with Malzahn's offense were also too close to him.

A list of preferred candidates was provided to Malzahn by athletic director Jay Jacobs, the source said, which was composed of comparatively more experienced coaches, including the Texas A&M's Noel Mazzone, who reportedly went from the possible lead candidate to staying in College Station in a matter of hours on Thursday.

Attempts to reach Jacobs, who was at the NCAA convention in Nashville this week, have been unsuccessful.

With Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich pulling his name from consideration, Mazzone staying put, former Oregon coach Mark Helfrich preferring to wait for a head coaching opportunity, Jake Spavital landing at West Virginia and several other prominent offensive coordinators rumored to have been at least considered, if not offered the job, where Auburn goes next is unclear.

Malzahn is understandably comfortable with Lindsey, a former head coach at multiple Alabama high schools and analyst at Auburn in 2013, and Drinkwitz, his running backs coach at Arkansas State in 2012 and offensive coordinator at Boise State in 2015 and NC State last season.

Though with Auburn experiencing offensive struggles in 2015 and a 1-3 finish to 2016, the program's powerbrokers wanting the new hire to offer a different perspective is not irrational either.

With less than 12 days to national signing day, the critical hire could down to a test of wills.

This is the type of media garbage that can turn a deal the other way. Crepea stinks. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Depends, what's his passing tree like?

I am certain it is more diverse and complex than the tree of Gus in all aspects of football.

wde

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Maybe this article is what Marcelo is crying about on the Twitter.

No. He's crying about a radio station.

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well his tree has many routes

I am not asking for a passing god/savant as an OC, I just want one that has more than one branch on the passing tree.

wde

IMO, if that article is true, I believe CGM should walk out now. It's his team, he should make the hire he wants to make. If the ship sinks, so be it. Meddling from the powers that be is an age old problem at AU.

1 minute ago, aubie57 said:

IMO, if that article is true, I believe CGM should walk out now. It's his team, he should make the hire he wants to make. If the ship sinks, so be it. Meddling from the powers that be is an age old problem at AU.

Amen brother,  these were my sentiments exactly . You don't provide a list of preferred candidates to the head coach that's reducing him to nothing. He gets to choose his own staff and then sink or swim. Whoever it is has to be congruent in offensive philosophy with CGM.

5 minutes ago, aubie57 said:

Should've played hard ball to begin with 

I sure hope Auburn doesn't turn into Texas with boosters meddling where they shouldn't.  I would never want to coach there and I truely believe Texas' boosters are the reason Strong did not succeed at Texas.

Let Malzahn make the hire his way.  He has hired quality people so far, so why distrust him?

6 minutes ago, aubie57 said:

But it happens everywhere. Unless he wins big consistently there is no where he can go without dealing with meddling.

welp, as much as i want a new HC, i am in coach double bubbles corner on this issue....he should be able to hire who he wants and jethro jacobs needs to be in a broom closet looking for cobwebs....same ole auburn, and its been like this for decades......i have no doubt that malzahn is a lame duck now

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I sure hope Auburn doesn't turn into Texas with boosters meddling where they shouldn't.  I would never want to coach there and I truely believe Texas' boosters are the reason Strong did not succeed at Texas.

Let Malzahn make the hire his way.  He has hired quality people so far, so why distrust him?

AU PTBs have been meddling for a very long time like most schools PTBs do.

1 minute ago, tombigbeetiger said:

welp, as much as i want a new HC, i am in coach double bubbles corner on this issue....he should be able to hire who he wants and jethro jacobs needs tobe a broom closet looking for cobwebs....same ole auburn, and its been like this for decades......i have no doubt that malzahn is a lame duck now

He has his own cob webs though.

This is the same thing that bammer went through until they hit rock bottom and finally gave in and let their choice for HC RUN THE ENTIRE FOOTBALL PROGRAM WITHOUT INTERFERENCE!!!

Archived