Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just now, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

This is the same thing that bammer went through until they hit rock bottom and finally gave in and let their choice for HC RUN THE ENTIRE FOOTBALL PROGRAM WITHOUT INTERFERENCE!!!

NS demanded it from all accounts 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

This is the same thing that bammer went through until they hit rock bottom and finally gave in and let their choice for HC RUN THE ENTIRE FOOTBALL PROGRAM WITHOUT INTERFERENCE!!!

They didn't give it. He earned it with Ws. Just like with us fans, the best way to get big money people to shut the heck up is by putting a lot of wins on the board consistently.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

NS demanded it from all accounts 

Would have fallen on some deaf ears in their PTBs if he did not win big & show promise in the program in 2009.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

They didn't give it. He earned it with Ws. Just like with us fans the best way to get big money people to shut up is by putting a lot of wins on the board consistently.

It was either Goldmine of PMarsh that ran an article about how this has crippled the program after the first year of a new coach getting free reign and then handcuffing him. Great results in the first year, then going downhill the second, third and fourth.

1 minute ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

It was either Goldmine of PMarsh that ran an article about how this has crippled the program after the first year of a new coach getting free reign and then handcuffing him. Great results in the first year, then going downhill the second, third and fourth.

Well Gus caused some of his own problems by tightening the controll & not letting his offensive assistants coach their positions near as much as he let them in 2013.

1 minute ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Exactly ....now what legitimate coach would come here only to be handcuffed from day one. I personally don't think it happens everywhere...it's like Auburn can't get out of its on way. Let him do it his way and if it does work to your expectation let him go. Anyway I have seen this movie before and already know the ending .

With Gus visiting recruits this week, doesn't look like he is going to pull "a Bowden" and quit.  We are loaded next year and any OC will look like a genius if we stay healthy.  

I wonder if this is a contest to see who blinks first.  If the PTB do blink, I wonder if we back up a truck full of cash at Briles' doorstep in FAU.   I am guessing that was choice #1 of Gus.  Seems possible.  If it works - Boom!  If not, Gus is gone and so is any perceived risk.  10 months...easy greasy.  I like this.

I still think the OC at Tx Tech should be vetted.  Eric Morris

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

With Gus visiting recruits this week, doesn't look like he is going to pull "a Bowden" and quit.

Gus is too dang stubborn to quit.

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I wonder if this is a contest to see who blinks first.  If the PTB do blink, I wonder if we back up a truck full of cash at Briles' doorstep in FAU.   I am guessing that was choice #1 of Gus.

If the PTB blinks it's likely Lindsey IMO.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Gus is too dang stubborn to quit.

If the PTB blinks it's likely Lindsey IMO.

So what is it...is this a hire he gets to make or a hire he is told to make....

People are intervening because we actually have a chance to compete next year (Stidham, young top-level receivers, Pettway/Johnson, etc) and they don't want to see that go to waste in the case that Gus wants to bring one of his HS students to "run" the offense while he devises some more HS caliber plays and gameplans that revolve around FB trick plays.

Like it or not Gus already got the chance to make his own unquestioned hires last offseason (including running off an elite recruiter who also happened to be an alum), he then spent all summer talking about how the offense was on the same page, and they still flopped.  With faltering offensive performance and a chance to actually compete next year, he's going to enjoy less freedom this time around.

Even with the "meddling" he might still get his guy (Chip Lindsey) in the end.

29 minutes ago, aubie57 said:

IMO, if that article is true, I believe CGM should walk out now. It's his team, he should make the hire he wants to make. If the ship sinks, so be it. Meddling from the powers that be is an age old problem at AU.

Agree and then hold a press conference  and publicly name said members meddling. 

22 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

LOL,if what you say is true (and I don't really disagree), spuat's rock bottom is our normal in terms of wins and losses regarding football if you are refering to the Shula years at spuat.  AU is just as much a football factory as spuat, we just are simply not as good at it.

wde

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

People are intervening because we actually have a chance to compete next year (Stidham, young top-level receivers, Pettway/Johnson, etc) and they don't want to see that go to waste in the case that Gus wants to bring one of his HS students to "run" the offense while he devises some more HS caliber plays and gameplans that revolve around FB trick plays.

Like it or not Gus already got the chance to make his own unquestioned hires last offseason (including running off an elite recruiter who also happened to be an alum), he then spent all summer talking about how the offense was on the same page, and they still flopped.  With faltering offensive performance and a chance to actually compete next year, he's going to enjoy less freedom this time around.

Even with the "meddling" he might still get his guy (Chip Lindsey) in the end.

Yep. 

wde

If what I hear is true that Gus is intentionally stonewalling the hire because he wants one of his yes men guppies, then I would be in favor of JJ just firing Gus now and Making Kevin HC with a one year contract to see what he can do. I am tired of Gus and his immature games. Let him take his money and go franchise a Huddle house because he sure ain't a D1 HC.

I could be wrong, I believe CNS has had full control inside the football building in west Vance from day 1. He obviously hasn't buried himself. I honestly think CGM, would bury himself, I think he has "1 foot in the grave" from his past decisions now. I still think, regardless if I truly think he's capable, it's his call to make, not be told who to hire. I'm tired of the revolving door at HC. I really wish Malzahn would get out his own way, be the HC, and let the offense go. I couldn't care less who the OC is. Just win. 

19 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Gus hasn't earned that right unfortunately. IF his plan (A) was Chip Lindsey and plan (B) Eliah Drinkwitz, then I totally get why the PTB are stepping in. I'm not saying those aren't viable options, but they're definitely not where you should start a search after all the criticism that he received while Lashlee was here.

Gus should be able to hire who he wants, but if that's who he feels is the BEST candidate for Offensive Coordinator for Auburn Football, then he is WAY over his head and shouldn't be trusted with the keys to his hall closet, let alone our Football team.

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

If what I hear is true that Gus is intentionally stonewalling the hire because he wants one of his yes men guppies, then I would be in favor of JJ just firing Gus now and Making Kevin HC with a one year contract to see what he can do. I am tired of Gus and his immature games. Let him take his money and go franchise a Huddle house because he sure ain't a D1 HC.

Personally I'd rather see Gus get who he wants regardless of who it is? If he fails he has no one to blame but himself.  If the PTB influences or chooses the OC then IMO failure is not on Gus. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No. In my opinion, Gus is not a good HC.  But allowing Jay Jacobs to fire Gus and hire another HC for the AU football program would be far worse than letting Gus get anothore year or two.  Fire Jay Jacobs first, hopefully hire a competent AD and move forward.

wde

2 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Gus hasn't earned that right unfortunately. IF his plan (A) was Chip Lindsey and plan (B) Eliah Drinkwitz, then I totally get why the PTB are stepping in. I'm not saying those aren't viable options, but they're definitely not where you should start a search after all the criticism that he received while Lashlee was here.

Gus should be able to hire who he wants, but if that's who he feels is the BEST candidate for Offensive Coordinator for Auburn Football, then he is WAY over his head and shouldn't be trusted with the keys to his hall closet, let alone our Football team.

Then fire him! It's BS to expect a HC to let non-football power brokers make hiring decisions when they couldn't coach their ass out of a phone booth. I'm not defending Gus but this expectation makes zero sense.

19 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

So what is it...is this a hire he gets to make or a hire he is told to make....

That my friend is the $64 million dollar question. Appears to be a big stale mate behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, Always4Auburn said:

Bunch of damn cry babies on here.

really?

2 minutes ago, AU04ever said:

Personally I'd rather see Gus get who he wants regardless of who it is? If he fails he has no one to blame but himself.  If the PTB influences or chooses the OC then IMO failure is not on Gus. 

What part of this do you not understand? Last year Gus was told that things needed to change, they even suggested that maybe he needed an OC with some maturity to actually run the offense. Gus balked and said if he could have coaches he wanted then it would improve. So out goes experience in Craig and Grimes (not to mention recruiting) to be replaced with Gus's yes men Hand and Kodi. One year later no improvement in where we are headed. So now you think we ought to just let him make "his" choices again and see if the results change. Einstein said the was the definition of insanity. No he had his chance so he makes the changes that knowledgeable people are proposing or he takes a hike. 

Ok...I have read 2-3 times, "cut Gus loose if he can't hire his own."    

Hypothetical:  if we did cut Gus loose for being too difficult, what's next?

1. Steele at the interim HC?  Kinda a trial run, no risk.

2. Gosh the media would trip over themselves to get to Auburn for coverage.   I presume you fire JJ for mismanagement of his lead dog and sled team.  Plausible?

3.  Who could you realistically hire if you don't tag K Steele as your HC?  

Archived