Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Plan A was Briles.  Was a done deal for months, JJ b@tched out on it, pissed everyone off.  By everyone Gus and BOT.  

Literally every single source I have seen confirmed this at one point or another although a few are balking on it now.

I completely do NOT trust Crepea. How do we know he is not blowing the whole situation out of proportion in order to sabotage the coaching search? He has never been fond of Auburn and has written hit pieces in the past.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Question? How do you no improvement offense guys think the season would have played out with a healthy Pettway and Sean? Was the offense not moving right along up into those guys got hurt? Bammers are whining the natty slipped from them because Bo S got hurt..you don't think the injury return from Mike Williams and the suspension return of Cain did not help Clemson...does Bama get as far without Hurts? He won a few games for Bama with his legs alone...just wanna know how you guys think the season and offense would have fared if Bubba and saw did not get hurt?

Would have beat UGA, the rest of the season would have been exactly the same. The only 3 losses either was injured for were UGA, bama and OK. Pettway played against OK and the offense with SW, while better than the alternative, would not have kept up with OK or bama. So...9-4 with all the same exact off-season shenanigans as Rhett saw his chance and ran for the hills and beating UGA wouldn't have changed that. 

1 hour ago, aubie57 said:

IMO, if that article is true, I believe CGM should walk out now. It's his team, he should make the hire he wants to make. If the ship sinks, so be it. Meddling from the powers that be is an age old problem at AU.

I want to see both lists before I pick a side.

WDE!

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

FOR ONCE I am with JJ. It pains me to admit this. If Gus is that freaking stubborn that he does not want to hire the best possible coaches across the board (not just this OC hire) then he is putting his selfish stubborn ways ahead of whats best for Auburn then that is a fireable offense.  I mean Chip Lindsey and some dude I have never heard of from nc state those were his first 2 choices? Holy hell that is awful. Just cut our losses and can him now. They are just delaying the inevitable.  Having said all that if JJ would just hire a legitimate proven head coach and not just keep settling for little puppets he thinks he can control we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. He puts more stock in to hiring a proven commodity for a coordinator than he does a head coach. If we had the right head coach these hires we would not sweat because there is total trust in the captain of the ship. But since its Gus who has lost the confidence of a lot of people it seems like then there is extra emphasis on hiring a really good OC who in theory can help gus get out of his own way because the man is stubborn and refuses to change.

Once again what is it...did Gus want one of the Briles and was told no? Were they considered one of his potential yes men? Are they not considered some of the best available offensive minds out there? Did JJ or some big wig veto him hiring one of the two? Or did he want some HS coach from Podunk Arkansas....Unless I have missed it has he ever hired a coach from HS for a major spot on his staff? Did he really want some HS coach and the PTB stepped in and said whoa wait a minute even though he has never hired a HS coach....I am confused as hell

So let me get this straight. We had a meltdown on this board yesterday because Noel Mazzone's name was supposedly at the top of the list. Some of the people having the biggest meltdowns think that Gus should be/should have been fired this year and that the PTB are in the right with this situation. But yet the PTB are the people demanding Noel Mazzone and will be the same people doing the hiring next time? Are these the same people that wanted to hire Houston Nutt and caused the Tubberville buyout?  Am I confused or do I have everything correct?  

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Once again what is it...did Gus want one of the Briles and was told no? Were they considered one of his potential yes men? Are they not considered some of the best available offensive minds out there? Did JJ or some big wig veto him hiring one of the two? Or did he want some HS coach from Podunk Arkansas....Unless I have missed it has he ever hired a coach from HS for a major spot on his staff? Did he really want some HS coach and the PTB stepped in and said whoa wait a minute even though he has never hired a HS coach....I am confused as hell

I kind of think Bobby Bentley was brought in as an analyst to ultimately take over for Rhett.

WDE!

4 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Would have beat UGA, the rest of the season would have been exactly the same. The only 3 losses either was injured for were UGA, bama and OK. Pettway played against OK and the offense with SW, while better than the alternative, would not have kept up with OK or bama. So...9-4 with all the same exact off-season shenanigans as Rhett saw his chance and ran for the hills and beating UGA wouldn't have changed that. 

Horse crap. The severely limited offense kept up with Bama in the first half (thanks to the defense). If we had SW and Pettway, that game looks entirely different in the second half. The problem in that game was the offense not being able to stay on the field; if we have SW, the defense doesn't get worn out and that game stays competitive.

Aside from that, if we win the UGA game we are playing for Atlanta..who knows, that could have been the confidence or competition the team needed to pull out the win. The UGA win would have changed the season entirely.

7 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I completely do NOT trust Crepea. How do we know he is not blowing the whole situation out of proportion in order to sabotage the coaching search? He has never been fond of Auburn and has written hit pieces in the past.

The only thing in there I have not seen or heard from people close to the program is the bit about JJ providing a list although it would not surprise me at all.

3 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

So let me get this straight. We had a meltdown on this board yesterday because Noel Mazzone's name was supposedly at the top of the list. Some of the people having the biggest meltdowns think that Gus should be/should have been fired this year and that the PTB are in the right with this situation. But yet the PTB are the people demanding Noel Mazzone and will be the same people doing the hiring next time? Are these the same people that wanted to hire Houston Nutt and caused the Tubberville buyout?  Am I confused or do I have everything correct?  

Some people here just refuse to be happy about anything. Hatred of Gus runs deep. Sometimes, I wish we had more bandwagon fans so they would hop the heck off and go whine somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

FOR ONCE I am with JJ. It pains me to admit this. If Gus is that freaking stubborn that he does not want to hire the best possible coaches across the board (not just this OC hire) then he is putting his selfish stubborn ways ahead of Auburn and that is a fireable offense.  I mean Chip Lindsey and some dude I have never heard of from nc state those were his first 2 choices? Holy hell that is awful. Just cut our losses and can him now. They are just delaying the inevitable.  Having said all that if JJ would just hire a legitimate proven head coach and not just keep settling for little puppets he thinks he can control we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. He puts more stock in to hiring a proven commodity for a coordinator than he does a head coach. If we had the right head coach these hires we would not sweat because there is total trust in the captain of the ship. But since its Gus who has lost the confidence of a lot of people it seems like then there is extra emphasis on hiring a really good OC who in theory can help gus get out of his own way because the man is stubborn and refuses to change.

Well stated and sounds plausible.   Also makes me want to puke because it seems likely.  Time to cut bait and cut ties if this correct.  Hire Steele - 

5 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

I kind of think Bobby Bentley was brought in as an analyst to ultimately take over for Rhett.

WDE!

Ok so he is RB coach at USCe...so he should be a candidate right? If he was brought in to replace Rhett ..what's the hold up...Btw Bentley is a pretty good coach 

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Ok so he is RB coach at USCe...so he should be a candidate right? If he was brought in to replace Rhett ..what's the hold up...Btw Bentley is a pretty good coach 

1. No coordinating or QB coaching experience at the college level. 2. Could be seen by the PTB as another yes man for Gus.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Literally every single source I have seen confirmed this at one point or another although a few are balking on it now.

i have not heard about the JJ list of that article

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Jake, most likely.  Don't know if he would leave USCe since he's got such a good line on the starting job next year.  I don't know, though.  Since they pulled his redshirt I guess he could transfer and redshirt while Stidham plays, then mix things up in 2018.

WDE!

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

i have not heard about the JJ list of that article

My post you replied to was specifically about the KB being plan A & done deal for months. I went back & bolded your part I was referring to.

But yeah. I had not seen that before that article either.

2 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

^this..

JJ made this situation, not Gus.

Everybody involved is culpable IMO.

27 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

I think that if we had beaten UGA with a healthy SW and Bubba who knows with the turds. The Iron Bowl could been much tighter with these guys healthy. If we had finished 9-3 for the regular season and 6-2 in conference play, why on God's green planet would folks complain over this. We did improve a lot from last season with going 5-3 in the SEC. Yes, the UGA was ugly, but crucifying everyone who played or coached for Auburn this past season, does not make much sense folks.

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

What about this guy.

Doug Meacham joined the TCU football staff as offensive coordinator in December 2013.

In each of his two seasons, the Horned Frogs’ offensive attack has ranked among the nation’s best.

In 2015, for the second straight year, TCU set single-season school records in several major statistical categories. Additionally, the Horned Frogs ranked third nationally in total offense (562.8 yards per game) and seventh in scoring (42.1 points per game).

In his first season at TCU, Meacham helped the Horned Frogs become the nation’s most improved offense in total yards (+188.2 ypg) and scoring (+21.4 ppg). TCU’s 21.4 points per game improvement broke the Big 12 record of 19.1 set by Oklahoma in 1999 (35.8; 16.7, 1998) and was the largest improvement by any team since Northwestern went up 24.0 points between 1999-00.

The 2014 Horned Frogs ranked second in the nation in scoring (46.5 ppg) and tied for fifth in total offense (533.0 ypg). TCU set 26 school records for offense in winning its first Big 12 championship as well as the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.

Meacham was a 2014 finalist for the Broyles Award, recognizing the nation’s top assistant coach.

Meacham came to the Horned Frogs after serving as co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Houston in the 2013 season.

TCU marks the sixth school that Meacham has been an offensive coordinator. In addition to his role at Houston, Meacham coordinated offenses at Samford (2002-04), Henderson State (1999-00), Jacksonville State (1997-99) and Georgia Military (1994-96).

Prior to arriving at Houston, Meacham spent eight seasons (2005-12) as the tight ends/inside receivers coach at Oklahoma State. He was the Cowboys’ passing game coordinator in the 2008-09 campaigns. Meacham was part of two of the most successful eras in Oklahoma State football history, first as a student-athlete (1984-87) and then during his tenure as an assistant coach. As a student-athlete, Meacham was teammates with TCU wide receivers coach Curtis Luper.

The Cowboys ranked in the top 10 nationally in offense and averaged at least 40 points in five of Meacham’s last six seasons in Stillwater. Oklahoma State was in the top five in the country in total offense in the 2010-12 campaigns, when it scored more than 50 points 15 times, broke the 60-point mark in seven contests, 70 points twice and the 80-point plateau once.

Meacham coached 2012 first-team All-Big 12 receiver Josh Stewart into one of the best sophomore seasons in OSU history with 101 catches for 1,210 yards and seven touchdowns. Stewart’s 101 receptions were the fourth-most in school history and his 1,210 receiving yards trailed only Justin Blackmon (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Dez Bryant (Dallas Cowboys) on the all-time OSU list for sophomore wideouts.

Inside receiver Josh Cooper (Cleveland Browns) and tight end Brandon Pettigrew (Detroit Lions) were among other OSU standouts coached directly by Meacham.

Meacham was instrumental in establishing a record-setting offense at Samford. He directed an attack in 2004 that set several school records, including passing yards (2,986), pass completions (256) and completion percentage (59.8).

Prior to Samford, Meacham worked the same kind of magic at Henderson State, where he was offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. During the 2000 season, Meacham coached an offense that broke two Division II national passing and receiving records, four Gulf South Conference marks and nine school passing and receiving records.

Meacham’s history of record-breaking offenses, however, began even before his stint at Henderson. Upon joining the staff at Jacksonville State in 1997, the Gamecocks went 7-4 and recorded the biggest turnaround in Division I-AA. During his tenure at Jacksonville State, Meacham’s offensive unit broke 21 school passing and receiving records.

Meacham also spent three years as the offensive coordinator at Georgia Military College. He first joined the GMC staff in 1991 and served as offensive line and tight ends coach. In 1994, he was promoted to offensive coordinator and helped guide the school to an impressive 35-8 record during his tenure.

During his playing days at Oklahoma State, Meacham was on teams that participated in four bowl games (1983 Bluebonnet, 1984 Gator, 1985 Gator and 1987 Sun). He was a three-year starter on the offensive line for the Cowboys and had a string of 35 consecutive starts. During his Oklahoma State playing career, the Cowboys fashioned an overall record of 34-9.

Meacham earned all-Big Eight honors and was an honorable mention All-American as a senior. He was a captain of the 1987 Sun Bowl team that defeated West Virginia. Meacham blocked for both 1988 Heisman Trophy winner Barry Sanders and two-time Big Eight Player of the Year Thurman Thomas.

In high school, Meacham was a three-year starter and two-time all-district selection at Arlington’s Sam Houston High School.

Meacham was born on Dec. 16, 1964, in Arlington, Texas. He is married to the former Kendall Deas and they have three children: Peyton, Cole and Brooks.

Good post indeed.

Hearing CHH is going to be named OC from Rant? If so would Gus just take over the QB position?

If we go 8-4 again Gus has to go, as does JJ. But I'm yearning to hear for a replacement. If we have to fire Gus I hope Sumlin keeps his job. I wouldn't want to compete with TAMU for Chip Kelly.

45 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Some people here just refuse to be happy about anything. Hatred of Gus runs deep. Sometimes, I wish we had more bandwagon fans so they would hop the heck off and go whine somewhere else.

Please give me one thing we should be happy about with gus since after the ole miss game in 2014? I would love to be happy with gus and so do others. This has NOTHING to do with him as a person. He is here to win football games he is not doing enough of that. simple as that. 

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Hearing CHH is going to be named OC from Rant? If so would Gus just take over the QB position?

If we go 8-4 again Gus has to go, as does JJ. But I'm yearning to hear for a replacement. If we have to fire Gus I hope Sumlin keeps his job. I wouldn't want to compete with TAMU for Chip Kelly.

who is chh?

Archived